Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Cabot Bleaching Oil/ Weathering Stain

27K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  PACman 
#1 ·
Ok I need some help…….Have an exterior that consist of White Cedar shakes. The shakes came prefinished from “Michigan Prefinished” and were put on the residence in 2008. The new home owner wants to “freshen up” the exterior.
The rep from “Michigan Prefinished” stated that they applied Cabot Bleaching Oil, let it dry, and shipped. It gave the shakes a great coastal look without the mold.
The new owner wants to get some more grey back into the shakes.
I’m thinking a 3:1 ratio of Cabot weathering stain to Cabot bleaching oil. Can I do this and not have reaction to the bleaching oil already on shakes? Anyone use these products? Any advice would be helpful.

Respectfully,
Brain

#4 ·
I have to put a bid for a house that has new cedar siding and some of the old cedar siding . They previously used bleaching oil. In some areas The new cedar meets with the old siding. I've never used bleaching oil .
do you have any inputs? I hear it smells bad, is it a 1 coat type of deal.
I plan on brushing it to make it penetrate better.

I just don't know how the old is going to blend with the new (once its its had its time to do its thing)

Also hows the new formulation working for people?

#6 ·
Can't believe the bad advice here

I registered expecting to discuss topics with professionals but am so disappointed. I read this thread regarding Cabot Bleaching Oil and adding some color. User NACE is obviously clueless say that you should not add any stain. NACE - read the label on the bleaching oil stain. It says to add some color mix with Cabot 6244 Weathering stain.

I put Maine White Cedar on a beach house in Maine and mixed bleaching oil to weathering stain 3/1 and it was awesome.

If you don't know anything - don't post here.

#11 ·
I registered expecting to discuss topics with professionals but am so disappointed. I read this thread regarding Cabot Bleaching Oil and adding some color. User NACE is obviously clueless say that you should not add any stain. NACE - read the label on the bleaching oil stain. It says to add some color mix with Cabot 6244 Weathering stain.

I put Maine White Cedar on a beach house in Maine and mixed bleaching oil to weathering stain 3/1 and it was awesome.

If you don't know anything - don't post here.
Give us five minutes and we'll reveal your main personality type :vs_unimpressed:

#7 ·
Please be careful how you begin posting here. NACE is overall one of our most knowledgeable members here, by far. He may have gotten this one wrong, but if there is one member I need advice from on paint chemistry, product knowledge, industrial specs, etc NACE is my number one choice.

First impression matter and posting like this on your first post in reply to a more than 6 year old thread is not putting your best foot forward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.