California Ultra (not Ultraplate) - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pete Martin the Painter
  • 1 Post By thinkpainting/nick
  • 1 Post By Californiapaints26

Old 03-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 234
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default California Ultra (not Ultraplate)

I got to use the new California paint Ultra (not Ultraplate) and it is an awesome paint. California hit a home run with this one.
Really easy to work work, covers very well, hides awesome, and the finished product is incredible, the paint was as hard as a rock in not time (see below) with a very smooth finish. I cut the eggshell an rolled with an Arroworthy micro and had to look hard to tell where the cut and the rolled meet...it went on that smooth.
I used the satin in White and eggshell in Rain Drop.
The thing that really sold me on this product was the results that I had when I had to fix a mistake. The home owner removed some wall paper. I sanded the wall smooth and primed with Gradz. After I rolled out the paint, I noticed there was a big section that I did not sand smooth enough. I am thinking I screwed myself. I wanted an easy day today, and I knew from past experiences that if I tried to sand the paint too soon it was going to be a big mess. Paint recommends 4-6 hours between coats, so I am thinking tomorrow is going to turn into a long day. But, I try my luck. After 30 minutes I try sanding with 220 grit by hand, and the paint sands to dust...does not gum up. After 1 hour I had to use my Festool DS400 with 180 grit at full power to get the paint off and the wall and smooth...no gumming up at all, and I did not have to do any skim coating to fix the difference between the areas with and without paint. I put a coat of Gardz on, wait for it to dry and rolled it out with the finish coat before the end of the day.

I found both the satin and eggshell to have a bit less sheen than what I am use to. I usually use Regal Select on walls and Advance on trim (if the trim is nice enough to justify it).

If you can get this stuff, try it out. I do not think you will be disappointed.

P.S. California, for some reason, does not have any info on its website about this paint, nor is other new paint Malibu.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Martin the Painter For This Useful Post:
MurphysPaint (03-24-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Cali has not updated the website with the new product information. I got the Ultra in a couple of weeks ago. It is kind of a conglomeration of the Muralo Ultra, Cali SuperScrub, and the Graham Aquaborne ceramic. They took the best features of all of them and combined it into a new product. It is intended to compete with Emerald and Aura, and in my quite humble opinion it pretty much wipes the field with either one of them. The Kitchen and Bath Ultra is pretty awesome as well. It may be a few weeks to a couple of months before they get the website updated. If you need data sheets your rep can get them for you but as of yet the dealers don't have access to them.
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Cali has not updated the website with the new product information. I got the Ultra in a couple of weeks ago. It is kind of a conglomeration of the Muralo Ultra, Cali SuperScrub, and the Graham Aquaborne ceramic. They took the best features of all of them and combined it into a new product. It is intended to compete with Emerald and Aura, and in my quite humble opinion it pretty much wipes the field with either one of them. The Kitchen and Bath Ultra is pretty awesome as well. It may be a few weeks to a couple of months before they get the website updated. If you need data sheets your rep can get them for you but as of yet the dealers don't have access to them.
I believe it is the best paint that I have ever used, and it cost me about $18 less than Aura.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,900
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Mural Ultra NKA California Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
I believe it is the best paint that I have ever used, and it cost me about $18 less than Aura.

This may be the paint I was talking about on your Satin Imprevo thread. I was recently at a local paint store that carries Muralo. I asked to see a quart and he showed me a can that looks basically like this:

http://shop.americanbeadboard.com/im...aint02-900.png

except that instead of Muralo next to the rainbow colors, the name is California. Other than the name switch, I would have thought it was Muralo.

If this is the same paint that I used to use before I quit painting in the 1990s, I can understand why you like it. I will be interested to see how you compare this as a trim paint to BM Satin Impervo.

Question for PACman: how do you know that this paint is a kind of a conglomeration of the Muralo Ultra, Cali SuperScrub, and the Graham Aquaborne ceramic and not just the old Muralo Ultra repackaged as a California paint? Did you speak with someone at California? Just curious. From what you said, it seems that this new hybrid might be better than the old Muralo Ultra. If that is the case, I definately want to try some.

futtyos
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,900
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
PACman, is this what the can looks like?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1334_.jpg

fittyos
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Muralo Ceramic ruled the roost years ago as did there Ultra line. California makes the best ceiling paint on the planet. Just saying.
PACman likes this.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by futtyos View Post
This may be the paint I was talking about on your Satin Imprevo thread. I was recently at a local paint store that carries Muralo. I asked to see a quart and he showed me a can that looks basically like this:

http://shop.americanbeadboard.com/im...aint02-900.png

except that instead of Muralo next to the rainbow colors, the name is California. Other than the name switch, I would have thought it was Muralo.

If this is the same paint that I used to use before I quit painting in the 1990s, I can understand why you like it. I will be interested to see how you compare this as a trim paint to BM Satin Impervo.

Question for PACman: how do you know that this paint is a kind of a conglomeration of the Muralo Ultra, Cali SuperScrub, and the Graham Aquaborne ceramic and not just the old Muralo Ultra repackaged as a California paint? Did you speak with someone at California? Just curious. From what you said, it seems that this new hybrid might be better than the old Muralo Ultra. If that is the case, I definately want to try some.

futtyos
being a California dealer i do hear some things. My understanding is that they benchmark tested the premium product lines from the three companies and started developing the Ultra from the best product lines in each sheen level. What they did to improve them I have no idea and probably never will. In my opinion, Graham Aquaborne Ceramic was the best flat of them, Cali SuperScrub was the best matte and eggshell, and Muralo had the best satin and semigloss. Whether that is how it played out or not i really don't know. I have some old Muralo Ultra so maybe I'll compare the two myself and see what I come up with. I do know that there was a bit of a price increase to me with the new Ultra line.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by futtyos View Post
PACman, is this what the can looks like?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1334_.jpg

fittyos
That's the stuff!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpainting/nick View Post
Muralo Ceramic ruled the roost years ago as did there Ultra line. California makes the best ceiling paint on the planet. Just saying.
The ceiling paints didn't change although there was a label change. They did keep the Muralo 268 ceiling paint. It is labelled as "Muralo 268 ceiling paint". That was one of Muralo's best products.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 204
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,822 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

My California rep is my original Graham rep and the guy who created Graham Ceramic shows up in town still as well.

I have been told that the Ultra Flat and the Ultra satin are the exact Graham ceramic products, not a blend of Graham and other lines. The other products in the Ultra line are the best eggshell, semi-gloss, etc from the California/muralo lines.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
My California rep is my original Graham rep and the guy who created Graham Ceramic shows up in town still as well.

I have been told that the Ultra Flat and the Ultra satin are the exact Graham ceramic products, not a blend of Graham and other lines. The other products in the Ultra line are the best eggshell, semi-gloss, etc from the California/muralo lines.
I'm not saying that they changed all of the products, just that they took the best and possibly altered a couple of sheens. The Graham flat would be hard to improve on for one. They might have altered gloss levels on a couple of products, i don't know for sure. They might have just kept the formulae the same and just re-labelled them. Who knows? I just know that what i have tested in the Ultra line is pretty dang good paint, in my humble opinion the best i have seen to date.Incredible hide, excellent application, silky smooth finish, etc. It definitely justifies the price range much better then Emerald and Aura. In fact for most of you it should be lower then either one if your dealer knows how to deal with painters!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 112
View thamberg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I'm not saying that they changed all of the products, just that they took the best and possibly altered a couple of sheens. The Graham flat would be hard to improve on for one. They might have altered gloss levels on a couple of products, i don't know for sure. They might have just kept the formulae the same and just re-labelled them. Who knows? I just know that what i have tested in the Ultra line is pretty dang good paint, in my humble opinion the best i have seen to date.Incredible hide, excellent application, silky smooth finish, etc. It definitely justifies the price range much better then Emerald and Aura. In fact for most of you it should be lower then either one if your dealer knows how to deal with painters!
I haven't had the chance to use any California products, but it sounds like my favorite wall paint (Cloverdale/Rodda Ecologic) http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/ecologic shares the exact same characteristics that you and Pete just described. To have this paint perform like it does for just over $30/Gallon makes it difficult for me to ever use anything else. Have you or anyone else here been able to use this paint?
thamberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamberg View Post
I haven't had the chance to use any California products, but it sounds like my favorite wall paint (Cloverdale/Rodda Ecologic) http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/ecologic shares the exact same characteristics that you and Pete just described. To have this paint perform like it does for just over $30/Gallon makes it difficult for me to ever use anything else. Have you or anyone else here been able to use this paint?
I have never heard of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Martin the Painter For This Useful Post:
thamberg (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 204
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,822 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I will have to try the Ultra stuff again, but being a long time Graham user, I switched to BM and use mainly Aura and do not expect to switch back.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I will have to try the Ultra stuff again, but being a long time Graham user, I switched to BM and use mainly Aura and do not expect to switch back.
I have not used a ton of Aura, almost exclusively eggshell or matte when I have, but I think it is better. It is much easier to work with, never dried on my brush like Aura, and a lot cheaper. This is based on one use of the Ultra.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,608
View paintball head's Photo Album My Photos

I've been using the Muralo Ultra SG on all trim and doors for about 15 years. It levels great brushing, sprays amazing. California bought them a couple years ago and left the labeling alone obviously.

I use Aura for walls on my high end jobs, IMHO it is the best wall paint. Muralo ultra matte is a close second for walls.
paintball head is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintball head For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
I have not used a ton of Aura, almost exclusively eggshell or matte when I have, but I think it is better. It is much easier to work with, never dried on my brush like Aura, and a lot cheaper. This is based on one use of the Ultra.

This post is a bit confusing...it is the California Ultra that I believe is better.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
The ceiling paints didn't change although there was a label change. They did keep the Muralo 268 ceiling paint. It is labelled as "Muralo 268 ceiling paint". That was one of Muralo's best products.
Yea I'm talking about the California ceiling paint notbthe Muralo . I've used both for well over 30 plus years. Both California and Muralo made great products. I also liked the Aquafleck from Cali paints much better than the multispec back when multi color was everything.
Attached Images

Last edited by thinkpainting/nick; 03-27-2017 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Spelling
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpainting/nick View Post
Yea I'm talking about the California ceiling paint notbthe Muralo . I've used both for well over 30 plus years. Both California and Muralo made great products. I also liked the Aquafleck from Cali paints much better than the multispec back when multi color was everything.
the cali diamond is an awesome ceiling paint. To bad the painters around here can't justify paying a little more for it. I guess the Promar 200 is working perfect for them or something.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #20

View Californiapaints26's Photo Album My Photos

Great stuff... our dealership just got some in recently as well
Californiapaints26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None