Can a Fiberglass shower be painted? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 1 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 01-03-2019, 12:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 318
View Local paint pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Can a Fiberglass shower be painted?

I know it can be done, but can it be done right? What product is the best? What did you do for prep? Is this even a feasible idea? Please chime in!
Local paint pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Local paint pro For This Useful Post:
mdZX (01-03-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 12:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 118
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

I don't see any compelling reason to try and do it. I wouldn't attach my name to any such endeavor.

Let Bathfitters and the tub refinish people mess with it. How much could it possibly pay?
lilpaintchic likes this.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14
View mdZX's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local paint pro View Post
I know it can be done, but can it be done right? What product is the best? What did you do for prep? Is this even a feasible idea? Please chime in!
I know the Idaho Painter on YouTube did a video on this subject. End result... He didn't recommend it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
mdZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #4

I'd like to clarify my response a bit.

Certainly, there are products and systems out there to do what you want to do. However, it depends on what equipment you have and what you are willing to invest in.

I've always viewed this sort of work as its own specialty. I don't have any idea of what you normally do, so I was a bit quick off the gun to dissuade. If you already have a good HVLP system and fresh air breathing apparatus, I wouldn't hesitate to move into this area of work, if you believe you can expand on it.

I might be 100% wrong, but I don't believe that this kind of stuff is something to sideline in. In my mind, once you have the system down, you market hard to landlords and realtors. There is plenty of work out there for this specialty, but it is expensive in both barrier to entry and material costs.

You'll need a supplier relationship as well for your products.

I'm thinking that you can charge maybe 4 or 5 hundred for a run-of-the-mill tub refinish. I may be outta line, but that's what I'm seeing.
Local paint pro likes this.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,432
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Old cast iron tub? Yes typically with a polyamide epoxy. Fiberglass? Cheaper to replace than it would be to paint. Not worth it unless your really strapped for potato money
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
Old cast iron tub? Yes typically with a polyamide epoxy. Fiberglass? Cheaper to replace than it would be to paint. Not worth it unless your really strapped for potato money
Property management will pay for it...much cheaper and easier on their end.

There's people out there making good bank doing them...but that is what they do.

Three a day can make a decent living. You get a big complex and knock out 4 or 5 a day, you'd be reasonably well pleased on the way to the bank.

Not my line of work, but it could be the right fit for someone who is motivated.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 239
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamountPaint View Post
I don't see any compelling reason to try and do it. I wouldn't attach my name to any such endeavor.

Let Bathfitters and the tub refinish people mess with it. How much could it possibly pay?
No one really answered the question. He didn't say he was going into the shower refinishing business. He just asked if it could be done and what the best product would be.
I personally don't know the best product. But it can easily be done for sure.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 318
View Local paint pro's Photo Album My Photos

THats just it Paramountpaint, the request to do it comes from a landlord/ property manager. They hire me a lot! If i take the job, it's more or less to try it and see if it works . If it fails they're perfectly content just replacing it, with no risk to me. I'm really interested in some product suggestions. I already have all the equipment i think, minus the fresh-air breathing but i am good at holding my breath. lol.

Last edited by Local paint pro; 01-03-2019 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: grammar
Local paint pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local paint pro View Post
THats just it Paramountpaint, the request to do it comes from a landlord/ property manager. They hire me a lot! If i take the job, it's more or less to try it and see if it works . If it fails they're perfectly content just replacing it, with no risk to me. I'm really interested in some product suggestions. I already have all the equipment i think, minus the fresh-air breathing but i am good at holding my breath. lol.

regular polyamide epoxy's hold up great you can get them from many paint stores in 2 gallon kits since they're mostly marketed towards industrial use. You can get pint, quart, 1/2 gallon, and gallon size kits from http://www.klasskote.com/epoxy_bathtub_paint that's where I get smaller size kits from anyway. They're stuff is roughly 2x as expensive than V400 for example BUT having it in smaller kits is a trade off of course.
finishesbykevyn likes this.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 01-03-2019 at 11:14 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
RH (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
RH

Rewards Points: 5,578
Thanked 15,399 Times in 8,076 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
regular polyamide epoxy's hold up great you can get them from many paint stores in 2 gallon kits since they're mostly marketed towards industrial use. You can get pint, quart, 1/2 gallon, and gallon size kits from http://www.klasskote.com/epoxy_bathtub_paint that's where I get smaller size kits from anyway. They're stuff is roughly 2x as expensive than V400 for example BUT having it in smaller kits is a trade off of course.
Any idea of the life expectancy and cleanabilty of this type of product used in this way? I would tend to expect that standing water and aggressive cleaning by some tenants would take its toll rather quickly.
Gymschu likes this.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Any idea of the life expectancy and cleanabilty of this type of product used in this way? I would tend to expect that standing water and aggressive cleaning by some tenants would take its toll rather quickly.

These types of epoxy's are rated for warm-hot water submersion use and are very chemical and abrasion resistant, these types of epoxy are also used as pool paints for example. I would expect them to be in good service for the 5-7 year range possibly more. Then a simple scuff sand and recoat. They can be applied directly to unpainted fiberglass after cleaning and scuff sand.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 01-03-2019 at 01:07 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
RH (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,184
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

You have to clean then really good. nothing sticks to soap scum. I would pull the drain at least partially up, clean it three times, with tsp, sand the crap out of it, clean it again, then use any system for refinishing tubs. You cant count on them to last, but the people hiring you probably know that, so I wouldnt worry too much. Just make it clear, there is no warranty.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None