be careful with your ladders, kids - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 2 Post By PaintPerfect
  • 2 Post By jennifertemple
  • 1 Post By Worker Bee

Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 5,126
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos
Default be careful with your ladders, kids

Watch out for them power lines.

graphic pics: http://feedytv.com/pulled-ladder-ent...nfectious.html
PACman likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,324
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Watch out for them power lines.

graphic pics: http://feedytv.com/pulled-ladder-ent...nfectious.html
graphic? NSFL. I didn't need to see someone die this morning but I guess it shall serve as a graphic reminder.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75
View PaintPerfect's Photo Album My Photos

An EMT friend of mine had to go to a call where a guy powerwashing a house blasted water BEHIND the electrical meter box and connected to the electricity because the back of it was rusted out. He said a neighbor saw the person get blasted into the street, on fire, and dead. Yes indeed, watch those lines but ALSO watch those outlets, meter boxes, light fixtures, etc...
PACman and Woodco like this.
PaintPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 24
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

"Page Not Found", probably just as well, sounds pretty ugly!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,126
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

For the record, I never watched the video. I dont think I even realized there was a video. Page is working for me.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #6

Saw on YouTube, that was pretty horrible, worse was a second video where 4 painters died moving a scaffold. Keep me away from industrial painting!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Nice English on that page...he was infected with with electricity, but people were shocked to see him catch on fire momentarily???
Old 06-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
Nice English on that page...he was infected with with electricity, but people were shocked to see him catch on fire momentarily???

"All your base are belongs to us"

be careful with your ladders, kids-capture.jpg
Fman and slinger58 like this.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,772
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Broken link
Mr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

This is a good reminder for me as I currently have a home with 3 windows on the 2nd story of a house where access to them is partially blocked by the electrical service coming in. Gonna have to give some thought on how to safely get to them without frying myself.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 428
View Worker Bee's Photo Album My Photos

I am extremely paranoid when it come to electrical ( watch me get electricuted)... there is a plethora os things that can go wrong when working around where the power goes into the house.... your talking unlimited voltage, at unlimited amps... If your lucky, youll ground it and blow the transformer...on the pole...

Fiberglass ladder/wood ladder, or we dont touch it.
Worker Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
I am extremely paranoid when it come to electrical ( watch me get electricuted)... there is a plethora os things that can go wrong when working around where the power goes into the house.... your talking unlimited voltage, at unlimited amps... If your lucky, youll ground it and blow the transformer...on the pole...

Fiberglass ladder/wood ladder, or we dont touch it.

Even interior electric and be a real SOB! I walked away from a job that seemed likely to kill me. I was hired to straighten out the drywall tape work, prime and paint a basement reno. There were lumps of mud here and there on the wall. I used my painters blade to gently tap off the first one. DANG!!! It threw a big electric arc, burned a quarter size hole in my blade and left me shaky and dumbfounded! I told HO that the electrician had to be called back because it was a really big code violation.. (They had no permit for the work) ...Later: I was called to the house for a discussion with the electrician who said I was full of $hit!, what he did was notching and legal. I said, OH, no it is not, I spent years as an electrician's helper. Notching is cutting into the wood, A NOTCH to run the wire through, so live wires are not hidden in the drywall surface waiting to kill someone! I never did that job and have no idea if the work was fixed. I never got a call back. (Good!!)

Thank heaven for insulated handles!!!

Old 06-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:

Fiberglass ladder/wood ladder, or we don't touch it.

Even so, the arcing can jump as much as 150'! I was told this by a city guy who told me to back the He!! away from an area with a down line he was working. It is not common but short one of those lines and you have no idea what might happen!

Old 06-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #14

Its surprising how many people dismiss this danger... If its not safe, I call the power company, and I have only had to do that once...

We were painting the exterior of a house where the meter box was hanging off the side of the house, the husband says 'its been like that for awhile youll be fine...'

Nope, we called the power company before going to that side of the house. They came that afternoon and ran a new line from the pole, to the meter and hung a new meter... all for free to the home owner.

no painting job is worth dying for, or getting hurt over...

Speaking of which, I was pressure washing in Lewiston NY in 2009? It was thundering, but I only had a little more ways to go....

anyways, Everything around me turned pure white... the whitest white I have ever seen... the shrubbery, the shed, the ground were all shades of pure white... and it was DEAD silent... next thing I know, I am staring up at the sky in an absolute torrential downpour, the pressure washer was off with a huge burn mark on the side of it...

I tried to pull the rope to restart and it didnt even budge... Not sure what happened but we think the PW was struck by lightning... after that, the slightest rumble of thunder all pressure washing stops lol My boss was just glad I wasnt electrocuted.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
Even interior electric and be a real SOB! I walked away from a job that seemed likely to kill me. I was hired to straighten out the drywall tape work, prime and paint a basement reno. There were lumps of mud here and there on the wall. I used my painters blade to gently tap off the first one. DANG!!! It threw a big electric arc, burned a quarter size hole in my blade and left me shaky and dumbfounded! I told HO that the electrician had to be called back because it was a really big code violation.. (They had no permit for the work) ...Later: I was called to the house for a discussion with the electrician who said I was full of $hit!, what he did was notching and legal. I said, OH, no it is not, I spent years as an electrician's helper. Notching is cutting into the wood, A NOTCH to run the wire through, so live wires are not hidden in the drywall surface waiting to kill someone! I never did that job and have no idea if the work was fixed. I never got a call back. (Good!!)

Thank heaven for insulated handles!!!
If that happened to me, I would call the code enforcer... because someone will be killed...
jennifertemple likes this.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:21 PM   #16

Quote:
If that happened to me, I would call the code enforcer... because someone will be killed...

I was much younger then, if I saw that today , I would make the call!

Tags
None