Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Ceiling Prep - What do you do

5K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Toolnut 
#1 ·
Hi, just wondering what others do for prep of flat ceilings with flat paint on them. Do you always, or ever, sand, and do you clean? And, when I ask this I am thinking more of ceilings that are in living rooms or bedrooms. I am thinking that perhaps I am wasting time sanding and washing ceilings if is clear that they do not need it--in areas where the chances of dirt accumulating on ceiling is almost non-existent.

Thanks.:)

#6 ·
If you sand first on any surface the finish product will look\feel better.
I do not wash unless its all funked up. .
Do you wash after you sand, if not, what about any dust that might result from the sanding? I am not questioning your methods, I am just wondering if there is a need to wash after sanding a ceiling.

#8 ·
@pete the painter,

Sanding all the time.... like using primer all the time :rolleyes: in places that don't need it :whistling2: is a massive waste of time.

Flat on flat.... If it's not failing... Just paint that beotch and be done with it....

Perhaps all the down time you've been experiencing is influencing you.

Don't over think...

JUST DO!

:)

#11 ·
@pete the painter,

Perhaps all the down time you've been experiencing is influencing you.

Don't over think...

JUST DO!

:)
Thanks, I think you are a little right. But, I am almost positive that the down time is going to end very soon.

#18 ·
Pete- use a broom to get rid of cobwebs, pole sand lightly to get rid of any 'clinkers' as I call them, and then paint. You are only sanding to smooth what should be minor imperfections so there shouldn't be any dust as such to even necessitate a damp rag. If you have patched then sand and use your broom to clear what minimal dust there should be. I've hardly ever had to sand ceilings cos if you think about it - it would have been one soab'ing messy contractor / painter / ho to get dirt all the way up there. Unless yiu are painting college dorms then all bets are off.

#19 ·
Usually a broom is all that is needed. Pay special attention to the areas where the ceiling meets the walls and where there are air conditioning vents...I find those areas the nastiest in general. Like the others have said, you probably don't need to sand at all...if you see some goobers up there, just pole sand them quickly. The only time I worry about dust is if I have had to sand over new mud. Then, I use a sponge on one of those poles that has a device to wring the water from the sponge...I'm lazy that way. Glad to hear your slow time might be coming to a halt soon.

#20 ·
andy1015 said:
maybe light pole sand...and I use a nappy roller....I like the colossus...they have up to 1.5 inch nap...goes fast and leaves a nice stipple...also, I like to use a nappy whizz roller around the edges....when you use a brush, it leaves a different texture...
So, what your saying is you don't cut in ceilings for no reason?

Ole isn't gonna like this at all:jester:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.