Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

ceramathane blushing

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  nogg 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has stripped a table top,stained it dark and now is getting a milky look after a third coat of ceramathane.I told him I would ask around to see what the problem and solution is.Has anyone had this happen?will another coat help?That usually solves it with laquer but I dont know about the waterborne finishes.

#3 · (Edited)
sounds like too many coats too soon or product was applied to thick causing moisture intrapment. try wiping a small test area with xylene to reopen the coating and allow the moisture to escape. xylene can leave trace oils behind which could affect the next coat if one is being applied, mek or lacquer thinner may also work to solve this issue without leaving oils since they are not hydrocarbon solvents.

#5 ·
An update.I finally saw this project.the stain is a water base ebony stain,very opaqe.this lady wants a matte finish.the ceramathane is not crystal clear but milky looking and you can see the brush strokes.is there a better waterborne clear matte to use over black?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.