Cherge less for potential referrals? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 252
View sincere painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cherge less for potential referrals?

I've been told never lower your prices and I agree. At least where I'm at in my "career". Either charge nothing or stick to your pricing.

One exception that I've considered would be if the ho could be a valuable referral generator. I'm wandering how others would approach this.

I would write more but I can no longer see what I'm typing why does this forum have this bug??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Painting & More

Rewards Points: 564
View A+HomeWork's Photo Album My Photos

I definitely have a few clients I am pretty reasonable with because I know I am their only painter and they always suggest my name to others. I don't tell them I cut them a deal, just don't ever push new pricing on them.
This really only applies to about 5 clients.
aaron61 (01-19-2013), Gough (01-20-2013), sincere painter (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Why would you lower your price for the potential of getting referrals? That's like giving all the candy away upfront. You want to award customers down the line after they've been valuable referral engines, then that's great. Most people I know that are that generous never even expect anything back in return other than quality work. People that want you to give them discounts for being potentially good customers - those are the folks that aren't going to be good customers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to plainpainter For This Useful Post:
CliffK (01-19-2013), George Z (01-19-2013), NCPaint1 (01-19-2013), PressurePros (01-19-2013), Repaint Florida (01-19-2013), sincere painter (01-19-2013), Ultimate (01-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
wje

Rewards Points: 1,048
Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,228 Posts
View wje's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere painter View Post
I've been told never lower your prices and I agree. At least where I'm at in my "career". Either charge nothing or stick to your pricing.

One exception that I've considered would be if the ho could be a valuable referral generator. I'm wandering how others would approach this.

I would write more but I can no longer see what I'm typing why does this forum have this bug??

What exactly do you mean by referral generator?

I hope you are not talking about one of the home owners that says "If you can give me a great price, I can get you a lot of work. I have a lot of friends who need a paint job."

Those people are full of it and never generate any leads, as a matter of fact, they are usually nickel and diming the whole time the job exists' asking for free extras the whole way. I almost always pice those types of jobs higher, knowing they are going to be a pain to work for.

Also don't forget, part of the referral you will be getting from these types of job will be "cheap prices". So when you start out with the source of the leads having had you paint for cheap, it is going to be hard to justify your pricing to every follow up job thereafter. It is a slippery slope.

Keep your prices firm, Do a good job, and if they are truly going to ive you leads, they will do so without a discount.

wje is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wje For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (01-19-2013), BrushJockey (01-19-2013), CliffK (01-19-2013), Dave Mac (01-19-2013), George Z (01-19-2013), Gough (01-20-2013), Gwarel (01-20-2013), PressurePros (01-19-2013), Rbriggs82 (01-19-2013), Repaint Florida (01-19-2013), Repaintpro (01-20-2013), sincere painter (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,548
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,783 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos

interior decorators are notorious for this.....''i need some work done can you give me a bid?...im an interior decorator so i can get you tons of work''.....(insert batting eyes here) ..............kiss my ass

Last edited by Ole34; 01-19-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ole34 For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (01-19-2013), CliffK (01-19-2013), Gough (01-20-2013), hotwing7 (03-02-2013), SeattleHomeServices (01-20-2013), sincere painter (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 5,778
Thanked 15,421 Times in 8,092 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I would never give a discount with the expectation of getting referrals. I do have a handful of long time customers who I've received a lot of repeat business from plus a large numbers of referrals. They are quality customers, as are the referrals I've received. I have no problem giving them a modest discount as a way of showing my appreciation and I make sure they know why they are getting it. In my mind it's no different than paying a fee to a lead generating service - except these are usually sure things and of a consistently high quality.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Gough (01-20-2013), sincere painter (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View SteveJabbs's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
What exactly do you mean by referral generator?

"If you can give me a great price, I can get you a lot of work. I have a lot of friends who need a paint job."
If you give me a good price, I will recommend you to my neighbor.
If you give me a good price, I will recommend you to my friend who needs painting.

Then once you get the job, you may hear this.

If you do a good job, I will bring you back in the fall to paint other rooms.
If you do a good job, I will recommend you to my neighbor.
If you do a good job, I will recommend you to my friend who needs painting.

And its a good thing they tell you this - or they surly would have gotten a hack job at a ridiculously high price!

Last edited by SteveJabbs; 01-19-2013 at 12:26 PM..
SteveJabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveJabbs For This Useful Post:
sincere painter (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Just like painters say "give me a better price, I'm going to use a ton of this." (Me) Oh yeah? How much do you need? (Painter) "3 gallons"......

^^^^ this happens more than you think, or I care to remember.

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 252
View sincere painter's Photo Album My Photos

I think research hound is right on with this one. I was kind of thinking more along the lines of trading work for advertising.

I'm sure, over time, it becomes more of a relationship than a gambling proposal. I appreciate the way this has been construed by all.

Also, in general, the "arrangement" at first is more successful if the trade is equal; like I'll give you work if you're posted advertising has generated equally(at least) profitable outcomes for me. For example.

Love the forum. Hate the hack. Just had to say the second part after saying the first part. 😏
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Painting & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
Why would you lower your price for the potential of getting referrals? That's like giving all the candy away upfront. You want to award customers down the line after they've been valuable referral engines, then that's great. Most people I know that are that generous never even expect anything back in return other than quality work. People that want you to give them discounts for being potentially good customers - those are the folks that aren't going to be good customers.

Very true, PlainPainter.

My people would never ask for a discount either. I just do it. Two of them don't even ask for a hard copy upfront anymore. They trust I will be reasonable. Funny-I always give them something in writing, but they don't seem concerned with it. I guess if something were really high, they'd bring it up, though!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,488 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere painter View Post

There is no way to predict a good referral generator. You can kid yourself about it all day long but in the end, people will refer you or they won't. I agree with everyone above that believes a person telling you they will give you referrals to get a lower price a) are usually the worst customers and b) never refer anyone (or refer other people that want a low price). They don't value you to begin with so what would make me believe they would suddenly value me enough to give out my name after they selfishly get what they want? Its an oxymoron.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Damon T (01-19-2013), sincere painter (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 2,143 Times in 896 Posts
View ExcelPaintingCo's Photo Album My Photos

I always have a hard time not rolling my eyes when I hear a potential customer say this during a bid. It usually, but not always, means I'm going to lose the job to a low bidder. I will usually reply with a "that's great, and I will definately take that into consideration" with a big, sh!t eating, grin on my face.
ExcelPaintingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
King Dude

Rewards Points: 5,002
Thanked 5,062 Times in 2,881 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Saying that is a potential clients way of telling you that your wasting your time.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 2,143 Times in 896 Posts
View ExcelPaintingCo's Photo Album My Photos

I've seen it suggested on bad TV shows that a ho should say something like "I can get you lots of future business if we can work out a deal" to secure the best deal with a contractor.

I think it's usually a tell that the ho is a price shopper, and thus usually not going to result in a sale.

After my 'sh!t eating grin' response, I take the opportunity to sell the ho on my services, and it sometimes works, usually not.
ExcelPaintingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Two issues,

1)

Betty, "Lucy, I had Sincere Painter paint my house, and he only charged me $5,000. Give him a call"

Lucy calls you, says that Betty recommended you. You bid $6000

Lucy, "why are you charging me so much more than you charged Betty, our houses are identical"

-------

2) Real story:

Many many moons ago I was being referred by one HO . I had a ton of work from her and all her friends.

As I was papering a small powder room for her around Christmas time, I got the silly notion that what a great way show my thanks and appreciation if I did it for free. It was only going to take me six hours and she had been the catalyst for a LOT of work.

So I did. I finished the job, she asked me if she could pay me now, and I said it was a gift in consideration for all the referrals she had given.

Never heard from her or any of those friends again. Never figured that one out and never gave away any more work.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
PressurePros (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,488 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

I'll add that my best referrals have historically come from jobs that were homeruns. (gross $$ and margin) Those are the people that truly appreciate a well done job and are willing to pay for it.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Gough (01-20-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Painting & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
Just like painters say "give me a better price, I'm going to use a ton of this." (Me) Oh yeah? How much do you need? (Painter) "3 gallons"......

^^^^ this happens more than you think, or I care to remember.
Be glad I'm not near your store.

"GIVE me a couple 5ers. I MAY be going to use a ton of this."
Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #18

Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with everything that's been said so please don't blast me here... I have purposely lowered bid amounts knowing it would help me lock up a potential client. I did this in my first year of operation with the owner of a carpet retail business. I purposely lowered his bid by a couple hundred on a 5k exterior.

I still made a great profit, he was very satisfied with everything, and in turn has become my best lead generators. Every time a get a job that originated from his lead I think about how much business that $300 discount created me.

I agree that if this is a situation of "I promise to pass your name along" then don't walk away, RUN! However, if you believe this customer could generate a lifetime of leads based on their stature then go for it, just make sure not to lowball yourself today on the POTENTIAL of referrals tomorrow.
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MIZZOU For This Useful Post:
sincere painter (01-19-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
repaintpro

Rewards Points: 1,272
View Repaintpro's Photo Album My Photos

Arrr I love it. If every person who said I will get you more work came thru I would still be doing just the Referal jobs from my first year in business!!!!!!

When I hear those words now I just shudder. Now days i always politely say lets get the first job out of the way and then worry about referrals!

Steve Lockyer ph: 040 33 111 25

Last edited by Repaintpro; 01-20-2013 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Repaintpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,048
Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,329 Posts
View benthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaintpro
Arrr I love it. If every person who said I will get you more work came thru I would still be doing just the Referal jobs from my first year in business!!!!!!

When I hear those words now I just shudder. Now days i always politely say lets get the first job out of the way and then worry about referrals!

G'day Steve

Yeah when a potential client says that Im like yeah

when the phone rings and they say they got my number from so and so then I will be like thats great but until that happens I'm like yeah thanks appreciate that ?

Text msg below I did some work for a client a small commercial job which isn't my scene the commercial game

But the client is like yeah I need this painted at home and so and so just bought a house and also needs it painted

I'm like no worries just give me a call when you would like me to drop by and have a look at the work to be quoted

Then in the txt if all good we will keep you busy ? lol wow what a promise

I'm only now booking in July 2013 if they don't hurry up it will December again like the date I got the txt

But yeah they will keep me busy lol
Attached Thumbnails
Cherge less for potential referrals?-image-321887186.jpg  

Last edited by benthepainter; 01-21-2013 at 12:02 AM..
benthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None