cleaning rollers - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree27Likes

Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 244
View salmangeri's Photo Album My Photos
Default cleaning rollers

For those of you who use the soak method to clean rollers my question is how long do you let them soak for? Do you find an hour or two is good enough for paint release or do you soak them over night.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salmangeri is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 984
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

I don't clean naps anymore. When I started working my current gig my GC basically said "No. We don't clean naps." - in a way that basically was telling me not to. I will store naps in 12" ziplocs for certain periods of time. (E.g. right now I have one in a top coat for a bathroom. I one-coated Tuesday and am now holding off until trim and new cabinets go in after which I'll have to go back to 2nd coat).

In any case, when I USED TO clean naps, I didn't soak them. My preferred method was to transfer them over to a spinner, blast them for a while with water (letting it spin), and then dunk in a 5 gal bucket of clean water and spin it a bunch. It's often pretty clean by then and one more cycle like that (watching the color of the rinse water) would normally do it.
Joe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 228
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I used to soak them overnight. Then on a job, I tripped over the bucket I had one soaking in. Water poured all over the floor and then proceeded to leak into the bedroom below. What a mess. Now if I am going to use for a second coat I wrap in in Saran wrap, if done with the color I let it dry and toss.
cdpainting and Wildbill7145 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 114
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

I'm old school, so I clean 'em. Yes, it's a waste of water, time, and effort, but, you never know when you might need a "less than stellar" roller cover to do a basement or garage floor.

I don't soak them either. One or two rounds of warm water, a couple spins, and they're "good to go."
chrisn and slinger58 like this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,880
Thanked 9,663 Times in 5,502 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I like to at least clean a sleeve, used for waterborne paints, once or twice before tossing it. I typically toss all sleeves used for solvent borne materials.

I actually like the excercise of cleaning brushes, rollers, and taping tools. It makes me feel like I have my sh!t together rather than racing to the last minute to complete things, then tossing everything to the side for later cleaning and storage.
Joe67 likes this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 244
View salmangeri's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for all your input!!!.....I read where paint is heavier than water (makes sense) so with the soaking method the paint releases from the roller and pools on the bottom of the bucket......I had asked this question about soaking on face book as I developed a tool that fits in a brush spinner that will universally spin, whizz rollers, wooster mini and purdy mini rollers. I am writing a set of instructions on the back of the ad card on how to clean a mini roller and was looking for input.....Also I've found the spinner to be an important step to rid the roller of any paint laden water...something that manually spinning can't achieve....

Last edited by salmangeri; 08-21-2016 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: more words needed
salmangeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I actually like the excercise of cleaning brushes, rollers, and taping tools. It makes me feel like I have my sh!t together rather than racing to the last minute to complete things, then tossing everything to the side for later cleaning and storage.
I'm with you on that. To me it's tool care. These things are some of our most important tools and can only do their thing well when we care for them appropriately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe67 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 168
View hammerhead's Photo Album My Photos

during the job they get wrapped or bagged. after the job they get trashed. cost of rollers is in the bid.
thamberg likes this.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hammerhead For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (08-23-2016), thamberg (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 78
View AngieM's Photo Album My Photos

Does anyone else just kick off the sleeve into the 5 gallon bucket of paint? I always have a sleeve floating around in my bucket of ceiling paint. A month can go by, and when I need it I just fish it out with a paint stick, line it up with my roller frame and slide it back on.

Contrary to what you'd think, it doesn't leak out paint from the core or soften the core on a marathon or white dove.

When doing a big job, that roller sleeve stays dedicated to that color. I kick it off into the bucket of paint every night so I can dunk my frame in water to rinse the build up. I take out the roller grid to drip dry on a paint pan (it's a perfect fit).

I find it keeps my set up clean and free from slimy paint debris. How do you all keep your roller set up from accumulating junk when you're using it for days?
CApainter likes this.

Last edited by AngieM; 08-21-2016 at 06:35 PM..
AngieM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngieM For This Useful Post:
paintball head (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 70
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,278 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

I like using Kovrd bags to keep sleeves in working shape throughout the job.

http://www.kovrd.com/
Joe67 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,608
View paintball head's Photo Album My Photos

I've been doing that for years. I use the same ceiling paint for all jobs so it works well from job to job. They do flatten out though and sadly don't last forever.
paintball head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,608
View paintball head's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieM View Post
Does anyone else just kick off the sleeve into the 5 gallon bucket of paint? I always have a sleeve floating around in my bucket of ceiling paint. A month can go by, and when I need it I just fish it out with a paint stick, line it up with my roller frame and slide it back on.

Contrary to what you'd think, it doesn't leak out paint from the core or soften the core on a marathon or white dove.

When doing a big job, that roller sleeve stays dedicated to that color. I kick it off into the bucket of paint every night so I can dunk my frame in water to rinse the build up. I take out the roller grid to drip dry on a paint pan (it's a perfect fit).

I find it keeps my set up clean and free from slimy paint debris. How do you all keep your roller set up from accumulating junk when you're using it for days?
I've been doing that for years. I use the same ceiling paint for all jobs so it works well from job to job. They do flatten out though and sadly don't last forever.

Working out of a 5er for interior you need to change/clean your bucket and strain paint, the paint dries on the bucket walls and goobers fall in your paint. I prefer to use a big tray and the Kovrd bag and not do the 5 gal bucket routine.
paintball head is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paintball head For This Useful Post:
AngieM (08-21-2016), lilpaintchic (08-23-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #13

Quote:
When I'm in 5's, I absolutely do! I will never leave a brush all that long though.

And I'm going to have to come up with some of those Kovrd bags. I hadn't seen them before. But tomorrow I have a single porch ceiling. I'm in Duration which calls for 4 hours before recoating. It's summer - I've been wondering if I'll be unhappy if I don't clean up between coats. (I also don't know if I'll wait the full 4 hours as I only have a couple of hours of other stuff to do between those coats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe67 For This Useful Post:
AngieM (08-21-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Throughout the week I'll wrap rollers and brushes in painters plastic, tape shut and label. I also use the Kovrd bags if it's an unoccupied home or we have a safe place to store them.

At the end of the job all the rollers get tossed and every Friday I bring all the brushes home to wash.

The biggest issue with washing rollers is dealing with all the waste water and potential of making a mess at a clients house or my house. Some of my clients don't have mud rooms. Beyond that 9" rollers are so cheap that it costs more in labor to wash a roller than the cost of the roller itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thamberg and ridesarize like this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PNW Painter For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (08-23-2016), SemiproJohn (08-22-2016), thamberg (08-23-2016), Wildbill7145 (08-22-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Kick the sleeve off at the end of the day (onto the plastic) and wrap it (just roll it like yiure rolling a wall then cut the plastc, and bang it off on a ladder or bucket is what i do...)in plastic( tight. Then shove the ends into the ends of the cover), rinse the frame, and clean the brushes.. I hate sloppy tools. And gooey brushes.

Last edited by lilpaintchic; 08-23-2016 at 12:17 AM..
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
AngieM (08-23-2016), chrisn (08-23-2016), thamberg (08-23-2016), Wildbill7145 (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #16

View tnw322's Photo Album My Photos

keeps everything wet and ready for the next day. Saves a lot of time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tnw322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 14
View Flaky's Photo Album My Photos

If you're using a 5-gal bucket, you don't have to submerge the roller in the paint, which can cause drips when you start painting again. Just load the roller up with paint, hook the handle on the grid, cut a small hole in a plastic grocery bag, fit the bag over the bucket with the handle sticking up through the hole. The paint doesn't all drain out of the cover and it doesn't dry out for several days. (3/8" nap)

I would rather see paint left in roller covers after scraping go to the dump and get burned for energy than go into the groundwater, so I never clean them. But I use 7" covers in most rooms, so it's less expensive and there's less waste.
Flaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Just buy new ones every time and support your local paint store!

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 26
View gyusher's Photo Album My Photos

Get a spinner then spin out the excessive paint in a 5 ga bucket. Every paint store has them. Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't see any mention of using them. . .

https://www.amazon.com/Purdy-1407552.../dp/B00F29A7Y8

Last edited by gyusher; 08-24-2016 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Adding comment
gyusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 362
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos

I like the spinner too but you have to watch being to close to a house or a car . Another thing I like is using the full force of the garden hose nozzle and spray the roller while its still on the cage. It will spin that sucker 100 mph. That works great and there again make sure its not winding and close to a car and spray the house down before and after.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None