Customer painted cabinets and trims with ProMar 400, wants us to repaint with oil - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View damianjwalker's Photo Album My Photos
Default Customer painted cabinets and trims with ProMar 400, wants us to repaint with oil

Went to look at a job today, the home owner is a concrete contractor and he had a couple of his guys repaint the interior, they used ProMar 400 on the cabinents and trims around the house. Oil was used previously.

The wife hates how the cabinets and trim look and feel with the PM. Wants us to fix it. There are heavy brush strokes and grim in the paint. She wants the woodwork smooth. What do ya'll suggest?

The two options I can think of are, stripping off the latex over the whole house and cabinets and applying oil, or prepping the surface well enough to apply ProClassic Waterborne and hope she likes that.

Thanks for your help...
damianjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

She hates the feel, you need to address the feel. I would choose your strip down entire house option, otherwise nothing else will make her happy.
If the lady of the house is unhappy...

Price is going to obviously be an issue, but there is no other way. Besides don't concrete guys make great money?

Last edited by WisePainter; 05-14-2009 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: I changed a word.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

Proof anyone can paint! And proof fixing anyone's work will cost a heck of a lot more than getting the right guys in the first place.
BrushJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Rock On

View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushJockey
Proof anyone can paint! And proof fixing anyone's work will cost a heck of a lot more than getting the right guys in the first place.
Ayup...I hear that

The two options are acceptable, neither will be cheap

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
View ParagonVA's Photo Album My Photos

it's gonna be hard to get rid of all that heavy brush texture that latex can leave behind, especially if the previous guys applied a second coat before the 1st dried sufficiently. So they went with a latex over oil? I hope they primed first .

Anyway- if you don't want to get into stripping it, you can always test a spot before you get into anything too major to see if they're down with it. Maybe a thorough sanding and a couple of coats of a satin-based oil? ProClassic Satin Oil might turn out alright due to its low sheen and leveling characteristics. Stripping is a mess, and so time consuming; but if that's what they want, you'll do alright. Consider charging T&M for that one I'd say .
Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Strip it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #7

Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

The main problem is adhesion of their coat. Is there any? If they just splashed on a piss poor paint, I suspect there was no primer or sanding first.
So your problem is getting adhesion , which will probably be like all are saying, strip.
Then with a good prime you could use any of a number of good acrylics for a great finish if you didn't want to go with oil.
Personally I think those are getting to the point that there is no reason to use oil anymore, particularly in repaints. But ALWAYS about proper prep.
BrushJockey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None