Defy Epoxy Fortified Wood Stain anyone used it? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 08-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View PinnacleResidential's Photo Album My Photos
Default Defy Epoxy Fortified Wood Stain anyone used it?

As stated in an earlier post, I love using Sikkens. However, I have now seen 2 decks in which the contractor used Defy Epoxy Fortified Wood Stain. It looks very nice and I was just wondering if anyone has tried it?
PinnacleResidential is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #2

View Mantis's Photo Album My Photos

I've used it a couple times, never on decks though. Last project we used it on was an entrance overhang to a doctor's office. All roughsawn cedar beams which were sprayed and back brushed 3 coats of the redwood. I have never used sikkens so I cannot compare to that, but it's very thin and tends to look blotchy when wet. It dried nicely after a heavy 3 coats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #3

I'm going to be in that area this weekend, I'll try to snap some pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #4

View PinnacleResidential's Photo Album My Photos

thanks
PinnacleResidential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
I'm going to be in that area this weekend, I'll try to snap some pics
I post a couple in the picture forum here: https://www.painttalk.com/showthread....8514#post38514
If you want more, just ask

Old 09-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25
View oakley's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't used Defy, but I am hesitant about an "epoxy-fortified" wood coating. Don't epoxies chalk and fade with exterior exposure? It seems like a marketing ploy. I have used Sikkens with great results.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #7

View johnisimpson's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't used it either but I agree that "epoxy fortified" scares me. I only like to use deck stains that I can get back off the wood. I've been called out to too many deck stripping jobs where a hard to remove stain was used and we get the job of removing it. Never makes the homeowner happy to find out that it could have been much less expensive to remove if it was a simple oil based stain.
johnisimpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None