Deposit Cheque Bounced - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree32Likes

Old 09-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156
View SweetLu's Photo Album My Photos
Default Deposit Cheque Bounced

So this guy I was planning to work for in a few weeks’ 1/3rd deposit cheque bounced. I incurred a 7$ fee because of it, and when I contacted him, he said it was cause it’s a really old cheque.

Whether I believe him or not doesn’t matter to me, I can’t mess around with payments I don’t trust. So I told him that the only way I’ll keep his job in the books is if he pays me IN FULL before we start. So basically I’m putting the “trust” onus on him because his trust is shot. Trust me to do the work, cause I don’t trust you to pay in full now.

I explained this in much nicer terms of course.

Do you think I made the right call? Should I just have accept another form of 1/3rd deposit?

He seems pretty ticked at me now.
Delta Painting and Gymschu like this.
SweetLu is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 5,740
Thanked 15,416 Times in 8,088 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

IMO, you absolutely made the correct call. He has no right to be “ticked” at you because you are trying to cover your butt. If he won’t comply to your request, or does but still continues to be upset, take that as your cue to bail.

Of course it’s easy for me to recommend doing that. You have to weigh your choices depending on how much you may or may not need the job.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

I write very few checks, when I do write them I have to cross out the 19__, they have my old address and the old name of the bank but they still are cashed when I hand them out to people. (Usually to the kids school because they won't take etransfer) I find it hard to believe it was because it was a old check, unless you waited 6 months to cash it.

You can bring the next check to his bank and have it certified before you try to cash it. This way you know it won't bounce and you can keep trying until the money is there.
Gracobucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,134
Thanked 4,509 Times in 2,486 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I don't buy the it's an old cheque line whatsoever.

The guy being ticked about your response would definitely be a red flag for me. How big a job is this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 320
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post
I write very few checks, when I do write them I have to cross out the 19__, they have my old address and the old name of the bank but they still are cashed when I hand them out to people. (Usually to the kids school because they won't take etransfer) I find it hard to believe it was because it was a old check, unless you waited 6 months to cash it.

You can bring the next check to his bank and have it certified before you try to cash it. This way you know it won't bounce and you can keep trying until the money is there.
He would need to pay to certify it AND he would still need to be able to collect at the end. I'd bail. Sounds like a lot more trouble down the road a very short way!
canopainting likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Itís funny how people forget the risk we incur whenever we start a new project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Delta Painting likes this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,368
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

I think you spelled Czech wrong!
Old 09-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Painter View Post
Itís funny how people forget the risk we incur whenever we start a new project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I'm a OMS and certainly not a big operation. The other day I dropped over $1000 on paint for an upcoming job. Bigger job for me to be sure. Thankfully the customer is a lawyer who I've worked for several times.
finishesbykevyn likes this.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 156
View SweetLu's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Turns out the guy called me and his story adds up, he gave me a cheque from an old account that was closed and he immediately etransfered me the deposit to prove he had the money. We both got a little heated in the moment, but then realized we were both just trying to save our hide and keep the job on the books.

I’ll let you guys know if this ends up burning me in the end haha.
SweetLu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SweetLu For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (09-26-2019), jennifertemple (09-25-2019), RH (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:39 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,348
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLu View Post
So this guy I was planning to work for in a few weeksí 1/3rd deposit cheque bounced. I incurred a 7$ fee because of it, and when I contacted him, he said it was cause itís a really old cheque.

Whether I believe him or not doesnít matter to me, I canít mess around with payments I donít trust. So I told him that the only way Iíll keep his job in the books is if he pays me IN FULL before we start. So basically Iím putting the ďtrustĒ onus on him because his trust is shot. Trust me to do the work, cause I donít trust you to pay in full now.

I explained this in much nicer terms of course.

Do you think I made the right call? Should I just have accept another form of 1/3rd deposit?

He seems pretty ticked at me now.
You're lucky because the returned check fee in the US is at $35.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 298
View Alchemy Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Although Iíve had zero uncollectables over the course of 34 years as a business owner without ever having to rely on the court system or other means to collect, I did have a builder once write me a bad check, the client dodging me on the issue for several weeks. I ended up stopping by the local state police barracks, the officer advising me to deposit the check again, and that if returned with insufficient funds 3xís, I could file charges and an arrest warrant would then be issued. He also informed me that I could file a civil suit, the payee being entitled to 7xís the face value, which has since been reduced to 2xís under the current state penal code. I redeposited the check 2 more times, the check being returned both times with insufficient funds. I ended up calling the client from the local police station giving him 1 hr to come up with the cash or certified funds otherwise charges would be filed and an arrest warrant issued. Itís a class B misdemeanor in NY under article 190 of the penal code for writing a check with insufficient funds after giving the payer 10 days notice of the bounced check w/ the payer not providing restitution during the 10 day period.

Glad it worked out for the OP.
finishesbykevyn and Fman like this.
Alchemy Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alchemy Redux For This Useful Post:
CApainter (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,348
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Redux View Post
Although Iíve had zero uncollectables over the course of 34 years as a business owner without ever having to rely on the court system or other means to collect, I did have a builder once write me a bad check, the client dodging me on the issue for several weeks. I ended up stopping by the local state police barracks, the officer advising me to deposit the check again, and that if returned with insufficient funds 3xís, I could file charges and an arrest warrant would then be issued. He also informed me that I could file a civil suit, the payee being entitled to 7xís the face value, which has since been reduced to 2xís under the current state penal code. I redeposited the check 2 more times, the check being returned both times with insufficient funds. I ended up calling the client from the local police station giving him 1 hr to come up with the cash or certified funds otherwise charges would be filed and an arrest warrant issued. Itís a class B misdemeanor in NY under article 190 of the penal code for writing a check with insufficient funds after giving the payer 10 days notice of the bounced check w/ the payer not providing restitution during the 10 day period.

Glad it worked out for the OP.
So did the builder cough up the green or did he end up in the calaboose?
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,560
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Had a customer write me a bad check for $5k out of the 10 he owed me then took 6 months to rectify. Boy did that hurt.

My options were to take him to court where we are entitled to 2x damages, go over to his house and break some knees or wait it out...
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 488
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

One time , by mistake, my bank deposited a large check that was supposed to go in my business account into my personal account. And of course I had payroll and several large invoices paid thinking that money was in the account. What a mess!

I did receive several bad checks over the course of operating my business. All but one were rectified. I would have never done business again with the one if they would have survived the bankruptcy. Hey, were going bankrupt, let's get some painting done!!! smh
Lightningboy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,562
Thanked 9,579 Times in 5,439 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I thought everything was done by credit cards or purchase orders in the service industry. Checks are so 80's
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I thought everything was done by credit cards or purchase orders in the service industry. Checks are so 80's

I don't deal with credit cards for payment. Cheque or EMT. Trend I've noticed is customers over 40 pay by cheque, under that and they're asking to send me EMT.

I'm trying to convince myself that doing my banking over my cel phone is ok, but I just can't get over the 'is it secure?' hump. I'm sure it's fine, since everyone else is doing it. You could deposit your cheque when you get back in your van! I just can't do it. Old dog, no new tricks problems.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Try cash ...nobody understands that concept these days!
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,562
Thanked 9,579 Times in 5,439 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
It's all counterfeit. Checks are suspect. Credit cards show instant validity.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 32
View Vinyl 54X's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
Even cash is scary these days. too much raises flags, and you may need one of those counterfeit pens.
canopainting likes this.
Vinyl 54X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #20

Silver and gold...the only true currency! Everything else is backed by the "full faith" of the government or banks. Good luck with that!!!

Tags
None