Difference in Quality between BM's Ben and more expensive paints - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 196
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Difference in Quality between BM's Ben and more expensive paints

Hi,
I have used several of BM's higher quality paints, and have been somewhat disappointed with them in terms of value. They were all good paints, but seemed a bit pricey. Now, that I am running a business and have to be concerned with price, I was wondering how good BM's low-end paint (the Ben paint) is compared to other brands, and to their own higher end such as Regal and Aura.

Thanks.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Covers better, easier to apply, more durable, more sheen options, lower voc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

I think Aura's main selling point is cleanability, and non scuffing even in dark colors. I don't think any other paint really touches this. It does have unique application that actually favors a one guy operation I also think.

If you are just trying to get a workable paint to color the wall, Ben is perfectly fine. I like pretty much all the Gennex paints in their place ( maybe except for Natura)
The Following User Says Thank You to BrushJockey For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
King Dude

Rewards Points: 5,000
Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,873 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

It's really hard to beat aura for darker colors. The washability is the best I've seen so far. Used it in my kitchen which was red (not my choice) I scrubbed it like crazy without seeing any red on the rag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Pete,

Just a question about alternatives, have you tried any of the California paints?

They are a Mass company and it's good to keep our dollars here When I was still painting, they were a better value than BM and back then their waterbornes were better quality.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Csheils (11-22-2012), Pete Martin the Painter (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Thats a good point, Bill. California has been one of my go to paints for a long time. I find their stuff can go head to head with any company.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdpaint For This Useful Post:
daArch (11-21-2012), Pete Martin the Painter (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 196
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Bill, thanks for the suggestion. I have used California in the past, and found it be a very good paint. And, I was able to find a local dealer.

Peter

Last edited by Pete Martin the Painter; 11-21-2012 at 10:36 PM..
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 282
View Seattlepainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
It's really hard to beat aura for darker colors. The washability is the best I've seen so far. Used it in my kitchen which was red (not my choice) I scrubbed it like crazy without seeing any red on the rag.
Spot on analysis with darks.

Seattlepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattlepainting For This Useful Post:
Rbriggs82 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
King Dude

Rewards Points: 5,000
Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,873 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

When the wife chose red for the kitchen I figured it'd be a good opportunity to see if the washability lived up to the hype. I was happy to see the product I've been selling for the last couple years perform the way I told my customers it would.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None