Difficult gable ceiiling - varnish to white - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View paintninja's Photo Album My Photos
Default Difficult gable ceiiling - varnish to white

Job i did recently was a high gable ceiling, exposed beams / varnished ceiling sprayed the whole thing out.

Actually had the undercoat custom made at a local paint shop here on the gold coast. Hes a small business (get stippled / ultratex) and you can tell him what you want in the paint, if its not covering he'll give you some titanium to mix in the paint etc. Quite interesting experience actually having the stuff made especially for my job.

The problems i had on this one were tannin bleed, and adhesion to the varnish. I used acrylic for this one, sprayed almost the entire job. Worked out well.

If i'd had done this by hand would have been there for possibly months ! How would you guys have done this job?

paintninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 02:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Why the extension wand?

From the looks of it you used a solid stain, if that's true why not use an alkyd primer for three tannins?
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

This is a job where we did a white wash stain (acrylic) over reclaimed tressel fir with 2 coats of white acrylic minwax on top. Most of the boards yellowed, most of the yellowing died down, but some didn't.

Difficult gable ceiiling - varnish to white-uploadfromtaptalk1404625782557.jpg
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 02:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post
Why the extension wand?

From the looks of it you used a solid stain, if that's true why not use an alkyd primer for three tannins?

the extension wand was just so i could reach that bit further if necessary where there was no scaffold. There were also several smaller ceilings on the low level much like the height of the one you show there, bit higher, that i could reach with the wand.

Once its on theres no point taking it off just a pain, i'll leave it on till the end of the job unless what im doing changes significantly.

As far as the primer / undercoat. I have constant issues with acrylic products sticking to varnish without sanding, theres very few products here seem to work properly unless your talking oil based, which im not interested in putting through the airless on a job that size.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #5

do you guys use a clean-shot on the extension wands, or something similar. I have seen alot of guys not using them, which can cause a few issues on the finished job.

Fine on the short wand.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 286
View Slopmeyer's Photo Album My Photos

Ben-Moores Styx would bond to that. From my limited experience with it you may see some tannins, but once top coated with acrylic they are gone forever.

Tags
None