Do You Advertise Pressure Washing? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By The Classic Painter
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith
  • 1 Post By Gwarel
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By 804 Paint
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith
  • 1 Post By SemiproJohn

Old 06-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152
View SweetLu's Photo Album My Photos
Default Do You Advertise Pressure Washing?

Hi all,
Weve been doing a number of exteriors lately, and Im realizing that I really enjoy pressure washing. I was wondering if any of you advertise pressure washing as a separate aspect of your business or do you only pressure wash to prep for a paint job?

Side note, my price for pressure washing is normally about 10% of Painting it. Does that sound way off? (So if the job costs 2K to paint I would charge around 200 bucks to pressure wash).

Look forward to your responses
SweetLu is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,784
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLu View Post
Hi all,
We’ve been doing a number of exteriors lately, and I’m realizing that I really enjoy pressure washing. I was wondering if any of you advertise pressure washing as a separate aspect of your business or do you only pressure wash to prep for a paint job?

Side note, my price for pressure washing is normally about 10% of Painting it. Does that sound way off? (So if the job costs 2K to paint I would charge around 200 bucks to pressure wash).

Look forward to your responses
No, I don't promote pressure washing as a stand-alone service. I'm not set up to do it professionally. I'd probably want one of those soft wash setups with a trailer/tank.

I usually just rinse off the houses with a pressure washer. I rarely, if ever, use soap via down-streaming. I've done it before using the black tip and you can still see the dirt residue on the siding after a soap + rinse.

When there is very dirty aluminum siding or vinyl I apply the soap and then scrub, and then rinse off with a pressure washer.

I usually charge $50-60/hr plus gasoline for pressure washing. Most houses I charge a minimum of 4 hours. The actual time it takes is less than 4 hours. 10% of the job seems high to me. Most exteriors are 3K plus.
SweetLu likes this.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 06-28-2018 at 03:06 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Smith For This Useful Post:
SweetLu (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

I don't advertise it either because I really don't want jobs of doing pressure washing as a stand alone job. Not that I wouldn't want the work, but, I don't have a very big rig and my pw is just powerful enough to clean the worst of the dirt off of an exterior. It's not a good enough cleaner to do a proper stand alone pressure washing job.

Remarkably, I recall the days when cleaning before painting was not the norm. You just wiped down the siding with a rag to remove dirt, etc. The oil-based paint just mixed in with the dirt and no one really cared too much.
SweetLu likes this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
SweetLu (06-28-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 60
View The Classic Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Funny you should ask this question.

I do not promote PW, and my exterior painting has become
a very small part of the work I have decided to concentrate on
which is interiors. The PW gets very limited use anymore.

BUTTT....
for some reason, I have been getting A LOT of calls this season asking about
pressure washing. So many in fact that I started asking why they
are calling me since I do not advertise the service. Unanimously , all
have stated something to the effect, "I thought painters also did powerwashing ?"

I wouldnt even know where to start in pricing a cleaning.
On the occasional exterior paint job, I figure it into the overall price, and to be very
honest, it isnt much more than a good rinse.

Been spending some time over at Pressure Washing Institute researching.

Something I may consider doing after I retire from my FT job.
But for now, I am enjoying just painting interiors.

Sorry SweetLu, none of what I said helped you in any way.
SweetLu likes this.
The Classic Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Classic Painter For This Useful Post:
SweetLu (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Classic Painter View Post
Funny you should ask this question.

I do not promote PW, and my exterior painting has become
a very small part of the work I have decided to concentrate on
which is interiors. The PW gets very limited use anymore.

BUTTT....
for some reason, I have been getting A LOT of calls this season asking about
pressure washing. So many in fact that I started asking why they
are calling me since I do not advertise the service. Unanimously , all
have stated something to the effect, "I thought painters also did powerwashing ?"

I wouldnt even know where to start in pricing a cleaning.
On the occasional exterior paint job, I figure it into the overall price, and to be very
honest, it isnt much more than a good rinse.

Been spending some time over at Pressure Washing Institute researching.

Something I may consider doing after I retire from my FT job.
But for now, I am enjoying just painting interiors.

Sorry SweetLu, none of what I said helped you in any way.
I used to read those pressure washing threads in here a few years ago. The soft wash process seemed to be lucrative the way they talked about it.

Personally, I don't want to work with bleach water 8 hours a day. They must get bleach blown back in their faces several times a day 5 days a week. Pass
SweetLu likes this.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 710
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

I'm thinking about it. I've done a couple of pressure wash only jobs this year and came out good on them. I googled sf prices and used that info as a guideline. Easy money really......
SweetLu likes this.
Gwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,138
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I dont advertise it, but I often notice my clients drive way has tons of mildew and green crap all over it, so I throw out driveway cleans as an upsell once in a while.

My insurance company isnt okay with me pressure washing as a service unless its a pre-paint wash for some reason. How about you guys? They specifically asked me about pressure washing, so I told them I do it prepaint.
SweetLu likes this.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 800
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Never. You enjoy it? I hate it. Especially with all these guys that advertise $150 or less to PW your house. I'd ask $200 + materials minimum to make it worthwhile to me and would need two of those in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SweetLu likes this.
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
I dont advertise it, but I often notice my clients drive way has tons of mildew and green crap all over it, so I throw out driveway cleans as an upsell once in a while.

My insurance company isnt okay with me pressure washing as a service unless its a pre-paint wash for some reason. How about you guys? They specifically asked me about pressure washing, so I told them I do it prepaint.
Agree...Using all those bleaching agents would worry me. This is one reason why I won't do full strips on decks using BM 'REMOVE'. It's a pain to contain that stuff and any overspill will bleach things almost immediately. {I have the T-shirt to prove it} And that's only a foot off the ground. Imagine spraying hypochlorite or bleach water 30' up or on a roof.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,138
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I dont use bleach for that reason.. I use vinegar out of a pump sprayer for mildew, but for pre-paint I usually just waterblast the dirt.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 152
View SweetLu's Photo Album My Photos

I never have and never will use bleach or some other chemical with my pressure washing. A few customers have asked if I do, and I tell them it’s not necessary, the pressure will take off what needs to be removed.
Side note, one of my good friends fathers owns a very lucrative pressure washing business (another reason I’ve been thinking of getting in on the action), and all he uses is hot water. There are washers that heat it as it shoots out, and he says it cleans and removes everything better than any chemical. And he does greasy semi trucks on the regular.
SweetLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLu View Post
I never have and never will use bleach or some other chemical with my pressure washing. A few customers have asked if I do, and I tell them it’s not necessary, the pressure will take off what needs to be removed.
Side note, one of my good friends fathers owns a very lucrative pressure washing business (another reason I’ve been thinking of getting in on the action), and all he uses is hot water. There are washers that heat it as it shoots out, and he says it cleans and removes everything better than any chemical. And he does greasy semi trucks on the regular.
Not many of the guys in the pressure washing forum use hot water. Most use a low-pressure soft wash system + sodium hypochlorite.

When I wash my van with hot water and don't use soap I get a dirt residue that looks ugly. I can't imagine using just hot water on vinyl or aluminum siding works that well. That said, I could certainly be wrong on that count. I'm guessing you'd need an investment of $10K+ for a pro setup including a trailer.
SweetLu likes this.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 06-29-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Old 06-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 6
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

I don't push pressure washing, but it's because I don't have the rig needed to crank out the pressure washing at a rate I think necessary to make a real nice profit. Adequate GPM's, downstream/buffer tank, etc.

There is definitely money to be made with the right equipment, but I'm only set up for pre-paints and some driveway cleanings at the moment. With the right equipment, I can see it being more profitable and easier than painting.
SweetLu likes this.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 710
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

I did some decks for a customer a few years back and her vinyl siding was bad with mildew so we pressure washed the whole house using Jomax, mixed to specs. i was in the neighborhood recently and the siding still looks good, so I guess it works pretty well.
Gwarel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None