Do you turn work down? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
wje

Rewards Points: 1,048
Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,228 Posts
View wje's Photo Album My Photos
Default Do you turn work down?

I have a hard time saying no. I have gotten myself into a few pickles by taking on one too many the odd time and have had to end up offering bonuses to some subs for extra long days/weeks. It is sooooo hard to tell somebody with a small window of time to complete, that you cannot do their job. We always hit our deadlines but I still haven't been able to say no to a client. I will sometimes price high, knowing it will be a crunch, but that allows for bonuses and OTfor the guys... How often do you guys say "NO" ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wje is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

Being a one guy operation, saying no and remaining a credible resource is much better than saying yes to more than I can handle, and letting stuff slip.
But the last couple of years it hasn't been a big problem...
Old 11-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Under promise and over deleiver. Ill say say no in a heart beat if someone tries to put me up against a deadline I dont feel comfortable with, dont run into much in the residental side of buisness.
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Had to do it more than once when a) someone needs the job done within a few days timeframe and we are all booked up or b) when someone needs a very small job done (eg one room) and we are all booked up a few months out.

In these cases, we never just say no. We always refer the customer to a local solo operator...he appreciates it a lot.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Case in point, as I mentioned in this post I was almost ready to say no.

But there a part of me (call it pride, call it confidence, call it whatever) that wants to make it happen. I do like pulling the difficult jobs off. Not only does it get my adrenaline flowing, but I know it is good for my reputation.

Suzie is asked by Madge if she knows a good paperhanger, Suzie says, "As a matter of fact, Bill Archibald was most attentive to our needs"

More than a few time, someone has called me about a situation that has their back against the wall. I tell them give me an hour or two and I'll see if I can pull it together. I then call some fellow NGPP members and more than likely call Ms Frantic back with good news.

We are service. It pays to say, yes I can.

BUT make sure you can, before saying yes.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
nEighter (11-21-2009)
Old 11-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

It's easy to say no when you don't need the work. It's like if a ugly girl ask you to the prom, it's easy to say you have to do your hair that night, but say you have a date with another ugly girl, and the best looking girl in highschool ask you out, it's really (hard) to say no to her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnpaint For This Useful Post:
BrushJockey (11-20-2009)
Old 11-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #7

Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

I say no all the time. I use to take on all work - now if I know there is a high probability of failure of me to complete the job satisfactorily I will turn it down. Thank god for the new lead laws coming out - because I hate scraping homes, nobody pays you enough, and you never know how much labor it will turn out to be. And can you believe folks want you to warrantee the work?!?!
I get better things to do than endless scraping and trying to warrantee a paint finish over a patchwork of 17 previous coats of paint - no thank you.

Now I'll just ask folks if their home was built after 1977 - if not, ixnay.

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 88
Thanked 8,623 Times in 4,020 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

I think learning to say "no" is one of the hardest things to adapt to...and one of the smartest. Keeping in mind any scheduling/manpower issues, you also have to consider the homeowners expectations as well as yours.

Holiday seasons, now through the end of the year, is always the toughest time, because the HO obviously wants it completed and looking good for the obvious reasons. I keep a couple things in mind; time frame and available manpower to do the job. Luckily, my guys will do the extra hours to get most of these done. And, at times, I have no problem in conveying to the customer there will be an added surcharge for the extra hours a/o weekends. Other times, I will just give the job to the employees, and let them keep the labor portion of the job.

Now is a good time to contact your past customers for touch-ups on jobs you have already completed. In my case this has resulted in new painting to be done in the house many times.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #9

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I think knowing when to say no is good and another thing to master is how to say no to your clients without making them feel rejected. Once I decide to say no to someone the next thing in my mind is, I want to keep them interested in me the next time they have something. So let them down easy, and don't run down the job they offered you.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

For us it hardley ever happens, if it was happening all the time I would look into expanding.
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25
View joselucas's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I want to parlay that people will pay good money for a positive experience.
Quote:
Under promise and over deleiver. Ill say say no in a heart beat if someone tries to put me up against a deadline I dont feel comfortable with,
I totally agree with them, everyone needs to know how much you can handle, and sometimes having a very few but good strong customer is very good.
joselucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

We have turned very few down, either scope of work was not a good fit or scheduling, just turned down a 10,000 job they want done next week!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

yes..................................

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
We have turned very few down, either scope of work was not a good fit or scheduling, just turned down a 10,000 job they want done next week!
Yup, there are always those red flags. Easy to say no to an obvious debacle

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 11-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
PinheadsUnite

When you all are asked to do a job that is obviously a bad fit, do any of you offer a name of another who would be a better fit?

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 11-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
When you all are asked to do a job that is obviously a bad fit, do any of you offer a name of another who would be a better fit?
Yes! I do, i like to keep it local if possible
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Old 11-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
If I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Long story, would have a been a good one, that size job is fairly average for us.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 502
View Msargent's Photo Album My Photos

Well if rob wasnt hunting. Overtime!!
Msargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Quote:
Long story, would have a been a good one, that size job is fairly average for us.
You no whats best for you. That just sucks. was it a repeat client?

Tags
None