dogs on jobsite - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default dogs on jobsite

I wanted to ask you pros how you deal with your dog onsite.
My dog isn't typically aggressive, he is rather "high strung" so I don't leave him at home or he will tear up sofa arms, seat cushions etc.

I feel very very fortunate to be self employed,,this gig has been way better than the factories or convenience stores. and the luxury of bringing my dog to work is a real bonus.

There have been very few incidences where he acted out at a customers home or yard. most were the the fault of the home owners or condo associations board of directors in my opinion.

ive asked people nicely to crate their pets while we are there to avoid any conflict

he seldom barks but can get a little testy around young children or cats. small dogs don't phase him at all and he seems to take a liking to them,

children under 3' or cats and other large breed dogs are probably his "trigger"

ive taken to include him in my advertising,,,a calling card so to speak, hes an important part of my life.

but after this last incident involving cops, the dog warden/animal control while im just trying to paint,,all zenned out and make a living, im considering including some language in the contract to prevent further problems.

how do you pros handle this? thoughts?
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

First of all, I want to make it clear that I'm a "dog person".

That being said, I think it's a bush move for contractors to bring their dogs to job sites.

Sorry.
Delta Painting (01-01-2016), jennifertemple (01-03-2016), lilpaintchic (01-01-2016), loaded brush (01-11-2016), SemiproJohn (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
house painter

View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

I get this,,,really. some people don't think its appropriate to bring dogs to the jobsite.
but that's not the gist of this post. I need validation from others that do,,and how to overcome the anti dog on jobsite people.
some of my customers appreciate it actually, ive considered donating a portion of my profts to animal aid or the dog shelter...possible attaching a flyer to their bulletin board to attract like minded folks.
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 24
Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,806 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Well, the only contractor I know that brings his dog to the jobsite would also bring beer along as well. Not sure if that helps, but that is all I got for you on this topic.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by high fibre View Post
I get this,,,really. some people don't think its appropriate to bring dogs to the jobsite.
but that's not the gist of this post. I need validation from others that do,,and how to overcome the anti dog on jobsite people.
some of my customers appreciate it actually, ive considered donating a portion of my profts to animal aid or the dog shelter...possible attaching a flyer to their bulletin board to attract like minded folks.
Maybe I'm still missing "the gist", but it sounds as if you're asking how to get your clients, and others, to accommodate the needs of your personal pet.

To blame the clients or members of the HOA's board of directors when he "acted out" seems a bit much. They don't own the problem, you do.
Delta Painting (01-01-2016), jennifertemple (01-03-2016), SemiproJohn (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
Paintist

View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

If the dog gets ahold of your leg, it's best to just let him finish.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 5,588
Thanked 15,399 Times in 8,076 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Corgis are a known killer breed so bringing Stevie along solves the problem of any troublesome pets or kids that the HO might own by viscously keeping children, cats, and other dogs out of my way. HO's that don't heed my warning are just asking for trouble IMO.

One thing I do that might also help you is to bring a few spare pet crates and one of those collapsable pens. The crates are for any cats or small dogs the HO might have and the pen is good for larger dogs and children.

There is the frequent problem of her pooping in the house so I bring a small shovel for cleaning up after her. I scoop it and take it outside and fling it over the nearest fence into a neighbor's yard. Leaving it inside, or even in the HO's yard, would not be a classy move. Plus I wouldn't want to accidentally step in it and track it onto my ladder. Pee isn't an issue since it doesn't usually show.

I generally find that having my dog along is a big plus with my customers.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 01-01-2016 at 12:18 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
chrisn (01-02-2016), Delta Painting (01-01-2016), Gough (01-01-2016), lilpaintchic (01-01-2016), PRC (01-01-2016), RCP (01-01-2016), slinger58 (01-01-2016), stelzerpaintinginc. (01-01-2016), The Cutting Edge (01-01-2016), whodog94 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 114
View The Cutting Edge's Photo Album My Photos

I'm a dog lover as well but no way am I taking my dog Tomas customers house while I'm painting. Just no. Dogs poop don't they? I have a cow if a smoker is working on the jobsite and I find a cig laying in the yard but a pile of dog crap. No way. Maybe if you're working for a ho that has a few dogs and they crap in the yard they won't notice. Is be willing to bet you could and probably have put a fantastic high quality paint job on a house but because your dog left a few piles a crap in the yard that ho is not going to be referring you to his buddy down the road. Besides that its a liability issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cutting Edge For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (01-03-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 310
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,015 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

Snakes make better work pets
keeps the children & homeowners away
So you can do your job like you're getting paid to
without them bothering you
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-01-2016), radio11 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
Snakes make better work pets
keeps the children & homeowners away
So you can do your job like you're getting paid to
without them bothering you
Living where you do, have you ever tried a gator? I'd think they would be very effective and easier to keep on a leash than a snake.

Groucho Marx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (01-01-2016), Repaint Florida (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,338
Thanked 1,556 Times in 778 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

I have been bitten twice by dogs. Non provoked, while walking out of the job.

An electrician friend of mine had his ear lobe bitten off by a dog on another job site.

I realize a dogs behavior is largely related to its owners ability to train. However, I find most humans to be too impatient to own a dog. As a result, I find myself disliking dogs in general.

And while I'm thinking of it, I would like to say how ridiculous I think it is that humans follow dogs around with a bag of poop in their hands. The only thing worse is allowing a dog to poop in a neighbors yard. So, I'm not sure how to solve this canundrum. I suppose if I owned a dog, I would prefer it pooped in my own yard, then cleaning up after it. After all, picking it up from my own yard seems much more inconspicuous than carrying a half pound bowel movement from my german shepherd five minutes in to my thirty minute morning walk.

I can't help but picture some higher alien life form spying on us from space. I'm sure they are looking at each other in disbelief. One saying to the other "is that guy carrying his dogs poop around?"

Feel free to move this to random thoughts thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
epretot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,392
View Boco's Photo Album My Photos

I bring my dog on most new construction jobs during hanging and taping process. That way there is no other trades working inside. I also tend to work 10 -12 hour days. Therefore GCs don't really mind as they realize I would have to go home just to let dog out. When sanding and priming is started I leave dog at home.
Anyhow my dog is very well behaved and has never needed a leash. Basically grew up on jobsites and has for the most part stayed out of trouble. If there are other pets trades, or kids its probably best to leave snoop at home.
Outside stuff is hit or miss if its hot or the place doesn't have a fenced in yard I keep my dog at home.
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #13
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot View Post

An electrician friend of mine had his ear lobe bitten off by a dog on another job site.

I realize a dogs behavior is largely related to its owners ability to train. However, I find most humans to be too impatient to own a dog. As a result, I find myself disliking dogs in general.

And while I'm thinking of it, I would like to say how ridiculous I think it is that humans follow dogs around with a bag of poop in their hands. The only thing worse is allowing a dog to poop in a neighbors yard. So, I'm not sure how to solve this canundrum. I suppose if I owned a dog, I would prefer it pooped in my own yard, then cleaning up after it. After all, picking it up from my own yard seems much more inconspicuous than carrying a half pound bowel movement from my german shepherd five minutes in to my thirty minute morning walk.

I can't help but picture some higher alien life form spying on us from space. I'm sure they are looking at each other in disbelief. One saying to the other "is that guy carrying his dogs poop around?"

I agree that any aliens observing a typical dog owner's interaction with their dog would conclude that the dog is the actual master and the human its servant. There is no way I would bag up my dog's poop while on a walk. Deer, bears, birds, and fish poop where they please with no thought towards bagging their "business" so why should it be any different with a dog? Someone doesnt like finding dog poop in their yard? Then do what I do - just scoop it and fling it onto a neighbor's property. Problem solved.

Just wanted to add that many might think my attitude might make Stevie and I somewhat unpopular in our neighborhood. Quite the contrary, very frequently, after she has dropped a load, the HO will come out and call after us to come back and chat a bit. Unfortunately, I can't do so most of the time so I just smile, wave, wish them a nice day, and keep moving.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 01-01-2016 at 01:07 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
radio11 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Do I hear the Exxon Valedze rumbling up my street. And this time with a pita pooch?
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
Gough (01-01-2016), radio11 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #15
PRC

Rewards Points: 46
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot View Post

Last year one of my crew saw a lady being preemptive on picking her dogs poop by catching it in the bag wrapped around her hand. wtf!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
Retired Moderator

I must be at Brain Rest this morning. Hats off to high fiber for what may be his best troll yet! Well-crafted and just close enough to reality to get a lot of us sleep-addled painters to bite.

Well played, sir.

epretot (01-01-2016), Gymschu (01-01-2016), lilpaintchic (01-01-2016), PRC (01-01-2016), stelzerpaintinginc. (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,392
View Boco's Photo Album My Photos

Well on a job a few weeks ago a carpenter took a deuce in toilet before it was hooked up. At least my dog waits till she gets home. LOL
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boco For This Useful Post:
epretot (01-01-2016), whodog94 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #18
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
I must be at Brain Rest this morning. Hats off to high fiber for what may be his best troll yet! Well-crafted and just close enough to reality to get a lot of us sleep-addled painters to bite.

Well played, sir.

Troll???

Groucho Marx
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #19
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Well on a job a few weeks ago a carpenter took a deuce in toilet before it was hooked up. At least my dog waits till she gets home. LOL
Did he bag it afterwards?

Groucho Marx
Old 01-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

It's all in the name I believe. Quite clever. But I know what happens to me when my diet includes high fiber...and too much of it.... fos.lol
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (01-01-2016)

Tags
None