Down time doing my own job right now - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
alanbarrington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 421
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 41
Thanked 73 Times in 58 Posts
View alanbarrington's Photo Album My Photos
Default Down time doing my own job right now

This company I don't understand we have three estimators say we are getting jobs but yet there is to much down time.scratching my head.time to regroup.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk
alanbarrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,174
Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanks: 5,206
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbarrington View Post
This company I don't understand we have three estimators say we are getting jobs but yet there is to much down time.scratching my head.time to regroup.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk
To many employees, sounds like their the bang it out company. They like to load the jobs up with empoyees, knock it out and grab the cash. We got a few of those businesses here. Can't stand it when I see it. The results are instability, 3 day work weeks. Sucks! And I know san deigo is still sucking. btw, the inland empire is one of the fastest growing areas in California right now.

I know a business in sd, they moved from Indio and may need local guys. I will pm you the info

....
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
6126 (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Born 2 Paint
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,021
Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanks: 6,089
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Your a good guy Gabe
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
alanbarrington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 421
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 41
Thanked 73 Times in 58 Posts
View alanbarrington's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net

To many employees, sounds like their the bang it out company. They like to load the jobs up with empoyees, knock it out and grab the cash. We got a few of those businesses here. Can't stand it when I see it. The results are instability, 3 day work weeks. Sucks! And I know san deigo is still sucking. btw, the inland empire is one of the fastest growing areas in California right now.

I know a business in sd, they moved from Indio and may need local guys. I will pm you the info

....
Thanks bro

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk
alanbarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,745
Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanks: 1,140
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos
Default

If my boss tells me there is no work for tomorrow I solicited other companies for work tomoro. If someone puts me on tomoro, well, that's where I work now. Everybody that deals with me knows that is my M.O. So therefore if they have work on the books they tend to find a spot for me and let the less aggressive/more loyal guys sit. I very may well not be available 2 days from now when they need men. The guys they know will wait on them they know will be available regardless.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
alanbarrington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 421
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 41
Thanked 73 Times in 58 Posts
View alanbarrington's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden
If my boss tells me there is no work for tomorrow I solicited other companies for work tomoro. If someone puts me on tomoro, well, that's where I work now. Everybody that deals with me knows that is my M.O. So therefore if they have work on the books they tend to find a spot for me and let the less aggressive/more loyal guys sit. I very may well not be available 2 days from now when they need men. The guys they know will wait on them they know will be available regardless.
Thanks man I just like to be fair I don't like burning bridges if I am not happy I tell them, for me I have always found out the to be strait up an honest gets me a lot farther than bs.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk
alanbarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,745
Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanks: 1,140
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbarrington

Thanks man I just like to be fair I don't like burning bridges if I am not happy I tell them, for me I have always found out the to be strait up an honest gets me a lot farther than bs.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk
Making a move to make the best income you can make is not burning a bridge. Any legit business man should agree and if for some reason they don't then , how's it go? " We don't need no water let the m ef fer burn"

The people I deal with, if they have the work and if I am looking they will plug me in. I make money. Businessman are about making money. These guys that start up shops and get into personal trips and what nots generally fail anyway. The best most successful contractors, money is their God. They never get personal. That's the people I learned from so I became the same way. I'm not as greedy. Money is not my god. But I am getting my cut, my share of the market, or I will get it someplace else.

it's just business. supply and demand and all that. Never personal.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
Bender (06-26-2013), CApainter (06-26-2013), Paradigmzz (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 490
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 98
Thanked 320 Times in 188 Posts
View MKap's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbarrington
This company I don't understand we have three estimators say we are getting jobs but yet there is to much down time.scratching my head.time to regroup.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk
Maybe that move to some kind of management role when you aren't painting wouldn't be a bad idea...fills the time between jobs...
checking up on other jobs, doing more shop work or something in between? I dont know what your company is all about. Do you they power wash. If so do you do it or does another crew? I try to schedule power washing jobs in between the painting work so if it rains or they finish up early my main guys still got a full 40 hr week..
MKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nampa, ID
Posts: 5,354
Rewards Points: 8
Thanks: 5,843
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos
Default

"Have brush will travel"
__________________
How fortunate we are!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long time lurker first time poster victmor New Member Introductions 9 12-01-2011 09:16 AM
Long time reader, first time poster MKap New Member Introductions 5 05-30-2011 03:04 PM
First time poster, long time reader. bucket New Member Introductions 11 11-13-2010 12:13 PM
long time voyer, first time posting admirableptg New Member Introductions 13 04-10-2009 03:19 AM
Time with airless, how much idle time is ok? will General Painting Discussion 7 08-23-2008 12:19 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com