Dreaming of a shop/spray booth - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gracobucks
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts

Old 08-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
View curiouspainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Dreaming of a shop/spray booth

Hi, first post here. So I'm in my second year of owning my small company after having been painting for about 5 years. My garage is quite modest and my ladders, tools, etc. etc. are quickly outstripping my space.

I'm starting to dream about renting out a shop and would love to have part of it as a spray booth. I'm open to getting my own or going in with another painter or two in doing so. But I have little clue as to how much this might cost, or how to find and/or create a shop with a spray booth.

What have you done, either when you were starting out, a bit further down the road and/or what solutions have you found? Is there a good and ideally affordable way to create a spray booth? To ventilate? I'm in Minnesota, so it gets really cold here in the winters too.
curiouspainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,402
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Do you get enough work to justify it, and do you think you can raise your prices to accomodate the cost without losing all your business? If your shop is $2000 a month, you need to do that that much work just to break even.... Let alone materials cost. You'll need to bump your prices WAY up. I suggest raising your prices first, then see if your work takes a hit.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
curiouspainter (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:00 AM   #3

Yes, absolutely. And I actually plan on raising my prices. I'm fairly green, but learning/improving all the time and am ready to ramp things up. I've been getting jobs a very high percentage of the time, and calls keep coming in, which also tells me that I may not be charging enough. Granted, it is certainly busy season where I'm at I know.

I'm not in a rush to do this, but gathering information. And also, as I mentioned the possibility of sharing a shop would greatly reduce the price, though there are certainly may be drawbacks as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 681
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

I rent an 800 sq.ft garage. Costs me $700 /month. Perfect for my small business of 3 people. I dedicate 1/3 of it to a spray booth. I do need better ventilation though. Only have a small bathroom fan at the moment. Only using latex products mostly though..
I wouldn't want to share my space with anyone though. Too much on the go at any given time..could get complicated.
I've also thought about maybe buying warehouse space and renting it out and keeping a portion for myself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouspainter View Post
Yes, absolutely. And I actually plan on raising my prices. I'm fairly green, but learning/improving all the time and am ready to ramp things up. I've been getting jobs a very high percentage of the time, and calls keep coming in, which also tells me that I may not be charging enough. Granted, it is certainly busy season where I'm at I know.

I'm not in a rush to do this, but gathering information. And also, as I mentioned the possibility of sharing a shop would greatly reduce the price, though there are certainly may be drawbacks as well.
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Legal spray booths are very expensive. I would say north of $30k. You will need to install a make up air unit as you will be pumping the heated air straight outside. You need to make sure you have lots of spray work to get a roi. Raising your prices on painting work not in your spray booth is not considered roi for the spray booth.

A shop is very nice to have. However it also raises your overhead. My shop costs roughly $2500 per month after all the bills. It will cost more then just the rent. You will need insurance, utilities including internet, property taxes, garbage and snow removal, building maintenance, etc. The costs never seem to stop. You really need to make sure your financial secure enough to pay those bills even when there is no work.

Partnering up with someone would be a huge mistake imo. You run the risk of chasing people for rent, tools going missing and/or fighting over floor space.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,402
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

You might be better off using your garage for a spray booth and renting a close by storage shed for your ladders and stuff. Then, see you often you actually use your spray booth. I do cabinets twice a year. Not worth it for me, thats for sure.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 108
View Vinyl 54X's Photo Album My Photos

If you get cleared to spray lacquers which is sketchy. I would figure that doors and cabinets would be the bread & butter. No pick up or delivery put that on the client. Just spray and wrap up for pick up. Need lots of space for prep, dry & storage in an industrial area zoned for that. Might be a goldmine or magic beans. Good luck.
Vinyl 54X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,112
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

There are housing complexes here that have large 30x60 garages attached to the house that are advertised towards professionals that need a shop space. Less overhead because the utilities and rent are just a minimal addition to the rent.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #9
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
You might be better off using your garage for a spray booth and renting a close by storage shed for your ladders and stuff. Then, see you often you actually use your spray booth. I do cabinets twice a year. Not worth it for me, thats for sure.
This is what I do. I have a small sheet metal built spray booth that vents out a window. WB coatings only. Works well and we don’t do a regular spray business but it’s helpful when cabinet jobs come along.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
mug

Rewards Points: 10
View mug's Photo Album My Photos

I desperately had to do something last year. I was painting cabinets in a screened room tent, then putting them in my shed to dry. Rent for anything in my town was ridiculous. I decided to look in the next small town over (about 30 minutes) I found a 24x48 shop/garage on 1.75 acres for a fraction of what rent would be. Still haven't set up a good booth yet just plastic and a fan for now.

My other option would have been another shed in the backyard.
mug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:54 AM   #11

Default Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for all the perspectives and feedback everybody! This has really helped me get a feel for what to look for, expect and what is possible. Oddly enough, I recently had a chance encounter with a neighbor of a house I was painting at that wanted to connect me with someone who has a spray booth who is looking for a collaborator, without knowing that was on my mind as well. Putting my intention out in there may be paying dividends already

Tags
advice, shop, spray booth, suggestions