Drywall patching? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View city slicker's Photo Album My Photos
Default Drywall patching?

I was filling in some corner bead today on a previously painted 3 year house.

Using USG all purpose mud from Menards.

What causes bubbles in drywall mud? This is not my first job this has happened on. I have to sand once dry, sand and fill in the bubbles and hope more bubbles don't appear.
city slicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,257
Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanks: 1,564
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by city slicker View Post
I was filling in some corner bead today on a previously painted 3 year house.

Using USG all purpose mud from Menards.

What causes bubbles in drywall mud? This is not my first job this has happened on. I have to sand once dry, sand and fill in the bubbles and hope more bubbles don't appear.
too much water in the mix or you've dried them too quickly (i.e. with a blow dryer). Could just be crappy mud.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
.
 
Workaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 17,818
Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanks: 6,245
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos
Default

If you are asking about the little bubbles that sometime show up on a joint after pulling a blade then it is usually air or water. Those type will sand out and the next coat will take care of it. Could be your mud.

If you are talking about a real bubble where it seems to just start blowing up and pushing off the surface then it is usually something on the wall causing an adhesion issue often film or oil of some sort.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View city slicker's Photo Album My Photos
Default

The mud is five months old and seemed really loose. I know it did not freeze because I store in inside.
city slicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View city slicker's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Yes, the tiny bubbles that appear as you draw the knife across it. Mud did appear watery.

Should the five gallon bucket be mixed-up again?
city slicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Renegade Mod
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,208
Rewards Points: 136
Thanks: 7,425
Thanked 8,640 Times in 4,032 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Dont use old mud. Get some 20 min hot mud, mix it, apply it, tool it and you shouldnt have any bubbles. Oh yeah, use the easy sand stuff.
__________________
Sweeping the streets of PT, one day at a time.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 377
Rewards Points: 252
Thanks: 12
Thanked 60 Times in 30 Posts
View tedrin's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by city slicker View Post
Yes, the tiny bubbles that appear as you draw the knife across it. Mud did appear watery.

Should the five gallon bucket be mixed-up again?
Could be porous drywall that was never sealed before .....Just don't press the knife down very hard and the bubbles will be reduced...Just go over the mud and smooth it out very lightly a few minutes after you apply it and you can reduce the bubbles even more..Expect to do a few coats of mudding and they will sand out..
tedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ROOMINADAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,716
Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanks: 632
Thanked 952 Times in 628 Posts
View ROOMINADAY's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Unless I re-prime a wall, there are always air bubbles in premixed compound and some brands of fast set on a painted wall. The fast set 20 is an excellent suggestion as it hardens before the water has a chance to create havoc in your finish! You can also mix a little dish-soap in your mud to help break the surface tension and lessen the bubbles. When I am boxing mud, I put about 4 ounces in a pail and it leaves a smooth coat. I find a quick sand and tight skim in both directions will usually eliminate the bubbles with premix.
ROOMINADAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 633
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 85
Thanked 143 Times in 110 Posts
View Builtmany's Photo Album My Photos
Default

The bubbles happen to me mostly when I add water to my mud. I prefer to make it a little thinner then it is out of the bucket especially if the mud has sat around in heat for a while it's too thick for my taste. I imagine the bubbles are just air bubbles from my mixing. They are usually 99% gone after sanding and the final coat. If there are a few remaining we just use one time lightweight putty and prime over it without sanding a few minutes later.
Builtmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Capt-sheetrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NewBern NC
Posts: 971
Rewards Points: 500
Thanks: 389
Thanked 363 Times in 242 Posts
View Capt-sheetrock's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builtmany View Post
The bubbles happen to me mostly when I add water to my mud. I prefer to make it a little thinner then it is out of the bucket especially if the mud has sat around in heat for a while it's too thick for my taste. I imagine the bubbles are just air bubbles from my mixing. They are usually 99% gone after sanding and the final coat. If there are a few remaining we just use one time lightweight putty and prime over it without sanding a few minutes later.
Guys, I know this is an old thread,,, but,,,, bubbles in mud????

There are two kinds,

1) caused by drilling the mud too much, ingesting air into the mix, like the kinds you see on cornerbeads in NEW construction

2) the kind described in this thread, once a wall is painted, its SEALED, if joint compound is "run" over this sealed process, the wall can no longer absorb the water from the mud. This is what causes the bubbles, its an "effervesance" effect. There is no way to prevent this, you CAN prime ahead of appying the mud, or you can just put a coat of mud on, then sand and re-apply mud. Eithr way will handle the problem.


The point is, there is no way (that I know of) to apply one coat of mud over an "old" wall system, and not have this problem.

When I re-do a wall in an older house, I skim the wall, then sand it, then skim again, cause after 30 yrs of trying, I KNOW these bubbles are coming, and I can't stop em.
__________________
"When the government becomes destructive of freedom,,it's the right of the people to alter or abolish it",,,,,,,,Thomas Jefferson,,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Who is John Galt ??
Capt-sheetrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
wje
Senior Member
 
wje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,588
Rewards Points: 1,048
Thanks: 2,699
Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,228 Posts
View wje's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt-sheetrock View Post
Guys, I know this is an old thread,,, but,,,, bubbles in mud????

There are two kinds,

1) caused by drilling the mud too much, ingesting air into the mix, like the kinds you see on cornerbeads in NEW construction

2) the kind described in this thread, once a wall is painted, its SEALED, if joint compound is "run" over this sealed process, the wall can no longer absorb the water from the mud. This is what causes the bubbles, its an "effervesance" effect. There is no way to prevent this, you CAN prime ahead of appying the mud, or you can just put a coat of mud on, then sand and re-apply mud. Eithr way will handle the problem.


The point is, there is no way (that I know of) to apply one coat of mud over an "old" wall system, and not have this problem.

When I re-do a wall in an older house, I skim the wall, then sand it, then skim again, cause after 30 yrs of trying, I KNOW these bubbles are coming, and I can't stop em.
You are absolutely right. When we do 2 foot drywall installation for insurance resto. companies, the mud only bubbles on the existing walls painted surface, and sets up normally on the new drywall. You will just want to lightly sand to pop the bubbles once before your final coat of mud so you can be sure to have them all filled for a perfect finish..
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wje is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wje For This Useful Post:
Capt-sheetrock (02-13-2010)
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Patching drywall..... salestrainer Surface Preparation and Application 30 08-03-2012 09:44 AM
Patching Al B General Painting Discussion 1 10-27-2009 03:02 PM
Patching a popcorn ceiling A-List Paint Pro General Painting Discussion 37 08-31-2009 09:10 PM
What do you use for patching cracked ext. wood? ewingpainting.net Surface Preparation and Application 21 11-25-2008 10:13 AM
Patching Wood Houses welovepainting Surface Preparation and Application 5 07-23-2007 06:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com