Dur-a-flex flooring system - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Dur-a-flex flooring system

Has any one heard of this product? I called them because a client wanted us to use it in their garage, No one answers the phone so I emailed them asking how to get it, they replied and said only their certified contractors can get their product. I asked how to become certified and they replied we do not certify any more painting contractors, have your client contact us or we will provide you with a Dur-a-flex flooring certified contractor. I said no thank you, I am sorry I am not going to give my job to some one else especially if I don't get any thing out of it except loosing a job. We have had a few people ask us about using this product and explain what their deal is and talk them out of using it, We have used BM and SW garage floor coatings and told them those are better since any one can go get them and we have used them and know how well they work and stand up. We do not know how good the Dur-a-flex flooring is or how well it will hold up.
What would you guys do in this situation?
I hate companies like this, it seems like they think they are better than every one elses products.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,160
Thanked 1,038 Times in 465 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

I am very familiar with Dura-flex. The products and technology are excellent. Many unique floor coatings. I know the rep well. I have two certified installers that use their products 80% of the time. Some of Dura Flex business practices and business model are unusual. Many of my guys avoid Dura Flex because jobs do get given to certified installers. All they do is high performance floors and they are excellent at it. However several of my contractors express the same sentiments you expressed. Check out the web site. Some of their training videos are excellent.
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #3

My clients don't want a training video lol, I do agree the videos are great, but if I can't install it because of their rules I will push a product we all can get. I would like to use the product it sounds like it is a great product but this kills me, how can a company grow and compete with BM or SW if they do things like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

their products look phenomenal. Sw, BM, Rustoleum, SimStain, or HC dont have a thing on this floor coating product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

http://dur-a-flex.com/Home/ViewNews/35

check this product out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigmzz View Post
their products look phenomenal. Sw, BM, Rustoleum, SimStain, or HC dont have a thing on this floor coating product.
Honestly I don't care how good they say their product is, if I haven't ever used it I will not recommend it let alone give them our clients name so they can take our job from us. I have not had any issues with BM or SW coatings yet and hope not to. If Dura-Flex would let any licensed painting contractor use their product I would definitely give it a shot, I refuse to take food off my diner plate to make their certified contractors money. I do not and will not ever work this way, Some on here will probably not like me saying that but I learned my lesson, I got screwed by a painting company I referred and the HO was mad at me because I referred them. If I can not stand behind my word or guarantee it's simply not worth my time.. If it came down to not being able/capable of doing the flooring sysytems I would recommend only contractor I know.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,410
Thanked 1,045 Times in 677 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

I know this may sound harsh, but that company probably feels the same way about themselves as you about your company. They would not want just any paint contractor (who are generally not experts in floor installs)!! putting down their product. Steps are skipped, prep is not adequate, coatings not put down to spec, wrong applicators used, etc. This stuff happens all the time in floor installs and it is not worth the time or risk for the rep and company to deal with. That is why they have certified installers. It is basically a sort of franchise for the installer, they have a small territory they will be responsible for. Don't take it personally, its just business.
MikeCalifornia is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
I know this may sound harsh, but that company probably feels the same way about themselves as you about your company. They would not want just any paint contractor (who are generally not experts in floor installs)!! putting down their product. Steps are skipped, prep is not adequate, coatings not put down to spec, wrong applicators used, etc. This stuff happens all the time in floor installs and it is not worth the time or risk for the rep and company to deal with. That is why they have certified installers. It is basically a sort of franchise for the installer, they have a small territory they will be responsible for. Don't take it personally, its just business.
I do realize this, their certified contractor lives 35 mins away and with the calls we get you would figure they would certify some one in my working area, We had the BM rep with us going over every step with us to make sure we did it right on our first one. like I said if I haven't used the product how can I recommend it to any one not knowing if it is really that good. i was constantly emailing them I was hoping if I was enough of a paint in their arse they would atleast check us out. I will stick with the products I know. I might sound pig headed and I can be. This is about our company making money and surviving.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25
View workin'man's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I completely agree...most painters dont even read the lable on can of paint.
The finish product of the best jobs, wich end up on the website make it alluring. These people dont paint houses im sure!
It is a specialty trade. Concrete matrix, csp 1-9, hydrostatic pressure, catalyzation process. If you dont think about these terms and a hunred or more variables, You will learn what it takes to remove a $5k dollar floor and replace it with your bank account, or your credit card. If you don't know how to fix it.... the resinous system gets the bad publicity.
Even SW has a cert. program. There best product will not be sold to any joe off the street. I completly respect this. All it takes is one mad painter/customer to give a product a bad reputation.
workin'man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

I have a client that is exclusively high performance floors. He is a certified Dura Flex installer. He uses a lot of our systems however we just don't have the depth of systems to accommodate some of the technical environments that industrial floors may require. We have coatings for residential and commercial applications like poly amides and 100% Solids, however we had a job this week that required a remediation epoxy for heavy hydrostatic pressure. This required a system that was 4 coats. $15 a square foot for 1,000 sq ft. Required core samples, drilled moisture tests and a very narrow application window and Prep Standard. Dura Flex had the system and will do the core samples. Contractor has the training and experience as well as the equipment to do the job. I walked away from the job with my systems and recommended him to the client. Most standard epoxies generically are the same for most manufacturers. Dura Flex goes beyond the generics and specialty coatings for unique environments. If your project includes just a residential or light commercial application I don't see the benefit of using their system as you can get an equal product from SW BM Devoe etc. they differentiate themselves from other manufacturers in order to compete. Tnemec has a similar model especially with Water Treatment and Engineers.
The Following User Says Thank You to NACE For This Useful Post:
MikeCalifornia (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACE View Post
I have a client that is exclusively high performance floors. He is a certified Dura Flex installer. He uses a lot of our systems however we just don't have the depth of systems to accommodate some of the technical environments that industrial floors may require. We have coatings for residential and commercial applications like poly amides and 100% Solids, however we had a job this week that required a remediation epoxy for heavy hydrostatic pressure. This required a system that was 4 coats. $15 a square foot for 1,000 sq ft. Required core samples, drilled moisture tests and a very narrow application window and Prep Standard. Dura Flex had the system and will do the core samples. Contractor has the training and experience as well as the equipment to do the job. I walked away from the job with my systems and recommended him to the client. Most standard epoxies generically are the same for most manufacturers. Dura Flex goes beyond the generics and specialty coatings for unique environments. If your project includes just a residential or light commercial application I don't see the benefit of using their system as you can get an equal product from SW BM Devoe etc. they differentiate themselves from other manufacturers in order to compete. Tnemec has a similar model especially with Water Treatment and Engineers.
For residential garages I am very comfortable with the BM,SW systems, if this was a commercial job I would probably walk away since I have not done any yet. I wouldn't refer any one or product, like I said unless I have used it or know them. The internet is great for HO to do research but them not knowing about the certification they look at the product only.
Some of the people here I would recommend since I see picture of their work and do talk to a few so that would be fine with me, same as if a friend who lives in another state I would refer some of you to them no problem.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,410
Thanked 1,045 Times in 677 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Does your customer know the cost of this Dura system? They may be over-thinking the necessity of it. Then it is your job to guide them into something more along their price point and that you can handle the spec. Sounds like that is the avenue you are working towards. The most important thing to consider is the hydrostatic pressure from the slab. If there is too much, then your bm rep can recommend a barrier coat first. All the coats add up, sometimes it is not as simple as the $80 garage floor kit from the HD. GL
MikeCalifornia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #13

Client is a wealthy architect. He wanted epoxy on his floor and he lives on the ocean. Had some issues from effects of Sandy. I was a rep for bm for 25 years. NACE Certified and done over 200 epoxy systems personally. I know when to recommend a system and when to punt. I punted on this project because BM doesn't have a remediation epoxy but I know that the Dura Flex Polycrete with a ICRI profile of 4-5 will be sufficient.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Does your customer know the cost of this Dura system? They may be over-thinking the necessity of it. Then it is your job to guide them into something more along their price point and that you can handle the spec. Sounds like that is the avenue you are working towards. The most important thing to consider is the hydrostatic pressure from the slab. If there is too much, then your bm rep can recommend a barrier coat first. All the coats add up, sometimes it is not as simple as the $80 garage floor kit from the HD. GL
Some of our clients have more money than brains lol, They some times tell me what they found on the internet is the best because they read it online. I would like to keep my options wide open on these products as we are right along the ocean and rivers that do come knocking at your doors every so often.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos

You need to learn how to sub effectively.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

I agree Paul, there probably are plenty of very well qualified installers in his area.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
Paint and Hammer (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
I agree Paul, there probably are plenty of very well qualified installers in his area.
Dura flex has one to cover a large area.

Tags
None