Duration Home Matte on New Construction - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lightningboy65
  • 2 Post By CK_68847

Old 07-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View jkent's Photo Album My Photos
Default Duration Home Matte on New Construction

One of our builders is asking me to price an upgrade to Duration Home Matte for the interior of a 6,600 square foot house. It's new construction so I'm a bit worried about touch up. I love Duration Home but don't want to have to paint the house twice (or more) because the sheen is too high.

Any experience/advice appreciated!
jkent is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 7,360
Thanked 15,585 Times in 8,225 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Not sure of the question/concern. Are you worried that the matte is going to be too much sheen or that touch ups on it will be different? Matte is just above flat and has a nice low luster look, IMO. I have had no issues with it and touch ups but our textures out here usually hide those kinds of potential issues.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4
View jkent's Photo Album My Photos
Default Thanks and yes, worried about too much sheen

With this builder, I'll need to come back after all other trades have finished. Scuffs on the walls, drywall patches, etc. will have to be addressed. I'm just worried that with Duration Home Matte, I may have to do every wall, corner-to-corner, because the sheen is higher than most builder grade flats.
jkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,482
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

If you anticipate a fair amount of touch ups, you may want to consider waiting until all trades are done to do the final coat on the walls. Do the entire to complete with the exception of the last wall coat. When all trades are done do the last coat. A couple of guys can usually make quick work of a final coat on just walls(of course you can't spray it then). I know it seems a little crazy, but is a practice I have used when I knew the final product was going to be treated roughly . I'm convince it took about the same amount of time as a lot of touch up and provided a better finished product.

I wouldn't worry about the sheen. It's fairly close to flat.
loaded brush likes this.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lightningboy65 For This Useful Post:
celicaxx (07-03-2019), Gwarel (07-03-2019), jkent (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 818
View Gwarel's Photo Album My Photos

I don't do a lot of NC, but I do have a couple of guys that build and every time I let them talk me into finishing too soon I regret it. The thing about NC is you have to get your production rates good to make a buck. By that I mean that when you have your trim taped off for walls it makes sense to 2 coat the walls. Bites me every time!
Gwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:36 AM   #6
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,499
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

People are using builders flat on the walls? I figured eggshell was the norm.
Final coat on walls is usually the last thing to do in my experience.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 170
View CK_68847's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
If you anticipate a fair amount of touch ups, you may want to consider waiting until all trades are done to do the final coat on the walls. Do the entire to complete with the exception of the last wall coat. When all trades are done do the last coat. A couple of guys can usually make quick work of a final coat on just walls(of course you can't spray it then). I know it seems a little crazy, but is a practice I have used when I knew the final product was going to be treated roughly . I'm convince it took about the same amount of time as a lot of touch up and provided a better finished product.

I wouldn't worry about the sheen. It's fairly close to flat.
It’s a practice always used on high end housing and commercial. There is no reason to 2 coat early because it will all be screwed up at the end. On a lot of commercial jobs, we even wait until the floor is down and follow the floor guy. The floor guy then bases after the final coat. It might be worth 2 coating closets, behind the kitchen cabinets, and maybe bathrooms, but I would never do anymore than that.
CK_68847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_68847 View Post
Itís a practice always used on high end housing and commercial. There is no reason to 2 coat early because it will all be screwed up at the end. On a lot of commercial jobs, we even wait until the floor is down and follow the floor guy. The floor guy then bases after the final coat. It might be worth 2 coating closets, behind the kitchen cabinets, and maybe bathrooms, but I would never do anymore than that.
My thoughts (and methods) exactly! And yes, when I say wait until all trades are done, I mean all trades. Especially flooring guys. For this approach to be worthwhile the painter has to be the last guy out the door.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 78
View AngieM's Photo Album My Photos

The problem with touch ups flashing is because painters try to one coat the walls when it always needs 2 coats over drywall primer. When you go "touching up" over one coat you get flashing of where there is 2 coats (the touch up) over the 1. When you double coat it, it does not flash. Especially with Duration Matte, which I use all the time.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
AngieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieM View Post
The problem with touch ups flashing is because painters try to one coat the walls when it always needs 2 coats over drywall primer. When you go "touching up" over one coat you get flashing of where there is 2 coats (the touch up) over the 1. When you double coat it, it does not flash. Especially with Duration Matte, which I use all the time.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Even if you two coat over primer you will still get some flashing unless it’s a light color and dead flat. I agree you can touch up most of the house and be fine, but you will have to break out a roller on window walls and atleast fan a fair portion of the wall out top to bottom. You aren’t going to take a brush or mini roller and get away with it.
AngieM and Lightningboy65 like this.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
Quote:
It’s a practice always used on high end housing and commercial. There is no reason to 2 coat early because it will all be screwed up at the end. On a lot of commercial jobs, we even wait until the floor is down and follow the floor guy. The floor guy then bases after the final coat. It might be worth 2 coating closets, behind the kitchen cabinets, and maybe bathrooms, but I would never do anymore than that.
My thoughts (and methods) exactly! And yes, when I say wait until all trades are done, I mean all trades. Especially flooring guys. For this approach to be worthwhile the painter has to be the last guy out the door.
Yep, sometimes we will paint before they carpet tile because flooring guys don’t usually screw you there. If it’s anything else from regular carpet to sheet vinyl it’s not worth touching until they are done. It also helps if you work with the same floor guys because there are those out there that don’t give a **** about your walls.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Yep, sometimes we will paint before they carpet tile because flooring guys donít usually screw you there. If itís anything else from regular carpet to sheet vinyl itís not worth touching until they are done. It also helps if you work with the same floor guys because there are those out there that donít give a **** about your walls.
One time we did a house where the guy that nailed down the the carpet tac bar hit the MDF cap moulding on the base every foot or so. I kid you not, every foot or so there was a chunk out of the cap moulding! The areas that got hardwood did not have the base installed yet, so they decided to put their hardwood nailer right against the wall when nailing-little dings about 18" up on the wall all over the place. Not to mention oil splatters from the nailer. Thank heavens that's the only job I ever work on where they were present!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,734
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Its a gamble...

Sherwin has a bad track record for touchups, and Matte is often finicky as well.

I like to come in, and prime, and spray out the lids, and maybe closets, as soon as the walls are ready. If Im slow, I'll go ahead and put the first coat on the walls, but if you have other work, go there. Wait for trim, paint that, then two coat the walls. Around here anyway, Tile and flooring is usually done before paint. The floor is ramboarded by the contractor, so as long as you get the painting done before they pull the ramboard, you dont need to worry about covering much. I try to wait until most of the trades are done at least. Generally, when the trim is done, most stuff in the house is already done, so its reasonably safe to paint walls after the trim.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,140
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkent View Post
One of our builders is asking me to price an upgrade to Duration Home Matte for the interior of a 6,600 square foot house. It's new construction so I'm a bit worried about touch up. I love Duration Home but don't want to have to paint the house twice (or more) because the sheen is too high.

Any experience/advice appreciated!
Each paint has a PDS (Product Data Sheet). There is always a Gloss and Sheen Measurement listing (listed under "Finish") and represented from 0-100 in "Gloss Units".

Gloss is measured at a 60 degree angle (Shiny paints have a gloss measurement)
Sheen is measured at 85 degrees (low-lustre finishes have a sheen measurement).

If you look up the Finish for a product you are familiar with you can compare it to Duration Home Matte, which is 2 - 7 units @ 85į

Let the customer know that the gloss will die down in about 20-30 days as the paint cures.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/doc.../035777440216/
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None