Electric sanders and dust extraction - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 1 Post By Rbriggs82

Old 09-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 342
View STAR's Photo Album My Photos
Default Electric sanders and dust extraction

What are your favourite sanders and dust extractors? Do you use them daily? Looking into Festool and Mirka and am considering a 6 round orbital and a smaller delta for detailed work.
Which sanders size/shape would you suggest are the most versatile for a painting contractor?
STAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,052
Thanked 1,004 Times in 637 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Festool Midi with DTS sander, use it for 75% of our sanding work. I have a DTS and ETS, would like to sell as I rarely ever pull them out. Also the Rotex 5" is our go to for exterior fascia.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 224
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

I have a Festool Rotex RO 90 DX Multi-Mode Sander. I like that it is a multi mode dual head with the detail mouse pad as well as the round rotex. It also has 3 modes of operating. For regular flat finish work I just use a cheap old Black & Decker. Oddly, it's lasting. I have abused that flat B&D for 2 years & still it keeps going. I expected it to die in 3 months for the price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 03:53 AM   #4
King Dude

Rewards Points: 5,000
Thanked 5,053 Times in 2,874 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

It depends on what part of the country you're in and what type of work you do a lot of. I'm in smooth wall country and the Festool ETS 125 is the cats meow for sanding drywall patches. Trim work and cabinets the dts really shines, and a RO 90 for exterior work is hard to beat. I own a CT26 for dust extraction but I think a midi is better suited for furnished interior work,if mine ever dies that's what I'll switch to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 239
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Sadly enough, I still just use my 5" Dewalt with shopvac hooked up to it..
Fman likes this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 447
View mattpaints82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
It depends on what part of the country you're in and what type of work you do a lot of. I'm in smooth wall country and the Festool ETS 125 is the cats meow for sanding drywall patches. Trim work and cabinets the dts really shines, and a RO 90 for exterior work is hard to beat. I own a CT26 for dust extraction but I think a midi is better suited for furnished interior work,if mine ever dies that's what I'll switch to.

I have a midi and a 36ac. Once you get used to the bigger size wheels and how easily it can roll over drops, and extension cords, its hard to go back to the midi and its smaller wheels.

I'm gonna get the ct handle for my 36ac sometime soon, roll my stack around like a dolly.

Also want to get the sys roll dolly.

As far as sanders go, we have the pro 5, rotex 90, and the planex. love them all.
mattpaints82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 64
View Mace's Photo Album My Photos

I love my Mirka 3X5 orbital sander.
I use it weekly on trim, doors and drywall patches. I went with the 3X5 at the suggestion of the Mirka dealer. He told me most painters he sells to get the 3X5.
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 20
Thanked 5,148 Times in 2,803 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

All I know is one of my guys has been hard on the vacs this past year.
Attached Thumbnails
Electric sanders and dust extraction-t607wl-ss0ysobls0alypg.jpg  

DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Oh wow! I broke my hose garage earlier this year, surprisingly it was really cheap to order a new one.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 10-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 688
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Dewalt Cordless Orbital
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 200
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
You can get a replacement top for that fairly inexpensively. I have had to replace the tops of both of mine. Soon after I bought the big extractor I forgot to close my truck tailgate and it slid out the back.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
RH

Rewards Points: 5,576
Thanked 15,399 Times in 8,076 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I own and use (a lot) the Festool midi. Love it. IMO, it has taken one of the most odious tasks there is in painting and turned it into something that is almost, almost, enjoyable.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 342
View STAR's Photo Album My Photos

Have a couple of Mirka sanders (6" orbital and 3"x5") and they're awesome.
Waiting for the new Leros wall sander to come out. If the reviews are bad I will pick up a Festool Planex.
STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,832
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
Oh wow! I broke my hose garage earlier this year, surprisingly it was really cheap to order a new one.

My CT26 fell out of the van and the front bumper with the Festool name broke off. The top part is called the hose garage? You can replace the whole thing? How much?
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #15
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
My CT26 fell out of the van and the front bumper with the Festool name broke off. The top part is called the hose garage? You can replace the whole thing? How much?
Yup it's called a hose garage, I broke the one on my CT26 and it was right around $50 to replace.

Mr Smith likes this.

|
|
|

|
|

Tags
None