Enduro Pigmented Poly over STIX? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
View aaronmiiller's Photo Album My Photos
Default Enduro Pigmented Poly over STIX?

Im refinishing a set of kitchen cabinets and would like to use my HVLP instead of dragging out the airless to spray some SW SOLO as my topcoat. I was thinking of sanding everything, applying 2 coats of stix primer, sand, 2 coats of General Finishes Enduro Pigmented Poly. Has anyone tried this or anything like it with much success?
aaronmiiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #2

Anybody?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Full On Member

Rewards Points: 75
View Those Painter Guy's's Photo Album My Photos

Interesting...

I too have an entire set of kitchen cabs coming up....

Would be interested to see what others have to say about pigmented poly....

Hadn't thought of that.... Hell, I never even heard of it.

Anyone?
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
View Durrell's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I just used Stix with PPG Breakthrough on a small kitchen. I couldnt be happier with how everything turned out. Im not sure if what you are planning to use is a 2 part system(looks like it isnt). You can use Stix with 2 component systems, Urethane, Epoxy, and Lacquer finishes, so I dont see why it wouldnt work. Just my 2 though
Durrell's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #5

Thanks alot man, I'm actually somewhat reconsidering using the enduro poly as i have heard it's not that durable in a kitchen. I'm thinking about going with the MLC Agualente pigmented lacquer. The only questioni have now is will i be able to brush it on the cabinets? I plan on spraying the doors so there's no problem there, but will the pigmented lacquer dry too fast to brush?
Old 07-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

I cant say we've used that specific product(seems like they have a few), but I don't see why you couldn't brush it on. Worst case you cant back brush. Just tape everything really good so you don't waste valuable time trying to cut it in. Obviously sand in between all the coats to avoid brush marks
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrell's Painting View Post
I just used Stix with PPG Breakthrough on a small kitchen. I couldnt be happier with how everything turned out. Im not sure if what you are planning to use is a 2 part system(looks like it isnt). You can use Stix with 2 component systems, Urethane, Epoxy, and Lacquer finishes, so I dont see why it wouldnt work. Just my 2 though

Just found out we have a local PPG dealer 5 minutes from my house, called them up and they stock breakthrough in satin gallons. Think I'm going to give it a try, they really talked it up to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronmiiller For This Useful Post:
Damon T (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #8

I think you'll be happy with it, just don't put it on heavy. It will run on you. The dry time, recoat time, and block time allows for everything to get done a lot faster. I hate sitting around waiting for paint to dry. I haven't tried it yet in cooler weather(50-60's), but if its warmer than the 77 degrees the label goes by, don't be surprised to see the dry times cut in half. I did a sample when it was upper 80's out and it set up before it even had a chance to try and level itself out. Glad it was a drawer face and easy to sand. Also if your going over dark wood to get a white color, do 2 coats of primer, it covers a lot better.

The only other option I have considered is Insl-X Cabinet Coat but my local BM dealer does not stock it, just their primers. I will check some other stores when I get time and do a comparison.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #9

Fantastic information, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Tags
None