Estimate Help - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View cltaylor3174's Photo Album My Photos
Default Estimate Help

Help please......I do new construction cabinetry and finishing. I have a client that wants me to match his interior trim to the cabinets. Most of the trim is installed and has one coat of primer and paint on it. His painter started this job but can't finish it. The cabinets I did for him are heavily distressed and have a wipe off glaze on them. This would require me sandwiching the glaze in between two waterborne clear coats over the paint. ( I think.......I have not tested the glaze directly on the paint yet.) Anyway, I am not quite sure how to price this job. The glaze is very labor intensive, you spray it on and then have to scrub with steel wool. This is approx a 4 to 5 million dollar home and every foot of trim needs to be distressed. I normaly quote finish for cabinetry, laquers, conversion varnishes, so I am kinda sumpped on what to charge him. I want to be fair with this client and cover my rump at the same time.
Thanks in advance for any help
cltaylor3174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos

Only you know what the actual finish and procedure will be. Nobody can give you any figures apart from yourself. If you're not sure then why not take an hourly rate?
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,658
Thanked 4,393 Times in 1,919 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

If they live in a 4-5 million dollar pad, and want your work, hit them with a hefty T&M rate and do your thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #4

My client is a builder NOT the homeowner...in fact there is no home owner yet. He gives me alot of cabinetry work so I don't want to kill him. I am thinking .50 to .75 per linear foot perapplication. I don't need to tape off and he is buying the material. Am I way off?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75
View paintguy48's Photo Album My Photos

T&M no question. This is custom work, not blow and go. Or, do about 10 feet of test for color and time and work from that.

Good Luck Man
paintguy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #6

Please forgive my ignorance but I have never had to quote a job T&M. I quote everything in a square or linear foot. (Mind you I also do all my work in my own shop) I pretty much have my material and overhead figured in my square foot price. I have done very little site work so I am a little hesitant to charge at an hourly rate for something that might take me twice as long as a professional house painter. Again I apprciate any suggestions,
Caren
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View Slingah's Photo Album My Photos

if he will not take T&M...see if you can do 1 room or area T&M to get a line on how long it will take to do....then go from there on giving a firm price...
no one is going to know your numbers(cost) but you.
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,706 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

I dont think overhead and blah, blah, blah come into play here. Foileffects would be great help to you here. This type of work is for a craftmansman-artist and you need to charge accordingly.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Charge twice what you charge in your shop. That should cover it.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 252
View tedrin's Photo Album My Photos

Just estimate how long it will take you to do the job..Be generous!...If you want to make $45.00/HR ....fine...Just multiply it by the hours you think it will take to finish..Then add the cost of the paint,materials and travelling expenses...It's better to overestimate.
tedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #11
wje

Rewards Points: 1,048
Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,228 Posts
View wje's Photo Album My Photos

Remember to add in the variables here... if you are used to doing work in your shop there is no distractions, you can make your schedule... if you are in a new house I am sure there will be days where there are electrical and plumbing setbacks, so those are days lost, there will be other installs that will be in the way, dust which could tarnish your fine finishes.. .all these thing can end up costing you. explain to the builder that you cannot compete with a basic prime adn 2 coats on the trim, especially if it is installed already as now you are crawling around on your knees, and up and down ladders for casings and door jambs.... too bad you didn't know this ahead of time eh? Woulda been a nice one for you to bang off before they installed it all..

wje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
Right!

Rewards Points: 500
View LOSTinDETAILS's Photo Album My Photos

I feel 45 to 65 hour is reasonable for the work you will be performing if you have the standard operating overhead. If not adjust accordingly. You should have a feel for your method an time to apply finish so you can add that up along with a little for unforseens. Dont undercut yourself and dont blow up the price but do be fair in your estimate. Good luck and show us some pics. when you get it done.
"If you want to go back to a time where we were just a bunch of Serfs under the control of an all powerful king - go ahead and vote republican. And not only will we be dirt poor - we'll be paying these kings rent to farm the land." -Delusional TURD
LOSTinDETAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done.
Caren
Old 06-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

You better contact Foileffects

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None