Estimating the Quanity of Paint Required - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View HSpencer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Estimating the Quanity of Paint Required

"An approximate calculation of the quantity of paint required to paint a house may be made as follows:

Measure girth of house and height to eaves, and if there be gables; to half way up them; multiply one by the other and divide the result by the number of sq ft assumed a gallon will cover (approximately 600 sq ft).

If a second coat, double the quantity. In mixing paint, the average formula per gallon is:

Pure white lead...........................15 1/2 lbs
Pure raw linseed oil......................4 1/2 pts
Pure turpentine............................1/2 pt
Pure drier....................................1/2 pt or less

If for priming, a good proportion is 100 lbs lead, 4 gallons oil, 2 gallons turpentine and not over 1 pint drier, together will make about 9 gallons. The painter must use his judgement or make tests, as to the conditions of the surface, or the season, as this may call for greater or lesser amounts of oil.

If it be over old paint, he will decide that two well brushed out coats are best, adding less oil, and a greater percentage of drier. For the second coat, he will use a gallon more oil and the total will make about 7 gallons and will cover 4,000 or more feet. Using this table and having made his allowance for labor, he should be able to give a very fair estimate. On best jobs no ready mixed paint will be used. Get the best white lead ground in 8% of oil.

From: Audel's Carpenters and Builders Guide #4, copyright 1928.

I wonder just how many of the old painters, my Grandpa included, died of this stuff!!!!
HSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HSpencer For This Useful Post:
NEPS.US (02-05-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,338
Thanked 1,556 Times in 778 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSpencer View Post
"An approximate calculation of the quantity of paint required to paint a house may be made as follows:

Measure girth of house and height to eaves, and if there be gables; to half way up them; multiply one by the other and divide the result by the number of sq ft assumed a gallon will cover (approximately 600 sq ft).

If a second coat, double the quantity. In mixing paint, the average formula per gallon is:

Pure white lead...........................15 1/2 lbs
Pure raw linseed oil......................4 1/2 pts
Pure turpentine............................1/2 pt
Pure drier....................................1/2 pt or less

If for priming, a good proportion is 100 lbs lead, 4 gallons oil, 2 gallons turpentine and not over 1 pint drier, together will make about 9 gallons. The painter must use his judgement or make tests, as to the conditions of the surface, or the season, as this may call for greater or lesser amounts of oil.

If it be over old paint, he will decide that two well brushed out coats are best, adding less oil, and a greater percentage of drier. For the second coat, he will use a gallon more oil and the total will make about 7 gallons and will cover 4,000 or more feet. Using this table and having made his allowance for labor, he should be able to give a very fair estimate. On best jobs no ready mixed paint will be used. Get the best white lead ground in 8% of oil.

From: Audel's Carpenters and Builders Guide #4, copyright 1928.

I wonder just how many of the old painters, my Grandpa included, died of this stuff!!!!
Girth? Reminds me of this:
epretot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epretot For This Useful Post:
HSpencer (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
The Long Island Painter

Rewards Points: 250
View Lee Decorating Corp.'s Photo Album My Photos

My Grandfather used to tell me about adding and mixing the lead. He died the youngest of 6 brothers. 91 years old. His other brothers were painters too.
He said the secret was to drink milk before working. I do not know if it really worked. he also said he would have a shot of whiskey after work too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#
Lee Decorating Corp. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Decorating Corp. For This Useful Post:
HSpencer (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75
View HSpencer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Decorating Corp. View Post
My Grandfather used to tell me about adding and mixing the lead. He died the youngest of 6 brothers. 91 years old. His other brothers were painters too.
He said the secret was to drink milk before working. I do not know if it really worked. he also said he would have a shot of whiskey after work too.
My grandpa died at age 75, but it was after a long bout of lung diseases.
I remember an old machine the doctor sent home with him for breathing treatments. I also heard about the milk, maybe there is something to that. Grandpa also smoked cigarettes as many people did in those days.
Thanks for your response.
HSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

I thought it was Orange juice. Load up on vitamin C.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None