Estimating Residential New Construction - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Always Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Estimating Residential New Construction

I'm going to be estimating some new construction homes for a contractor. He has always had a painter bid the job by the floor square footage which I am not to familiar with. This is probably the reason why those painters are not working for him anymore.
I have only done wall and ceiling sq.ft. on commercial jobs and bid it between $.30-.50 per square (paint included) depening on product and difficulty. I mainly do custom repaints and bid it by the amount of hours it would take plus cushion, plus paint and materials.
The contractor is going to be buying the paint and materials for every job. He wants 1 primer coat to be sprayed and backrolled on ceilings(plus 1 finish on ceiling) and walls,prepped and 2 coats semigloss sprayed on trim & doors and 2 coats eggshell (1 color) on walls. The amount of trim and ceiling height varies from job to job.
Any advise on how I should bid these homes out would be appreciated. How do I bid the trimwork?sqare feet? Is there a standard for wall square footage on residential jobs? I have been biding jobs for only about a year, so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Always Painting; 07-14-2011 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: error
Always Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

I wouldn't bid by the square unless they were all the same. You can loose your shirt, and pants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
Always Painting (07-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

Please post your location so we can help you better

|
|
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

In my area you can get your figures anyway you want but the builders like it submitted in a sqft fashion. So for me I work my numbers and then submit in sqft. I would imagine you may just want to do it the way you did the commercial work and then add in for the trim.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Always Painting (07-14-2011), Gibberish45 (07-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 530
View Gibberish45's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
In my area you can get your figures anyway you want but the builders like it submitted in a sqft fashion. So for me I work my numbers and then submit in sqft. I would imagine you may just want to do it the way you did the commercial work and then add in for the trim.
That's great advice. Stick with what you know and give him your number the way he wants it. Good luck! New construction scares me.....
Gibberish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gibberish45 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with Work, you can convert your rates to square feet. But it is the extras that will get you. If you are not used to reading plans, or the plans don't have detail, you can get screwed, "I didn't bid it for crown molding, cased windows, stairs, etc".
You have to be really efficient for NC, and have a builder that knows what he is doing.
I sometimes use square feet, but have rates for all trim, vaulted, doors, etc. Some are lineal feet, some are by each. You also have Single, Two or Three Tone rates.
Are you able to spec the paint? Is he going to provide all the materials? NC takes a lot of caulk, sandpaper, plastic, paper? How many hours of touch up will you have to figure in? Don't forget all the time you will spend cleaning and vacuuming before you can spray.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
Always Painting (07-14-2011), CliffK (07-14-2011), Workaholic (07-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
I agree with Work, you can convert your rates to square feet. But it is the extras that will get you. If you are not used to reading plans, or the plans don't have detail, you can get screwed, "I didn't bid it for crown molding, cased windows, stairs, etc".
You have to be really efficient for NC, and have a builder that knows what he is doing.
I sometimes use square feet, but have rates for all trim, vaulted, doors, etc. Some are lineal feet, some are by each. You also have Single, Two or Three Tone rates.
Are you able to spec the paint? Is he going to provide all the materials? NC takes a lot of caulk, sandpaper, plastic, paper? How many hours of touch up will you have to figure in? Don't forget all the time you will spend cleaning and vacuuming before you can spray.
I knew you would express what I wanted to say but was to lazy.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #8

I appreciate all of the advice everyone. Its pretty much what my gut was telling me but its good to hear it from others with more experience. Aside from getting the work, biding has been a major learning experience this past year. I am working out of eastern Tn. for the guy who was wondering. Thanks again
Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Another thing is to have "extra charge for materials not installed at time of painting". My guys showed up to a house this week and there was no base, they had decided at the last minute to put all tile floors in. That will be an extra charge to go back.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
Always Painting (07-15-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75
View Precision-TBay's Photo Album My Photos

new housing is to painting what weddings are to photography. That means run away, fast!
Precision-TBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

and make sure you get details spelled out in the contract, like job sequencing with all the other contractors, accessibility to areas, electricity, etc.

A look at the PDCA standards http://pdca.org/governance/standards will give you some good points to touch upon.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Always Painting (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #12

Thanks all good advise. Does anyone have any advise for what kinda wording to have on my contract to cover the scheduling issues and the little add ons at the end of the job that contractors always want you to do for free?
I have the repaints and commercial/light industrials contracts written out properly so I don't loose my shirt but I think I might want to make up a new proposal sheet for this contractor. He said he does from 30-40 houses a year so there's gonna be alot of chances for stuff to not go as planned.
I want to have lots of ammo for this one. I have had some bad experiences with contractors before. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
This is my first time on this site an I have already had my confidence go up because of it. Thanks everyone you've all been a great help.

Tags
None