ext paint recommendations for WA & OR - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
40yrs painting

Rewards Points: 95
View rjensen ptg's Photo Album My Photos
Default ext paint recommendations for WA & OR

in NY i used BM 99% of the time. since i moved out to the northwest, people like Parker Paint & SW. so i've been using those on my 'limited' exteriors. i'd rather use BM. what are your recommendations for ext.?

med to high end, residential. (siding or shingles)

if BM... is the ben the way to go? i used to use moorguard a lot, but that was years ago, is it still good? of course i know aura is the best... what's 2nd best?

thanx all - rick

ps - sorry if this was covered already, i did search.
rjensen ptg is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Ben is a great paint, I really like it. Not the same grade as moorguard, the gennex equivalent is Regal Select.

I really like it, just dries really fast which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
www.mpwdenver.com

Rewards Points: 150
View Mod Paint Works's Photo Album My Photos

Aura Exterior gives best results I've seen in a while.
I'm interested in learning more about California Paints as my local shop just brought them in - rated #1 ext. paint for past 10 years....

Mod Paint Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 256
View BreatheEasyHP's Photo Album My Photos

Higher gloss holds up to moisture better...I think it's a li'l rainier in Olympia than Everret, but not by much.

Friends say Parker used to be awesome, but slipped in quality and consistency after some VOC regs changed (and something about ownership or production...)

The only time I used Parker it was thin, drippy, and didn't cover color at all well. But I don't remember which line I used, so maybe they have a couple good paints.

I mostly use SW on exteriors. I have my reasons.
BreatheEasyHP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BreatheEasyHP For This Useful Post:
rjensen ptg (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
40yrs painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheEasyHP View Post

I mostly use SW on exteriors. I have my reasons.
financial reasons, or have u found it is superior to BM?

thanx
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

Super Paint Satin. Two coats. I moved to the NW in '96 have painted all over Oregon and Washington for 15 yrs. I've used pretty much every product available in this area. I have used a lot of Super Paint and it holds up well. I always do two coats and as I already mentioned, its usually satin. I dont care much for Miller Acrolite or Rodda 909 & 911. I have seen what they look like after a few years and its not good. Aura is probably the best product I've ever used, but not everyone wants to spend the extra $600-$800. Same thing with Duration. Great product, but its hard to sell when your bidding against guys using $20 a gal Miller or Rodda. I've only used Ben on one job and I think it was around $35 per gal. I get SP for $26.99 per gal. Another common practice in this area is Super Paint on the body and Duration on the trim. Then again, if your used to BM, why not stick with it? Im coming to a transition point from SW to BM myself. $26.99 a gal for SP is a good price, but I have been selling more jobs with the upgrade then I used to. (maybe my sales skills have improved?) Plus my local BM dealer sends way more jobs my way than SW does.
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6126 For This Useful Post:
BreatheEasyHP (07-11-2011), rjensen ptg (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
40yrs painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
Super Paint Satin. Two coats. I moved to the NW in '96 have painted all over Oregon and Washington for 15 yrs. I've used pretty much every product available in this area. I have used a lot of Super Paint and it holds up well. I always do two coats and as I already mentioned, its usually satin. I dont care much for Miller Acrolite or Rodda 909 & 911. I have seen what they look like after a few years and its not good. Aura is probably the best product I've ever used, but not everyone wants to spend the extra $600-$800. Same thing with Duration. Great product, but its hard to sell when your bidding against guys using $20 a gal Miller or Rodda. I've only used Ben on one job and I think it was around $35 per gal. I get SP for $26.99 per gal. Another common practice in this area is Super Paint on the body and Duration on the trim. Then again, if your used to BM, why not stick with it? Im coming to a transition point from SW to BM myself. $26.99 a gal for SP is a good price, but I have been selling more jobs with the upgrade then I used to. (maybe my sales skills have improved?) Plus my local BM dealer sends way more jobs my way than SW does.
because i haven't used BM on ext in 6+ yrs. - the different formulation, and new lines have left me ignorant. i don't want to paint an entire ext. w/moorguard without knowing it is still good.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 256
View BreatheEasyHP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjensen ptg View Post
financial reasons, or have u found it is superior to BM?

thanx
I like both the store managers in Olympia. One is good at asking regulars questions about how products are working and is a great wealth of info.

I can get their paints on both the East and West side...and Olympia isn't exactly big. So access is great.

I often do the same as Woodland and LOVE duration for trim (esp. with a little XIM additive). He has 15 years experience, I have less, but I ask a lot of questions - the painters I respect around here think it's a good approach.

Also, SW has great name recognition. I've had clients who I tell I'm specing duration and they're like - wow, you use good paint. I'm like - why the f* do you know what duration is?
BreatheEasyHP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BreatheEasyHP For This Useful Post:
rjensen ptg (07-12-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
RH

Rewards Points: 5,704
Thanked 15,412 Times in 8,084 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Miller is big in Oregon and Washington but when I was doing exteriors I never much cared for their exterior line. I'd respect Woodland and BreatheEasyHP opinions on this. I only do interior work now and like the Miller line for that.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 07-12-2011 at 05:16 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
rjensen ptg (07-12-2011)

Tags
None