Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum

Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum (https://www.painttalk.com/)
-   General Painting Discussion (https://www.painttalk.com/f2/)
-   -   Exterior 2015. The end (https://www.painttalk.com/f2/exterior-2015-end-50410/)

radio11 09-23-2015 11:27 PM

Is that brick pier leaning or is the ambien kickin in?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilpaintchic 09-23-2015 11:35 PM

I'm wrapping it up now. I'll take on a quick touch up or small project, but scheduling for spring now. (Already have April and most of May scheduled ...Fairly loosely and weather dependant)I just explain that the price goes up and the quality goes down on bigger projects this late. Unless it's a project for sale, people generally aren't opposed to the idea of waiting.

ExcelPaintingCo 09-24-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gough
What it means depends a lot on where you are. In the PNW, that'll likely mean drier and warmer. During some of the previous episodes, we painted outside all winter. It was great, almost none of that awful interior work.

The biggest PNW downside is lower snowfall in the mountains. We need snow, especially with last seasons lack there of.

I take back my earlier comment about already starting to struggle outside. This week has been really nice, and today is amazingly perfect for exterior painting: 74 degrees, low humidity, no wind.

Most of my guys prefer to work outside on nice days, so it's really good for moral. I'm getting ready for my second midday motorcycle ride since Tuesday, so my moral is very high!

ExcelPaintingCo 09-24-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIZZOU
4 exterior calls yesterday, people wait until last minute like this every fall ddc4e

Same here. I'm convinced there is a certain percentage of the population that thinks a day or two is sufficient time between initial contact and starting a job. I'd love to figure out how to better capitalize off of short-notice service. It pains me to say no to anybody that is practically begging for me to take their money.

Gough 09-24-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcelPaintingCo (Post 954738)
The biggest PNW downside is lower snowfall in the mountains. We need snow, especially with last seasons lack there of.

I take back my earlier comment about already starting to struggle outside. This week has been really nice, and today is amazingly perfect for exterior painting: 74 degrees, low humidity, no wind.

Most of my guys prefer to work outside on nice days, so it's really good for moral. I'm getting ready for my second midday motorcycle ride since Tuesday, so my moral is very high!

Yeah, we desperately need the snow pack. I was surprised we didn't have brown outs this summer.

Especially after the hot spell, our weather has been close to perfect for exterior work. I just wish we had a little more daylight.

DeanV 09-24-2015 03:07 PM

We will be done this week with all that we need to be finished with. We have a couple last minute calls that we might try with the "if the weather allows, see what we can do disclaimer."

daArch 09-24-2015 03:17 PM

http://previews.123rf.com/images/noe...tock-Photo.jpg

Hello, Mrs Dunn?

No do due to dew




Gough 09-24-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daArch (Post 954826)

What is that?

The dewpoint temps here have finally soared out of the teens...all the way into the low thirties. I don't think we've had dew since April....

PACman 09-24-2015 04:48 PM

I hope it's not over! I still have a 5hit ton of deck stain to move!

daArch 09-24-2015 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gough (Post 954842)
What is that?

The dewpoint temps here have finally soared out of the teens...all the way into the low thirties. I don't think we've had dew since April....

You never seen dew on a car window?

What time DO you start work?

Duuuuude.




Gough 09-24-2015 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daArch (Post 955010)
You never seen dew on a car window?

What time DO you start work?

Duuuuude.

Not in the last 42 years.

j/k, but, seriously, I don't think we've had dew on the windshield ...or the grass, since April. And it's not a matter of time of day.

It has been drier than usual this year, but we often have no rain from the end of June until the middle of October.

TrueColors 09-24-2015 09:24 PM

Exterior 2015. The end
 
On my last exterior, should be done mid next week. Temps are about 4-6 Celsius at night and little dew in the morning. Using aura in this project so it says minimum 4.4 celcius. I don't think a little dew at night is a big deal. I mean heck I've done tons of exteriors and finished painting for the day at 5pm and it pours rain at night..... Never had a problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daArch 09-24-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gough (Post 955282)
Not in the last 42 years.

j/k, but, seriously, I don't think we've had dew on the windshield ...or the grass, since April. And it's not a matter of time of day.

It has been drier than usual this year, but we often have no rain from the end of June until the middle of October.

We're seeing morning dew much more frequently. In the past week 5 AM temps have been in mid to high 40's about four times. The season is definitely hearing the fat lady warming up.

We always had a rule not to start any outside work after Oct 1. So far this Sept started off REALLY warm and now the days are perfect low 70's, clear blue sky, and dry as a bone. Almost wish I were still working.........ALMOST.




Gough 09-24-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daArch (Post 955546)
We're seeing morning dew much more frequently. In the past week 5 AM temps have been in mid to high 40's about four times. The season is definitely hearing the fat lady warming up.

We always had a rule not to start any outside work after Oct 1. So far this Sept started off REALLY warm and now the days are perfect low 70's, clear blue sky, and dry as a bone. Almost wish I were still working.........ALMOST.

We've had temps in the 30's...but dew points below that. One of the huge advantages of the "summer dry": the lower humidity means much greater diurnal temperature fluctuation. It's not uncommon to have a 30- 40 degree difference between daily high and low temperature.

lilpaintchic 09-24-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcelPaintingCo (Post 954738)
The biggest PNW downside is lower snowfall in the mountains. We need snow, especially with last seasons lack there of.

I take back my earlier comment about already starting to struggle outside. This week has been really nice, and today is amazingly perfect for exterior painting: 74 degrees, low humidity, no wind.

Most of my guys prefer to work outside on nice days, so it's really good for moral. I'm getting ready for my second midday motorcycle ride since Tuesday, so my moral is very high!


Hey Neighbor! Enjoy the sunshine while it's here! We just finished our biggest job and biggest pita of the season on tues...finished up a couple of lingering projects since then and tomorrow is clean out the vans and trailer (after I take the guys to breakfast) and just catch our breath for a minute...I feel ya about moral, it's been a lonnnnggggggg tough summer around here. we're ready to go inside and play! have fun on your bike! vroommmmm
p.s AVOID ALL DUCKS

daArch 09-25-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilpaintchic (Post 955682)
Hey Neighbor! Enjoy the sunshine while it's here! We just finished our biggest job and biggest pita of the season on tues...finished up a couple of lingering projects since then and tomorrow is clean out the vans and trailer (after I take the guys to breakfast) and just catch our breath for a minute...I feel ya about moral, it's been a lonnnnggggggg tough summer around here. we're ready to go inside and play! have fun on your bike! vroommmmm
p.s AVOID ALL DUCKS

HORRIBLE story, my sympathies to all involved. (Boston's ducks have averted any such tragedies - but they don't drive on highways, just clog the city streets)

BTW, didn't Seattle have a duck that sank, or some sort of catastrophe in the not too distant past?




The Cutting Edge 09-25-2015 07:48 AM

We had one in Branson that hit something in the water and sank. There were deaths but I don't remember how many.

ExcelPaintingCo 09-25-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilpaintchic
Hey Neighbor! Enjoy the sunshine while it's here! We just finished our biggest job and biggest pita of the season on tues...finished up a couple of lingering projects since then and tomorrow is clean out the vans and trailer (after I take the guys to breakfast) and just catch our breath for a minute...I feel ya about moral, it's been a lonnnnggggggg tough summer around here. we're ready to go inside and play! have fun on your bike! vroommmmm p.s AVOID ALL DUCKS

Hey, I didn't realize you were a local! Back to reality this morning.....rain...... Next week's forecast is looking good though. Maybe some more good riding days left. : )

I've never felt safe around those duck things. I hope they get shut down for good after this latest tragedy.

stelzerpaintinginc. 09-25-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueColors (Post 955530)
On my last exterior, should be done mid next week. Temps are about 4-6 Celsius at night and little dew in the morning. Using aura in this project so it says minimum 4.4 celcius. I don't think a little dew at night is a big deal. I mean heck I've done tons of exteriors and finished painting for the day at 5pm and it pours rain at night..... Never had a problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



I know what you're saying, but I think whether or not the dew affects the paint depends upon a lot of factors. In some situations, the dew can wreak havoc, as I'm sure you know. Painting gutters right before dark when wet-bulb tempts are closing in on dry-bulb temps is a recipe for headaches. Those little water droplets that condense on top of the gutters and trickle down before the paint has time to set-up enough = a custom tiger-stripe in the morning. Ever had that? Can't sand it cuz it's not cured enough. Can't dry-wipe it cuz it's set-up too much. Lot's of solvent-wiping, rags & cursing is all that will fix it.

In the past couple years, I've really tried to focus on the relation & proximity between wet-bulb temps & dry-bulb. Phone apps now are so great you can actually see at what particular time the 2 will be within 5 degrees of one another, (5 degrees F). So, when I'm trying to plan on pushing the limit, I'll paint just long enough to insure adequate set-up time has elapsed before wet-bulb temps get withing 5 degrees F of the dry-bulb temp. The fatal flaw in my plan is assuming the forecast is correct.

ExcelPaintingCo 09-25-2015 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc.
I know what you're saying, but I think whether or not the dew affects the paint depends upon a lot of factors. In some situations, the dew can wreak havoc, as I'm sure you know. Painting gutters right before dark when wet-bulb tempts are closing in on dry-bulb temps is a recipe for headaches. Those little water droplets that condense on top of the gutters and trickle down before the paint has time to set-up enough = a custom tiger-stripe in the morning. Ever had that? Can't sand it cuz it's not cured enough. Can't dry-wipe it cuz it's set-up too much. Lot's of solvent-wiping, rags & cursing is all that will fix it. In the past couple years, I've really tried to focus on the relation & proximity between wet-bulb temps & dry-bulb. Phone apps now are so great you can actually see at what particular time the 2 will be within 5 degrees of one another, (5 degrees F). So, when I'm trying to plan on pushing the limit, I'll paint just long enough to insure adequate set-up time has elapsed before wet-bulb temps get withing 5 degrees F of the dry-bulb temp. The fatal flaw in my plan is assuming the forecast is correct.

What I've found is: condensation on the freshly painted gutters forms under the new layer of paint. It creates little water filled bubbles. Oddly enough when that has happened, and the paint is allowed to dry without disturbing the bubbles, there never seems to be long-term problems (no call backs), but it sure doesn't look pretty when its occurring.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.