Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Exterior paint on interior shutters.

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Stonehampaintdept 
#1 ·
The shutters were sprayed with oil before and the oil began to peel after 16 years (not surprised). However, they may have peeled prematurely, didn't get all the info.

Question is what trim paint would you go with for something like this thatakes take a real beating from the sun??

#5 ·
Xmark said:
acrylic semi-gloss paint unless you strip it down to bare wood. then i'd use an acrylic stain. semi-transparent won't peel as much as a solid hide.
I like the stain idea. Unfortunately they still have plenty of sound paint on them.

This brings up the argument why not put acrylic solid stain right over the oil? That stuff is sticky!

#9 ·
CApainter said:
Careful of using exterior coatings on interiors. Some products may have mercury, fungicides, or insecticides in the ingredients.
Yes I agree. This is probably the deal breaker. Really don't wante or the ho worried about gassing off any chems that belong outside and not indoors.

I think interior acrylic will be plenty improvement.

#13 ·
Thanks for the ideas. It's probably going to get sprayed with cs primer first, then some interior acrylic.

Shutters are too intricate and too costly to repair so will have to stick with tried and true on this one.

I only wish I new the long term possible consequences to putting the finish on the cs without letting the cs more fully cure; like three to seven days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.