exterior painting in ny/ best low temp paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
View dincao's Photo Album My Photos
Default exterior painting in ny/ best low temp paint

HEY GUYS

I HAVE AN EXTERIOR THAT THE HOMEOWNER REFUSES TO PAINT IN SPRING AND WANTS IT DOWN NOW!!! I NEED TO HAVE SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT IS THE BEST LOW TEMP PAINT IN MY MARKET????
IT EITHER HAS TO BE SW OR BM OR IF I HAVE TO PL..... HELP PLEASE!!!! THE TEMP WILL BE AROUND 50 FOR THE NEXT WEEK OR SO LOW IN THE MID 30S...
dincao is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Mopaint

Rewards Points: 75
View Mopaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default low temp

SW has a 35 degree paint.Paint the north side early in the day.Porter has a good one as well. Mopaint
Mopaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 156
View painterman's Photo Album My Photos

If the daytime temps are 50...what are you worried about. Any BM paint will work. Stop around 4 pm and you will be fine. I have applied gallons of BM at 40 with no problems at all.
painterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
FT painter/FT dad

Rewards Points: 500
View Rich's Photo Album My Photos
Default don't fret

Most exterior finish paints these days are 35 degree and above. I would recommend SW superpaint for a good mid-priced, very durable product.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

It's true that most big paint stores have 35 degree cold weather paint, i have experience with porters, and ici. I like the ici dulux better.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 PM   #6

View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

use oil, it will dry in the spring
painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

I use superpaint this time of year. Explain to the homeowner that the temperature of the surface is more important than air temp. If it has warmed up to 35 degrees but the shaded side wall is still below freezing it is not going to work. ....
We did exteriors till Christmas last year and had to start at 9:00am or later and stop by around 3:00 pm to allow the paint to dry before temps dropped below freezing. My employees loved the short days. I on the other hand went crazy!....
We had a great customer who understood the reason for the short days and was ok with it.
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
FT painter/FT dad

View Rich's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
We had a great customer who understood the reason for the short days and was ok with it.
That's impressive...painting outside until X-mas. Someone did mention to me, while visiting Ocean City, that they may only get 5-6 inches of snow per winter...is this true?

I guess I have a different mentality about the workfront. 9-3 is fine for me everyday. That's why I'm in business for myself. My customers don't need to know why I work when I do...for all they know, I have 3 hours of paper work waiting at home and an hour commute.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #9

View Tmrrptr's Photo Album My Photos

I'm with Rich... I spent so many years on jobs rolling out cords and hoses in the dark, so we could start at first light... But that was what was needed.

Now, my sked is later, and shorter, because we do mostly residential work.
Unwise to prevent the breadwinner from getting off to the salt mine and kiddies off to skool smoothly... and it would not be wise to work as kids came home from skool. As the Dude says, kids and paint don't mix!
Neither do dogs or cats.

From time to time we do night work, if required for the sked of a business.

... I have never gotten benefit for myself when any client asked to rush a job, though... from large corporate builders trying for early completion so they could get their bonus' to families with guests on the way...
Some ask for longer hours, some ask for saturday or even sunday work.
It's always resulted in burnout or time away from my family for no reason.
r
Tmrrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Born To Be Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's impressive...painting outside until X-mas. Someone did mention to me, while visiting Ocean City, that they may only get 5-6 inches of snow per winter...is this true?

The closer you get to the coast the less snow you get (generally). This job was in a Baltimore suburb.

I guess I have a different mentality about the workfront. 9-3 is fine for me everyday. That's why I'm in business for myself. My customers don't need to know why I work when I do...for all they know, I have 3 hours of paper work waiting at home and an hour commute.
Everyone has different ideas on how many hours they want to work. I just believe that you work eight hours to get by and more for success. Everybody's definition of success is different. Everybody has a level of contentment the are happy with.....
Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Born To Be Mild

I'll get this quote thing right one day.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10
View sunnydays's Photo Album My Photos

Duration.
sunnydays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None