exterior vinyl windows - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Delta Painting
  • 1 Post By CApainter
  • 1 Post By Wildbill7145
  • 2 Post By PNW Painter
  • 1 Post By jennifertemple
  • 1 Post By DeanV

Old 06-02-2019, 12:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
View Brilliant_Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default exterior vinyl windows

I'm painting the exterior of some vinyl window jambs, and the customer wants them to be a flat black (I have warned her about going black she is aware of the potential warping of the window jambs) I am using aerosol cans since its the quickest easiest way to paint them, I have been using a self-etching automotive primer on them since I wasn't to sure what would stick well enough to the vinyl window jabs and give it a flat finish, it seems to be working well but The store I got it from is closed for the weekend and I need more to finish by Monday I was wondering if there is another product as good or even better suited for this job that I could use. I am also a little concerned that the primer might not have enough UV protection I'm wondering if it will hold up to the sun. The product im using is "Dominion Sure Seal One step Automotive Self Etch Primer" Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Brilliant_Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 192
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Good luck with that! They will be all distorted in less than a month of hot summer sun..
finishesbykevyn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta Painting For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,476
Thanked 9,631 Times in 5,478 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldn't agree that applying an aerosol primer as an exterior finish coat, is a best practice. And since it isn't a polyurethane or acrylic resin, it is highly likely that UV rays will break the film down sooner than later based on environmental conditions and exposure.

Pella windows voids all warranties if their vinyl windows are painted and therefore, does not recommend painting them.

However, since the owner is completely aware of the above limitations and has agreed to move forward with the coating system suggested, it is considered experimental and subject to failure without recourse.
Holland likes this.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,458
Thanked 4,554 Times in 2,521 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldn't go near that job with a 100' pole. Interesting that this came up today as I just posted about a guy a couple of years ago with almost exactly the same question. The population of PT did what they could to convince him not to go ahead with this.
Gymschu likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14
View Brilliant_Painting's Photo Album My Photos

can u send me a link to that post
Brilliant_Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,458
Thanked 4,554 Times in 2,521 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Painting View Post
can u send me a link to that post
It was a couple of years ago, so it could be like finding a needle in the proverbial hay stack. As I remember, I think he (thankfully) declined the job at the end of the day. It wasn't exactly a monumental thread, basically everyone just telling him to run away from doing it.

It's just weird because just yesterday it popped into my head and I mentioned it, and here we are again. Anyhoo, I hope you don't get caught up in this. It could turn into a massive mess.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,476
Thanked 9,631 Times in 5,478 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I mean, it's really tempting to paint vinyl windows because the white can look awful in a new color scheme. And the coating system the OP offers up seems sound in terms of adhesion. After all, the primer's vehicle is made up of Methyl Ethyl Ketone, among other solvents. And MEK is actually used as a primer for cementing PVC piping.

But it is impossible to validate this experimental system when the manufacturers of vinyl windows strongly recommends not painting them. And even if a dozen painters on a public forum were to agree that you could paint them, it still is not considered a best practice let alone a standard practice.

But painting is one of those trades that lends itself to experimentation, given the lack of adherence to standard practices, albeit often acceptable outcomes.

Last edited by CApainter; 06-02-2019 at 05:15 PM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

If the windows perform like vinyl siding, itís quite possible that painting them black could cause the windows to melt if theyíre exposed to direct sunlight for most of the day.

Iíd definitely include verbiage in your contract that your not liable for any damage painting those windows WILL cause and that painting the windows will likely voids the mfgís warranty. Make sure you get a signed and dated copy of this as well.

Iíd also recommend that she talks with the window mfg about painting her windows. She might not listen to you, but maybe they can set her straight.

You might also recommend that your client at least chooses a vinyl safe color from BM or SW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wildbill7145 and Brushman4 like this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #9
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 739
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Painting View Post
I'm painting the exterior of some vinyl window jambs, and the customer wants them to be a flat black (I have warned her about going black she is aware of the potential warping of the window jambs) I am using aerosol cans since its the quickest easiest way to paint them, I have been using a self-etching automotive primer on them since I wasn't to sure what would stick well enough to the vinyl window jabs and give it a flat finish, it seems to be working well but The store I got it from is closed for the weekend and I need more to finish by Monday I was wondering if there is another product as good or even better suited for this job that I could use. I am also a little concerned that the primer might not have enough UV protection I'm wondering if it will hold up to the sun. The product im using is "Dominion Sure Seal One step Automotive Self Etch Primer" Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
You mean you were just going to paint them with black primer and that's it. ? Depending on where the house is located, it's not garunteed that the vinyl will warp (but very possible).
However, the answer is yes that your primer will also most likely break down from UV rays.
All that aside, Krylon makes a great spray can that apparently is self priming sticks to plastics, yadayada..Not sure if it's rated for exterior though..?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:02 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 542
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
You mean you were just going to paint them with black primer and that's it. ? Depending on where the house is located, it's not garunteed that the vinyl will warp (but very possible).
However, the answer is yes that your primer will also most likely break down from UV rays.
All that aside, Krylon makes a great spray can that apparently is self priming sticks to plastics, yadayada..Not sure if it's rated for exterior though..?
Graffiti artist use it on exterior work, constantly!
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
mug

Rewards Points: 10
View mug's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Graffiti artist use it on exterior work, constantly!
I sprayed my Avalanche with the Krylon. Held up ok for a year until I sold it.
Attached Thumbnails
exterior vinyl windows-20190604_165143_1559685371422.jpg  

mug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 464
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Hereís something that many donít know, and I didnít know it either until it happened to me..twice!

When painting a window sash black or a color with a low light reflectance value, whether is be vinyl, wood, or metal, you run the risk of the glass developing thermal stress fractures. Quite often the water-jet cutting of annealed glass results in micro-edge defects during the fabrication process which typically wouldnít result in the glass fracturing in itself. Itís only when a temperature differential exists across the glass panel, the edges of the glass where meeting the dark painted sash get hotter than in the center resulting in fracturing, the fractures initiating at the edge defect. This happened on two of my projects with multiple glass panels, including the one Iím currently on, having painted the exterior wood sash a dark charcoal color with an LRV of 12%, the glass perimeters getting hotter than in the center, resulting in fractures across the glass panel.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redux For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (12-13-2019), finishesbykevyn (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,982
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

If she insists, prime with InslX Stix.

Going with a semi-gloss or satin would be better than flat.

I don't think any warping will occur like siding which has a very large surface area and is not as rigid.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #14
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 104
Thanked 5,160 Times in 2,814 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

So, do we think that vinyl safe colors will alleviate the risk or not? I am suspicious of the actual ability of leaving the black out of a formula to have a significant effect on the temperature of the surface. I plan on testing this soon though.

We also have a customer who put white windows in their condo but association rules require them to be either that dark, brown color of the original windows or to match the siding color (currently a medium dark green).
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #15
Painting & More

Rewards Points: 576
View A+HomeWork's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Redux View Post
Hereís something that many donít know, and I didnít know it either until it happened to me..twice!

When painting a window sash black or a color with a low light reflectance value, whether is be vinyl, wood, or metal, you run the risk of the glass developing thermal stress fractures. Quite often the water-jet cutting of annealed glass results in micro-edge defects during the fabrication process which typically wouldnít result in the glass fracturing in itself. Itís only when a temperature differential exists across the glass panel, the edges of the glass where meeting the dark painted sash get hotter than in the center resulting in fracturing, the fractures initiating at the edge defect. This happened on two of my projects with multiple glass panels, including the one Iím currently on, having painted the exterior wood sash a dark charcoal color with an LRV of 12%, the glass perimeters getting hotter than in the center, resulting in fractures across the glass panel.
That certainly makes sense, but what about windows that are dark bronze or black from the manufacturer?
Old 12-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 158
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

My wife wants to put factory black vinyl windows in an apartment building we purchased. I'm dubious of that as well. Personally, I think it will fade and look like garbage sooner rather than later. My take: paint the trim and all black; live with the white vinyl windows.

For some reason, known only to advanced science people, flat black fades like a mofo.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:52 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 3,038
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

I say paint it black, black as night, don't want to see the sun no more.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:19 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,452
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug View Post
I sprayed my Avalanche with the Krylon. Held up ok for a year until I sold it.
Believe it or not, I had an F150 with trim almost as bad as that and I coated it with Penetrol...brought it right back to black. Lasts about 6-8 months. Penetrol does a great job on restoring and maintaining the black on auto plastics...much better than anything in the auto stores.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 464
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+HomeWork View Post
That certainly makes sense, but what about windows that are dark bronze or black from the manufacturer?
With dark colored manufactured units, the use of laser cut glass along with properly engineered thermal breaks, as well as using hardened or tempered glass would reduce the chances of it happening. One of my builder clients had to change out over $3 million in thermally fractured triple ply thermal panels sourced from Germany on a large residential home he built where the frames were dark factory finished steel. Those too were cut with water jets.

I’ve personally only experienced it on two homes, one of which resulted in $26K worth of glass being changed out. It was determined that the water jet cut glass had micro edge defects, and the thermal differential over the glass panel faces exceeded the tolerances for annealed glass. The dark paint color combined with poorly engineered thermal breaks was a contributing factor. The manufacturer has since switched to laser cutting. It rarely to never happens on less expensive common stock windows.

Most windows manufacturers have an LRV spec, and the spec should always be followed for this and other reasons.

Last edited by Redux; 12-13-2019 at 06:54 AM..
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automotive, exterior, primer, self etch, vinyl