Exterior Wood Door Systems - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 08-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Vipervgts's Photo Album My Photos
Default Exterior Wood Door Systems

My exterior Honduran Mahogany doors just came in. From the MFG they were treated with Sikkens Cetol 1 Dark Oak. I need to get this to a Espresso type finish without killing to much of the wood grain. So I’m guessing a semi translucent product. Can I use The Sikkens Door and window with added colorant? I painted the outside jambs with Sikkens door and windows dark oak as a test and not as dark as I hoped.

Maybe another system will be better.
Vipervgts is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75
View poet-1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipervgts View Post
My exterior Honduran Mahogany doors just came in. From the MFG they were treated with Sikkens Cetol 1 Dark Oak. I need to get this to a Espresso type finish without killing to much of the wood grain. So Iím guessing a semi translucent product. Can I use The Sikkens Door and window with added colorant? I painted the outside jambs with Sikkens door and windows dark oak as a test and not as dark as I hoped.

Maybe another system will be better.
Yes, Sikkens Door and Window can be used over Cetol 1 (2 coats recommended). If I recall correctly, Sikkens Door & Window, and also Cetol 23 Plus (which is designed to use with Cetol 1) are only available in 2 dark colors: 045 Mahogany and 009 Dark Oak. Other available colors are much lighter.

2 coats of Door & Window (or Cetol 23) Dark Oak over existing Cetol 1 will darken/deepen the color significantly. Also, I think it is ok to add colorant to Sikkens products to achieve a darker color if desired (I'd tint the first coat only).
poet-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poet-1 For This Useful Post:
Vipervgts (08-22-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet-1 View Post
Yes, Sikkens Door and Window can be used over Cetol 1 (2 coats recommended). If I recall correctly, Sikkens Door & Window, and also Cetol 23 Plus (which is designed to use with Cetol 1) are only available in 2 dark colors: 045 Mahogany and 009 Dark Oak. Other available colors are much lighter.

2 coats of Door & Window (or Cetol 23) Dark Oak over existing Cetol 1 will darken/deepen the color significantly. Also, I think it is ok to add colorant to Sikkens products to achieve a darker color if desired (I'd tint the first coat only).
That's a good idea with tinting the first coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #4

Default How Much Tint

How much tint will be needed for a 1QT can? To get this expresso?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldn't tint the any of the Sikkens finishes. The colorants can cloud the finish and make It more solid looking. So not a good idea. If anything, intermix colors. Either dark oak and mahogany Door & Window, or Cetol 1. The Cetol 1 is more pigmented, so maybe another coat of cetol 1 followed by a coat of 23 plus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 AM   #6

View jimsonburg's Photo Album My Photos

Exterior mahogany doors make the outside of your house look more inviting. Exterior mahogany doors make the outside of your house look better taken care of. Exterior mahogany doors make the overall presentation of your home look more elegant.
jimsonburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Where are the Mods?????????????????????????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

What aaron I thought it was poetic.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
I wouldn't tint the any of the Sikkens finishes. The colorants can cloud the finish and make It more solid looking. So not a good idea. If anything, intermix colors. Either dark oak and mahogany Door & Window, or Cetol 1. The Cetol 1 is more pigmented, so maybe another coat of cetol 1 followed by a coat of 23 plus.

I'm new to Sikkens. Should you sand between coats? Application data calls for 80-120 grit before applying first coat. Looks like no further sanding is nessesary if you prep the door right.

Does that provide the best finish?

Also to get to a Expresso finish. Lets say we repaint using the Cetol 1 again. What formula will you use?

Objective is to show wood grain in a dark finish using Sikkens.

Thanks

Last edited by Vipervgts; 08-24-2010 at 10:06 PM..
Old 09-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #10

I ended up going with old masters Gel Stain. Beautiful color. The gel stain looks great. What are my option to finish this off? I'm using Marine spar varnish satin finish. I,m not liking the finish.

What's other option do i have? No shean more then satin.

These door are drivin me nuts. Please help need UV protection
Old 09-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
I'll paint you silly.

Rewards Points: 75
View Ranger72's Photo Album My Photos

I have not tried it yet, but Minwax has exterior waterbased spar urethane. I have always been pleased with minwax products.

Tags
None