Family & Friends - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Paint Nerd

Rewards Points: 250
View michfan's Photo Album My Photos
Default Family & Friends

I know this can be a touchy subject - painting for family and friends. Where do you draw the line between helping them out with a project and just plain doing the whole project for pay? To me, it is almost like painting for people from your church. The more I do it, the less I like it. I know that sounds bad, but I have my reasons!

I'm all for lending a helping hand, a discounted rate, etc., etc., but in all honesty it becomes grinding after a while.

What say ye?
michfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

I prefer to just give them free materials from my stock pile. Either that or I am going to want to get in there and spray everything. If they want me to treat it as a real job i want to get paid.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I'll give a few pointers, make sure they are not making an big mistakes, and let them use any product I have kicking around as well. That's as far as my freebies go. If I spent time there working past that I will be charging for it like any other job. ( Though I DO have a family and friends discount, but that's up to the individual contractor of course, there are many reasons not to do this, but I do it anyways )
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I'm sorry, but my pickup just broke down and I can't make it over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnpaint For This Useful Post:
michfan (02-15-2010)
Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

We don't have a lot of family, so it isn't too bad. Rob has always done all the painting for his Dad for free, Dad buys material, food and beer! Since he has been in Idaho he has taped, textured and painted his Dad's one car garage and his Uncles 900 square garage, 5 accent walls and a lot of touch up!

He uses it to practice new techniques or materials.
As far as friends, we may give a discount on price, but they have to stay out of the way!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
I'm sorry, but my pickup just broke down and I can't make it over.
For family I help out when I can for the small stuff, and in return there's always a fridge full of beer when I visit.

For friends I lend them my fan deck and call in their order. They pick up their own paint at my discount and they do it themselves. I might offer a tip or two to make their life easier, but I don't paint for them.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

I try to work for people who can afford my services. I always learned if you give work away, you will be taken advantage of and not appreciated. I think I learned that from my parents - - who were always willing to pay me fairly for top quality work.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #8

View WAGGZ's Photo Album My Photos

I don't mind working for people from my church I treat them as any other customer. But do some stuff at the church for free. I don't cut friends big discounts but if they have something or offer a service I need or want there can be a barter.

But family, is a different story. If I work for my parents or grands, I just tell them what the materials were and they throw in some extra. But my in-laws think I should do it everything for half price. My thoughts on that are how is that any different from me wanting to charge double.

Every friend just as every family member is different and gets handled different.

I think of a fair price as one that puts my kids through private school and offers value to the homeowner... -Pressure Pros
WAGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 136
Thanked 8,640 Times in 4,032 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

My mother and step-mother I'll do small projects for free, larger projects they pay for. Siblings pay also, but at my family rate. It's worked out real well this way for years.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

I have had friends ask me for work.. i give them my price, some hire me some don't

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
A PAINTER PAINTING

Rewards Points: 150
View Burt White's Photo Album My Photos

I don't like to help friends becouse thay cant paint as well as I can and it bugs me every time I see thair crappy cut line or thay whant to use tape or somthing, I just kick them out of the room and do it for them for like 20 or 50 bucks, some pizzas and drinks or maby thay pay my way 4 the poker game or something, if its a big job I just charge them 100 a room and drinks.
Burt White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Paint Nerd

Rewards Points: 250
View michfan's Photo Album My Photos

Yea small projects I don't mind at all. Heck, I'll even slap out some bedroom walls or something for family. But, I'm talking like full kitchen redos including cabinets, complete large deck refinishing, and in fact we even had one that wanted help with remodeling his whole complete house!!!

That is what is annoying. Its like they think that this trade is easy and they have no concept of what kind of time and money (even lowballer money ) it takes to do these large projects. I think I'm done. I try to be nice and give large discounts and it seems like some are still ungrateful for that.

Working for family and friends is worse than working for a pain in the you know what regular customer!

Hope that doesn't come across too bad. I don't hate family and friends, its just that the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Last edited by michfan; 02-16-2010 at 10:44 PM..
michfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #13
A PAINTER PAINTING

Rewards Points: 150
View Burt White's Photo Album My Photos

YUP
Burt White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75
View Dannyj's Photo Album My Photos

I'll work for free for close family members, they pay for materials, but thats about it. Guess i'm lucky that my family are really decent people, i offer to work for free but when they hand me a check for the materials there is normally a bit extra added on. I have seen people taken advantage of and honestly what kinda of d**k does that, i.e. my old boss sprayed his cousin's new build house, approx 4000sq ft, and it took other family members having a word for this guy to hand something over, and even then it was a couple of bottles of wine, jeez!
Dannyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 266
View tntpainting's Photo Album My Photos

if your cousin was a cpa would he do your taxes for free i think not , i cut family members a break and discount the labor pretty good and it usauly brings referals my way from their freinds but the only person ill paint for free for is my mom or the inlaws thats it.
tntpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
I try to work for people who can afford my services. I always learned if you give work away, you will be taken advantage of and not appreciated. I think I learned that from my parents - - who were always willing to pay me fairly for top quality work.
I'm closest to this camp. I used to do favours, but found I was blowing a weekend here, a few evenings there....helping someone out.

I guess there comes a time when you are self-employeed that you realize that every moment you spend doing something related to painting is time you should be being paid. Its not greedy - its self preservation.

Now, I flat out ask, "You want to hire me, or want my help." I'll work along side a family member or friend 'I cut - they roll' because doing a project is a good way to build a relationship with a family member/friend and I enjoy teaching, but I no longer 'do solo painting favours' for beer and food.

There are a few family members who are tradespersons and we do some exchanges, but even with that I'm very careful to take note of hours invested. In fact I make a point of writing it down and telling them,"hey, I owe you 4 hours." They always say, "don't worry about it", but I think it makes everyone a bit more comfortable knowing exactly where we stand with each other.

Its how I roll....I don't like grey areas or leaving anything to interpretation.
Paint and Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #17

View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by michfan View Post
Yea small projects I don't mind at all. Heck, I'll even slap out some bedroom walls or something for family. But, I'm talking like full kitchen redos including cabinets, complete large deck refinishing, and in fact we even had one that wanted help with remodeling his whole complete house!!!

Small projects for parents, inlaws, sister=no problem. They usually help out as much as they can, buy beer/food and bring friends to help so it can be fun. usually one day jobs with a group of people doing basic painting. Friends can be the same as long as the project is small. Large projects like described above that take a lot of time and skill get charged a fair rate whoever it is. Time is money. I don't ask my cousin to insulate my house on the weekend......

I think I'm done. I try to be nice and give large discounts and it seems like some are still ungrateful for that.

You are to nice man. It is your business and you are supporting your family. If they don't get that and don't appreciate it, than give them a price that your happy with for doing the job. I do this regardless. Especially in summer when we have a small window for making as much money as possible. I am usually a little more giving of time during the slower winter months.

painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to painttofish For This Useful Post:
michfan (02-18-2010)

Tags
None