Faster and Cheaper - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Faster and Cheaper

I've just been doing some reading on the threads and there seems to be a common theme popping up here and there - the idea of how to paint doors faster, cut lines faster, figure out how to be faster and cheaper than the lowballers that are circling the drain of this economy.

Thats not the goal. It doesn't matter if you can paint a door in three minutes or 30 minutes. What matters is what you are selling for quality and who you are selling it to. As many have said in this and other formats, if you adjust your strategies based on the competition, you may limit yourself to only being as successful as the competition, which in most cases is not very successful.

Someone may be screaming from the rooftops about painting faster and making more money while charging less, and it certainly makes for some lively debate. Usually, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Focus on making your business better. Assess where its at now and where you want it to be. Nothing else really matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vermontpainter For This Useful Post:
epretot (04-07-2014), journeymanPainter (04-07-2014), MSJ Painting (04-07-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

That's what I'm talking about!!!! Well said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
I've just been doing some reading on the threads and there seems to be a common theme popping up here and there - the idea of how to paint doors faster, cut lines faster, figure out how to be faster and cheaper than the lowballers that are circling the drain of this economy.

Thats not the goal. It doesn't matter if you can paint a door in three minutes or 30 minutes. What matters is what you are selling for quality and who you are selling it to. As many have said in this and other formats, if you adjust your strategies based on the competition, you may limit yourself to only being as successful as the competition, which in most cases is not very successful.

Someone may be screaming from the rooftops about painting faster and making more money while charging less, and it certainly makes for some lively debate. Usually, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Focus on making your business better. Assess where its at now and where you want it to be. Nothing else really matters.
"Focus on making your business better".

That’s some disclaimer you just put on yourself. So what if your competition can do it just as nice as you in a 1/3 of the time? What a huge selling point even at the same price. I recall landing many jobs because we could get the job done a week early vs. the other bid, people will pay more for that convenience. Hey, it sells! Doesn’t mean the work is less quality.
Not your goal? That is EXACTLY my goal. My goal is to paint 10 doors in 30 mins while my competition does one in 30 minutes, you take a 30 minute lunch and I got 20 doors done before you pick up your brush again. You keep doing what you are doing and not keep up with the competition, which benefits people like me more than you realize, apparently.
jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #4

View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pauhl View Post

Thatís some disclaimer you just put on yourself. So what if your competition can do it just as nice as you in a 1/3 of the time? What a huge selling point even at the same price. I recall landing many jobs because we could get the job done a week early vs. the other bid, people will pay more for that convenience. Hey, it sells! Doesnít mean the work is less quality.
Not your goal? That is EXACTLY my goal. My goal is to paint 10 doors in 30 mins while my competition does one in 30 minutes, you take a 30 minute lunch and I got 20 doors done before you pick up your brush again. You keep doing what you are doing and not keep up with the competition, which benefits people like me more than you realize, apparently.
Dude, you need to take the long walk of no return.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:

Thatís some disclaimer you just put on yourself. So what if your competition can do it just as nice as you in a 1/3 of the time?
Jack

You are too much. Got any snakeoil?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:

My goal is to paint 10 doors in 30 mins while my competition does one in 30 minutes, you take a 30 minute lunch and I got 20 doors done before you pick up your brush again. You keep doing what you are doing and not keep up with the competition, which benefits people like me more than you realize, apparently.
You must be Lightning McQueen. Maybe in the market segment you operate in speed is the goal. If you keep getting faster, you will be painting 20 doors in no time - literally! Seriously, I am happy for you.

I should caution you that it will get old on painttalk if you are constantly trying to sell "intellectual property" to members. I noticed on your blog that you are a systems management consultant. If anyone is interested in consulting you, I am sure you have made enough of a splash at this point that you will be the first name that pops into their heads.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
My goal is to paint 10 doors in 30 mins while my competition does one in 30 minutes, you take a 30 minute lunch and I got 20 doors done before you pick up your brush again.
You sound like a production painter. I have had many painters like yourself and have let many go and have retrained the ones that were willing to change. We had a name for painters like this. We called them dirty painters.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
"Member"

Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
We called them dirty painters.

I call them unemployed.

The reason why these guys try to pump out as much work as possible in as little time is because they are not charging correctly. They are rushing the job and in their eyes they are doing great work. Marketing to them is a foriegn language because they are always booked ....closing rates close to 100%. Their company is probably a skeleton.

The painting technique on that door was terrible. A video of cutting red over a red wall without even coming close to the cut edge of the base was embarassing to watch.

Jack has a nice little blog for his corner of the world. Big fish in a little pond.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing
We called them dirty painters.
Nice.

Dad always said... 3 kinds of painters;
Racers, Pacers, and Slugs

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Nice.

Dad always said... 3 kinds of painters;
Racers, Pacers, and Slugs

I thought we were all just simple slugs
It's a term of endearment where I come from

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #11
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

jack pauhl =
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

Cookie cutters require systems. You can make decent money on them if you jam em out quick. Paul has developed systems to make these work for him. Thats some good stuff.

Pauls goals might be different than others. The goals on 9,000 sq ft luxury homes are different than 3000 sq ft cookie cutters.
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post

I agree, we are selling more than just paint, we are selling a service. What can we do to provide that service at the highest level? Even if you are doing a "cookie cutter" or a mansion, how you present yourself (your company) to a customer as a professional is important. Customer Satisfaction builds a strong business.
As far as painting "quicker" you can develop procedures that allow you to work efficiently, but I would not set speed as a goal.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Thatís some disclaimer you just put on yourself. So what if your competition can do it just as nice as you in a 1/3 of the time? What a huge selling point even at the same price. I recall landing many jobs because we could get the job done a week early vs. the other bid, people will pay more for that convenience. Hey, it sells! Doesnít mean the work is less quality.
Blah! Blah! Blah!
Bully for you old son!
Now wind your neck in a bit

mistcoat(UK)

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistcoat View Post
Blah! Blah! Blah!
Bully for you old son!
Now wind your neck in a bit

mistcoat(UK)
dido
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 10
View Gnarlywood's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

This is my first post here, and I don't wish to raise feathers, but I'd say to many posters to relax.

Jack has a point....yes, we CAN make more $ if we can turn out more product per hour...

IF we can maintain quality. Otherwise your reputation & integrity take a dive.

I can SPRAY 10 doors in 30 minutes, but no way can I BRUSH that much.

It is true that there ARE customers who want the work done FAST, no matter the quality. There ARE customers who CANNOT RECOGNIZE QUALITY! There ARE customers who DO NOT CARE ABOUT QUALITY!

I don't care to work for those customers, but I WILL if I don't have other work to schedule. It aint illegal, but can be unsatisying.

I DO continually attempt to become more EFFICIENT, either thru method, tools or materials. My goal is excellent quality and a fair price - fair to ME as well as the customer.

TO each their own.

Keep up the good work,
Gnarlywood
Gnarlywood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnarlywood For This Useful Post:
Slopmeyer (04-07-2014)
Old 05-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

I am a painting contractor. We will do pretty much anything but industrial. Once the customer & I have established what they want & the quality level I don't care who they are if they are willing to pay the price I am proposing. Don't be a paint nazi! I hear it time & time again in the way certain people post as if there is only one way to paint no matter what the project. One man's an artist another is the fastes painter around. It's all about balance...you need to know what to do when. I am not going to paint an apartment the same way I paint a 6 bedroom 6 bath house with 13 different colors. By the way, if there is anyone here who can prep & paint more than 3- 6 panel doors by hand in an hour & keep that pace for an 8 hour day I would be more than impressed as a matter of fact I'll quit painting right now. Honesty & humility are very impresive characteristics to carry with you on a daily basis.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #18

I could do it.
But I average 20 per day.

And I don't want you to quit painting

Old 05-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I could do it.
But I average 20 per day.

And I don't want you to quit painting
My hat is off to you...If you can do that,sand, wipe down, touch up caulk, on an occupied residential repaint day in & day out & that's what you base your pricing on I could never compete... I am truly not worthy

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #20

well... day in and day out might be pushing it a lil

And you CANT compete with me because I don't know what I'm doing

Tags
None