Fence staining issue - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View cooper's Photo Album My Photos
Default Fence staining issue

Hey, I'm not a professional painter, but I am a professional drywaller and didn't want to ask a bunch of DIYers this question so hopefully someone here can help me out.

I just stained my fence, about 100 feet of fence. It is supposed to match my back 80' of fence installed by the subdivision.... Well I got the right color, double checked. Forgot to get semi-solid and instead got the semi-transparent... Can I now get the semi-solid and just spray right over the top of the semi-transparent and have it match? Or is it going to turn out dark since it has so much stain on it?

Thanks for the help.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Can I now get the semi-solid and just spray right over the top of the semi-transparent and have it match? .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

I am assuming your working with Cabot's. I could be wrong but I believe that the semi-solid is a penetrating stain so the semi-transparent would have to be removed/stripped first. You could put a solid on it that would match without a problem but then you would have a solid

Maybe Ken might chime in here
Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #4

The brand I am using is Superdeck.

I sure hope I can just go over the top of it. Would it matter how heavy the transparent stain was put on? ...

Because if I did a semi-solid over it right now it would basically be two coats transparent, one coat semi-solid.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
The brand I am using is Superdeck.

I sure hope I can just go over the top of it. Would it matter how heavy the transparent stain was put on? ...

Because if I did a semi-solid over it right now it would basically be two coats transparent, one coat semi-solid.

Well, you put a sealer on it to "seal" the wood. Putting a penetrating stain on top that is designed to pentrate the wood after it has been sealed I think is going to give you problems. Again, I could be wrong but I think what you have is your best choice. Or should I say easiest. I am also assuming this is an oil based stain?
Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #6

It says 'Three oil system with tung oil' on the can. So I would assume that would mean it is oil based... but... I'm also the guy who stained his fence with the wrong stain.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
Painter/Owner

Rewards Points: 250
View Housepainter's Photo Album My Photos

Try a sample area on one or two boards and see what happens. Do not know if a de-glosser would do the trick if you cannon get the solid to match up.

Last edited by Housepainter; 05-04-2008 at 12:38 AM..
Housepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150
View YubaPaintPro's Photo Album My Photos

Just live w/ it!!!! If the side you have is "sun facing" most of the time, Superdeck will likely be gone in just over a year, and you can clean and brighten then w/ a premium product like TWP or Cabot.

Superdeck is not a very good product. The 3 oil system they use is just doesn't compare to TWP or Cabot.

Stay w/ it for now. Applying more material is not the key as it is now going to do its job of not absorbing liquids. Including itself.

http://www.superdeck.com/msds-pdg/PDG1900-250voc.pdf
YubaPaintPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None