Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Festools live up to the hype?

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  ridesarize 
#1 ·
It’s about that time I hop on the festool bandwagon. I’m ready to make the leap. Since it is a relatively large purchase I just want to get some honest reviews from you guys. Asking real professional painters not just salesmen or google reviews is the best way to get honest answers. In the past I’ve bought “dustless” sanders and quite honestly they were not dustless! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Is festool truly dustless sanding?
Best attachments for baseboard, doors, cabinets, trim?
Is the cost worth it?
Any other feedback would be great

#2 ·
It’s about that time I hop on the festool bandwagon. I’m ready to make the leap. Since it is a relatively large purchase I just want to get some honest reviews from you guys. Asking real professional painters not just salesmen or google reviews is the best way to get honest answers. In the past I’ve bought “dustless” sanders and quite honestly they were not dustless! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Is festool truly dustless sanding?
Best attachments for baseboard, doors, cabinets, trim?
Is the cost worth it?
Any other feedback would be great

Great tools but lots of (nicely) molded plastic.

#8 ·
For me, Festool sanders are absolutely worth it. Beyond the dust collection, the vibration dampening of their sanders is a huge selling point for me. Typical 5” orbitals you’d find at HD make my hands feel numb after using them for a very short period of time, but it takes at least 5x longer if at all before my hands start to feel numb from using Festool sanders

If I were in the OP’s shoes I recommend the ETS EC 150/5 and RTS400 REQ sanders paired with a Midi vacuum. These are my favorite and most used sanders in my Festool collection. For trim and cabinet packs I couldn’t imagine not having my RTS400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Festool rocks. I buy new and used Festool. Used festools are usually fine if you are familiar with them and/or can see the tool is barely used.

I have 6 of their sanders now.

Sander choice is determined greatly by each individual job or task requiring sanding.

For some trim packs or projects you want an orbital, for some you just want a palm sander style like the dts or rts.
Fine finish orbital - ETS125
Medium aggression stroke ets 125/3 5" pad
Heavier aggression RO125 or RO150FEQ 6" monster

#17 ·
Festool rocks. I have tons of their tools. The make MOST things with high quality.

I will say the router table just SUCKS. One of the bigger investments and it was a disaster.

But the dust collection is great on their tools, strong motors, and the track saw I've put through the test for sure and that sucker hauls strong still. Actually looking into selling some EQ and buying their chop saw because it looks like it rocks. :)

I vote Festool.

#19 ·
In my opinion Festool really shines in repaint and restoration work. Depending on your process/level of finish Festool might not be as beneficial for high production NC or commercial crews.

At the end of the day it’s all about purchasing equipment that allows you to do your job faster or achieve a higher quality level.

There are other options such as Mirka and Bosch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I agree but also would add that Festool is HIGHLY beneficial for production jobs... super, greatly, effective at getting me through new construction (custom spec) millpacks even though they have to be done fast. Boss and I filled all the holes in a 2 story millpack, 2100 sq feet, (4 bedroom).

Next trip back, with the DTS400 EQ, I single handedly sanded all filler on flats and sponge sanded corners of jambs in about 6 -7 man hours. Used one sander only with 180 grit granat.
Filler was 80% crawfords spackle , 20% Elmers wood filler.

If I sanded by hand I'd be at it for days. If I didn't have the dts400 I'd be using an old orbital which won't get into corners.

An acquaintance of mine thinks Festool is only for hugh end sanding... no no no my friend, it's for any job (where applicable).

#20 ·
I've only got a couple sanders and the midi, but they paid for themselves quickly. They leave so little dust behind that it makes working in occupied homes much easier and gets you putting product down much more quickly on decks or doorways where you've done a full strip. You have to invest in a range of papers for each tool, especially if you don't have a brick and mortar retailer nearby, but it's not like they go bad between jobs. I'm thinking about the track saw, but I'll definitely buy a couple more sanders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.