Fijian competitor leaves for Australia on Monday - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
P&D Trainer & Assessor

Rewards Points: 510
View pacificpainters.com's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to pacificpainters.com
Default Fijian competitor leaves for Australia on Monday

Well after a lot of work, blood sweat and plenty of tears we have finally come to a point of reckoning. I am leaving on Monday with my son (my second generation painter) and the Fijian competitor Ana a female painter to compete in Australia against the Aussie painters.

This is the Brisbane QLD regional competition but I will be in the ear of the World skills committee to have our own regional category here in the pacific soon for a chance of sending one of our students to Australia for the nationals.

You never know, one day we may have a Pacific Islander competing internationally representing Australia.

Have any of the members been involved in World Skills?
http://www.worldskills.org/

Here is a link to the painting & decorating category - http://www.worldskills.org/index.php...277&Itemid=429

You may have already seen this as I have posted it before, but here is a video I made on how we selected our competitor -
pacificpainters.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacificpainters.com For This Useful Post:
Bender (07-08-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,548
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,783 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos

how much money if you win ??? and what are the age groups?? .........i see this as kids program for havin fun and maybe learning new skills......thats pretty cool but if there is money on the line let me know an ill come represent myself lol

Last edited by Ole34; 07-08-2011 at 10:02 PM..
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
P&D Trainer & Assessor

Sorry Ole34, no money and yes it is a youth competition for 21 and under. Not for learning new skills though, we expect the competitors to be apprentices or qualified painters and decorators.

Maybe you could send your apprentice? I am not sure how much of a following Worldskills has in the US. Probably like Australia it is just not promoted much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #4

i have nothing but respect for you, passing on knowledge is 2nd to none in my book i just wish i was more ugh ?? able to communicate like that ? lol im horrible at teaching.....well i can teach just not nicely lol so cheers to you!! ..............hope your student kicks ass!!! .................................maybe your girl knows this already but just make sure her breathing is under control and keep the off hand steady for balance when doing those sharp cuts !!...sometime i keep my hand down an off to the side or behind my back .... all depends though but the main thing is use it for BALANCE .........breathing an body posistion are critical.....the brush will cut the line for you

Last edited by Ole34; 07-08-2011 at 10:44 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
P&D Trainer & Assessor

Seems to me Ole you are a great teacher, excellent advice. I will show Ana your reply and I will also show it to the students when I am teaching them cutting work with a brush.

It is the reason why I join this forum to have people like your self, tradespeople who take pride in the trade make comments that my students will see. Just about every day I show my students post from Paint talk as a way of giving them a bigger picture.

My students have really appreciated the comments made by members of this site. Even the funny comments are a great way of showing the students that you don't have to take your self too seriously to be professional.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #6

check out my youtube page ...........i have a few videos up there

http://youtu.be/5JRs7LuCEUk

....currnetly im doing all the OG trim boxes and base/chair rail in a nursing facility .........all 2.5'' flat ....NO TAPE .........this larger section here in the pic was finished in 15 mins to perfection ...NO drips...NO runs NO splatter.....if i can ill put together a video this comming monday detailing the painting of a set of this very trim.........no touch up paint for the walls cause it was last painted over 20 yrs ago so every cut line with the brown had to be spot on!!.......there is no ''fixing it'' later

heres what i did all before lunch ...............thats a long hallway with some parts you cant even see .......and yes, i painted around the patients lol ........

Last edited by Ole34; 07-09-2011 at 09:27 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ole34 For This Useful Post:
pacificpainters.com (07-08-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,524
Thanked 9,578 Times in 5,438 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Excellent work Ole!. Thanks for sharing the Pics
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Ole34 (07-09-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
P&D Trainer & Assessor

True, great work Ole. I will show the students these photos when I get back.
The Following User Says Thank You to pacificpainters.com For This Useful Post:
Ole34 (07-09-2011)

Tags
None