Finally... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree12Likes

Old 09-04-2018, 02:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos
Default Finally...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sh...int-2018-09-02

Now if they recover any money, please let it be dispersed in grants to elderly and middle class. Low income is helped by the gov already. They need to take responsibility.They knew it was toxic.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 6,268
Thanked 15,463 Times in 8,125 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Back to 1904? Sheesh, likely every manufacturing company anywhere could be held liable for something similar if they went back that far. Maybe we should all sue the federal government for waiting until 1978 before making lead additives illegal.
chrisn and pablo like this.

Bill Watterson

Last edited by RH; 09-04-2018 at 12:19 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Cusingeorge (09-04-2018), pablo (09-05-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 318
View Local paint pro's Photo Album My Photos

I don’t want my paint prices going up!
Local paint pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local paint pro View Post
I don’t want my paint prices going up!

Why not? Is not the customer paying for the paint??
Wildbill7145 likes this.
Wolfgang (09-07-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Why not? Is not the customer paying for the paint??

Yah, until inflation and prices get so high they...can't.

Kick the can down the road only works for so long.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 318
View Local paint pro's Photo Album My Photos

In that case I think I will sue Coca Cola for getting me addicted to booger sugar like 4 generations up the line!! Lol
Local paint pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Back to 1904? Sheesh, likely every manufacturing company anywhere could be held liable for something similar if they went back that far. Maybe we should all sue the federal government for waiting until 1978 before making lead additives illegal.
Exactly my point. The powers that be knew that is was toxic. But made their $$ anyway....now the poorest, midde classed and the elderly, many of which who struggle to just pay their property taxes on homes they've lived in for 50 plus years, can now pay for the clean up. Its just WRONG. I think the govt should subsidize it. So should manufacturers.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,340
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I would love to see every one of those companies get justice for knowingly poisoning people. especially Bayer+ Monsanto.
Brushman4 and lilpaintchic like this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (09-07-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,648
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

I can tell everyone here that as of 1998 we used a product on Amoco stations in the Chicago area manufactured by Valspar in Rockford, IL.
It was labeled Amoco Gloss Alkyd for Industrial use only, contains lead!

Also many if not all traffic whites and yellows, all contained lead, and I believe many still do.
Fman likes this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:00 AM   #10
RH

Rewards Points: 6,268
Thanked 15,463 Times in 8,125 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I have a buddy that works for the county and he said the paint they use for bridges still contains lead. Course they have to take precautions out the wazoo when applying it to avoid contaminating the rivers - or so he says.
Brushman4 likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,724
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
I can tell everyone here that as of 1998 we used a product on Amoco stations in the Chicago area manufactured by Valspar in Rockford, IL.

Also many if not all traffic whites and yellows, all contained lead, and I believe many still do.
I recall coming across some traffic white we had on the job LABELED as having lead. This was @ '93 and it wasn't that old. How nice to learn that the new product I replaced it with was likely also leaded, just not labeled as such!
Brushman4 likes this.
Fman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fman For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post

There are many that still do I'm sure. Not architectural to be certain, but industrial....wouldn't surprise me at all. The lead is a fabulous protector. And lasts forever. But its toxic....I dunno. I just feel sorry for folks who need new paint the most but just can't afford to do the prep properly and legally....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (09-07-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Perhaps we all have been lead astray.You think?
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mudbone For This Useful Post:
Wildbill7145 (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 01:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
Perhaps we all have been lead astray.You think?
Yer punny!!lol

Old 09-09-2018, 01:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
There are many that still do I'm sure. Not architectural to be certain, but industrial....wouldn't surprise me at all. The lead is a fabulous protector. And lasts forever. But its toxic....I dunno. I just feel sorry for folks who need new paint the most but just can't afford to do the prep properly and legally....

LPC, I'm not saying lead isn't one of the best components in an exterior coating. But as you've stated it is toxic!
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushman4 For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 01:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
I have a buddy that works for the county and he said the paint they use for bridges still contains lead. Course they have to take precautions out the wazoo when applying it to avoid contaminating the rivers - or so he says.
We all know they are supposedly required to protect the surrounding air and water when painting bridges. But I'm sure the average bridge in this country most likely gets painted every 25 years or so if that often. Who is monitoring the leaching of lead into the air and water, in the interim?
Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 358
View Romanski's Photo Album My Photos

It's the same thing with leaded gasoline. The government "scientists" knew it was bad, and they continued to use it for decades. Lied under oath and endangered countless millions of lives, who knows how many died to it. Kids + Lead = not good.

Just another California cash grab (oops, this isn't a political website).
PACman likes this.
Romanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 592
View Eagle Cap Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanski View Post
It's the same thing with leaded gasoline. The government "scientists" knew it was bad, and they continued to use it for decades. Lied under oath and endangered countless millions of lives, who knows how many died to it. Kids + Lead = not good.

Just another California cash grab (oops, this isn't a political website).
You say government, but I think you mean petroleum industry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Kehoe
Eagle Cap Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

every paint made in the world prior to the late 40's had lead in it. And most paints up until the 70's did. So why pick on just SW if it isn't extortion? And the lead put in the environment by coatings has never been more than 7-8% of the total while automotive production and the petroleum industry accounted for more than 80% of the total. And we were breathing that **** 24/7/365 for 80 years at least! It's a cash grab and it always has been, and it is completely unfair to target SW. There are thousand's of companies who have and are more responsible than SW. Monsanto, BASF, Dupont....the list is yuge! But you don't see and of them being attacked for something they did over 100 years ago.

And a little history lesson, a guy named Charles Kettering, from right here in North Central Ohio did extensive laboratory testing in the early twenty's to find a less dangerous knock additive for gasoline. He found several alcohol based additives that were much, much safer and more effective than lead. He literally begged the federal government to force the automotive and petroleum industries to change to one of them, but the combined lobbying force of those two industries accounted for a huge amount of influence in Washington so Kettering was pretty much shut down. Rumor is he was threatened and then given a big payoff to shut up and quit his research. He used that money to fund a company called Delco. In fact you will more than likely never read ANY of this in a history book or inline, as it is STILL considered a taboo to speak of it in certain circles. A lot of the knowledge i have actually was told to me by my great aunt who was a very close friend of his wife.

Oh i forgot the reason why they so strongly opposed the change! .03 cents a gallon. It would cost them three cents a gallon to change and the automotive companies would have to start using much more hardened valves and valve seats to switch, which at the time would have cost less than $3 for the typical 4 cylinder automobile. So they finally made the switch 60 years after this. Sue them too!

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited by PACman; 09-18-2018 at 11:57 AM..
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 592
View Eagle Cap Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
And a little history lesson, a guy named Charles Kettering, from right here in North Central Ohio did extensive laboratory testing in the early twenty's to find a less dangerous knock additive for gasoline. He found several alcohol based additives that were much, much safer and more effective than lead. He literally begged the federal government to force the automotive and petroleum industries to change to one of them, but the combined lobbying force of those two industries accounted for a huge amount of influence in Washington so Kettering was pretty much shut down. Rumor is he was threatened and then given a big payoff to shut up and quit his research. He used that money to fund a company called Delco. In fact you will more than likely never read ANY of this in a history book or inline, as it is STILL considered a taboo to speak of it in certain circles. A lot of the knowledge i have actually was told to me by my great aunt who was a very close friend of his wife.
Kettering is the one who developed Tetraethyllead as a gasoline additive in the first place. His assistant did things like pour it on himself to prove it was safe and of course got such bad lead poisoning that he wound up crippled. Kettering campaigned for the first few years in favor of leaded gas, but knew about its toxicity from the start. He went looking for alternatives a few years later, but nothing performed as well and with the post-war fears about oil shortages, it stayed and the lead industry grew. And yes, this information is taught to children and available online (Kettering is even discussed in the new Cosmos television show).

Clair Patterson, on the other hand, lost funding from the chemical and motor industries when he refused to stop speaking out against TEL and spent decades fighting the lobbyists and industry-sponsored scientists (chemical engineer would be the more correct term). If you're looking for an anti-lead hero, he's your man.

Last edited by Eagle Cap Painter; 09-18-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Eagle Cap Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None