Finally bought a power washer - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree26Likes

Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 194
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos
Default Finally bought a power washer

I just bought my first power washer, a Bosch Universal Aquatak 130 /1900 PSI. I had to do it because this season it seems all the calls are for exterior work and a pressure washer seemed like an excellent addition to my kit. It is not a pro model but will no doubt work for a couple of seasons and at $249 it was pretty cheap. Now, watch, all the calls will be interior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,402
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
I just bought my first power washer, a Bosch Universal Aquatak 130 /1900 PSI. I had to do it because this season it seems all the calls are for exterior work and a pressure washer seemed like an excellent addition to my kit. It is not a pro model but will no doubt work for a couple of seasons and at $249 it was pretty cheap. Now, watch, all the calls will be interior. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.painttalk.com/images/smilies/sad.png[/IMG]
I bought a Yamaha 4000psi/4gpm to rent. Plenty of pros coming to my shop to use this guy instead of buying a mid grade model
Attached Thumbnails
Finally bought a power washer-img_20190509_152234268_1564712442834.jpg  

Gymschu likes this.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 08-01-2019 at 11:21 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 24
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Of all the things paint-related, I like power washing the least. I mean, it has its moments, but it's just so hard on my shoulders (the back and forth, up and down motions) that any fun is short-lived. I mainly offer it as part of the painting process so I don't like when someone calls me JUST to pressure wash. I tell them up front that I'm not a professional pressure washer so my "clean" may not be up to their standard of "clean." I've always wanted a high-end PW, but, since I don't do a lot of it, I can't warrant the big investment.

One thing to remember, Jennifer, is that at the end of the exterior season, when you're done with your PW, make sure you drain all the water out of the pump and out of the hose and then store it inside. Amazing what damage is caused by just a little bit of frozen water. I've ruined a couple PW's leaving them in my unheated garage and either the pump would freeze and crack or the wand would freeze and crack.

Best of luck with your new "toy!"
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (08-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 12:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Of all the things paint-related, I like power washing the least. I mean, it has its moments, but it's just so hard on my shoulders (the back and forth, up and down motions) that any fun is short-lived. I mainly offer it as part of the painting process so I don't like when someone calls me JUST to pressure wash. I tell them up front that I'm not a professional pressure washer so my "clean" may not be up to their standard of "clean." I've always wanted a high-end PW, but, since I don't do a lot of it, I can't warrant the big investment.

One thing to remember, Jennifer, is that at the end of the exterior season, when you're done with your PW, make sure you drain all the water out of the pump and out of the hose and then store it inside. Amazing what damage is caused by just a little bit of frozen water. I've ruined a couple PW's leaving them in my unheated garage and either the pump would freeze and crack or the wand would freeze and crack.

Best of luck with your new "toy!"
I blast air and run antrifeeze through my pump after every use. maybe overkill but i know its always ready to go.
Gymschu likes this.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:39 AM   #5
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,402
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

I like watching the dirt roll off and paint chips blowing but I don't like loading and unloading the beast. Mine has a Honda 13 horse engine and can run strong all day long but I need ramps to get it into the truck. I have the heavy industrial hoses and they are heavy and of course get caught on nothing.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,300
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I just bought my first power washer, a Bosch Universal Aquatak 130 /1900 PSI. I had to do it because this season it seems all the calls are for exterior work and a pressure washer seemed like an excellent addition to my kit. It is not a pro model but will no doubt work for a couple of seasons and at $249 it was pretty cheap. Now, watch, all the calls will be interior.
Remember: The 0 degree tip is for signing your work.
SemiproJohn likes this.
jennifertemple (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
I like watching the dirt roll off and paint chips blowing but I don't like loading and unloading the beast. Mine has a Honda 13 horse engine and can run strong all day long but I need ramps to get it into the truck. I have the heavy industrial hoses and they are heavy and of course get caught on nothing.
Well, that certainly makes me glad I did not get a heavy duty machine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
Old 08-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #8

4000 PSI! Won't that tear wood pretty badly?

I worked in a place that had water blasters that did 20K PSI, the guys using the guns had a wall to put their backs against. They were used to blast iron grates in a car plant. A new guy decided to "clean" his steel toed boots and blasted through the steel and pumped his leg full of water. He was sent by ambulance to the hospital. (Deeply in shock)
Gymschu and Fman like this.

Last edited by jennifertemple; 08-02-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Old 08-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 110
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
4000PSI! Won't that tear the wood pretty badly?
Gotta move quick and be careful, but no! To paraphrase the the Forged in Fire guy...."it will clean"!

And just as important as the 4000psi is the 4 gpm!
Fman likes this.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,300
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I worked in a place that had water blasters that did 20K PSI, the guys using the guns had a wall to put their backs against. They were used to blast iron grates in a car plant. A new guy decided to "clean" his steel toed boots and blasted through the steel and pumped his leg full of water. He was sent by ambulance to the hospital. (Deeply in shock)
It's all about the tip. 3000 can give an injection wound- and kill- but you almost have to try. 20,000 in the hands of a rookie is just insane. I've regularly used 3000 psi over the years and it's pretty safe as long as you use common sense. I did actually write my name in a chunk of wood (in cursive!) with 3000 and a O degree tip. Currently I have a 2400 psi that's great for decks and washing single-story houses. For the work you have in mind, you'll likely be fine with 1900. You can always rent bigger if need be!
Lightningboy65 likes this.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Well, that certainly makes me glad I did not get a heavy duty machine!
I don't know if they make a turbo tip for a unit like yours, but if they do, get one of those. It will considerably increase your cleaning power, and they are ideal for general cleaning.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 38
Thanked 4,705 Times in 3,173 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

There's a reason why powerwashers use a long "wand" as opposed to just a gun like an airless you know.
cocomonkeynuts likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #13

Quote:

To put in perspective why to get a bigger model:

1) CAT Pump has adjustable pressure if you want.
2) Engine has automatic idle down when not spraying and a bigger gas tank

3) Comes with 50ft hose
4) pressure at the end of the spray is regulated by the pump psi, gpm and tip size. Instead of a 15degree tip you can use a 25 degree tip and be several feet away. Alternatively use a 15 Degree tip and reach the second story
Old 08-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #14

I checked, they do...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvb...ube.com/watch?
Fman likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lightningboy65 For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #15
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,402
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

One of the reasons I got a bigger machine was that it would run a turbo tip. It had to be 3500 psi or better for what I wanted. Used it a couple of times but boy can you do some damage quick with a turbo tip. Only used it on concrete.
Lightningboy65 likes this.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 38
Thanked 4,705 Times in 3,173 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Funny story. Couple of years ago at the True value store i worked at the owner gathered up a bunch of employees to chop up a huge mass of thick ice that had accumulated in the parking lot and throw it in the creek that ran next to it. I asked him why he didn't just use the powerwasher with the 0 tip and he looked at me like i was crazy! I told him that if i could do all that work in half the time of all his employees would he acknowledge that i knew something he didn't. (no small feet with this guy!). He agreed and i hooked up the powerwasher and had all that ice cut up and in the creek in 15 minutes. He never acknowledged anything but i knew that he knew, and i knew that he was an ass. Win in my book.
Gymschu likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
One of the reasons I got a bigger machine was that it would run a turbo tip. It had to be 3500 psi or better for what I wanted. Used it a couple of times but boy can you do some damage quick with a turbo tip. Only used it on concrete.
We used them just about all the time on everything but wood on 4000 psi machines. Care is definitely the watch word, but boy do they work great.

I think it would be a great addition to a lower psi machine (even on wood).
Old 08-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 24
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

One thing I bought and wished that I hadn't was the two-story telescoping wand. I thought that thing would be my salvation......it became my damnation. Thing is so heavy and unwieldy that it's virtually unusable for an old fart like me. I was dreaming of only standing on the ground to PW, but, alas, I'm still climbing ladders to do anything higher than one-story.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 5,172
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

My two criteria for buying a pressure washer: Can I lift it in my van without getting a hernia? and Will it start without f****g with a carb?

Hence my decision on my 2800 PSI with a briggs and Stratton motor that fires up first pull every single time. Thats all I need... $250 new....
jennifertemple likes this.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,442
Thanked 9,568 Times in 5,430 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I'm sure someone already mentioned that pressure washers have pressure regulators.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None