Finally tried it. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 03-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
wje

Rewards Points: 1,048
Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,228 Posts
View wje's Photo Album My Photos
Default Finally tried it.

After reading the comments of how some of you apply aura directly over Sheetrock, I finally gave it a whirl on a job consisting of 6000 sq ft of new board.

I have to say, the result is quite incredible. It looks, feels, and holds up just as well as a prime and 2 top coat system does. Did a tape test and it's fully adhered.

Very happy I gave this a try. Huge time saver. Great results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wje is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wje For This Useful Post:
CApainter (03-13-2015), Damon T (03-14-2015), DrakeB (03-14-2015), Jmayspaint (03-13-2015), jprefect (03-14-2015), luny2nz (03-14-2015), PRC (03-13-2015), slinger58 (03-13-2015), The Paint Lady (04-01-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
After reading the comments of how some of you apply aura directly over Sheetrock, I finally gave it a whirl on a job consisting of 6000 sq ft of new board.

I have to say, the result is quite incredible. It looks, feels, and holds up just as well as a prime and 2 top coat system does. Did a tape test and it's fully adhered.

Very happy I gave this a try. Huge time saver. Great results.
Thanks for giving us a report on this, Wes. You know us old graybeards are depending on you young bucks to drag us into this new way of doing things.

What sheen of Aura did you use?
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
daArch (03-13-2015), doctors11 (03-14-2015), Hines Painting (03-14-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 10:55 PM   #3
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Using Aura = making more money. Many people hear the price and don't realize the value in that price. Depending on the color there have been times when I could easily have gotten away with 1 coat of Aura over NC drywall. I have never had to apply more than 2 coats of any color Aura.
PRC (03-14-2015), The Paint Lady (04-01-2015), wje (03-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,578
Thanked 9,580 Times in 5,440 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

OK, I do not doubt for one moment that Aura covered and adhered superbly for wje and many others. However, will there be a specification for that in a Division 8 painting specification or a General painting scope 0990 anytime soon? I might be talking out of my butt, so please correct me.

Last edited by CApainter; 03-13-2015 at 11:07 PM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
Dry as Rye

Rewards Points: 340
View Csheils's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht View Post
Using Aura = making more money. Many people hear the price and don't realize the value in that price. Depending on the color there have been times when I could easily have gotten away with 1 coat of Aura over NC drywall. I have never had to apply more than 2 coats of any color Aura.
Soleil af-330 over alkyd 024, cured 3 coat plaster from 1947. corona chinex, 3/8 super dooz..not sure why it hatbanded, but it took a third whack. only time ever.
Csheils is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Csheils For This Useful Post:
Lambrecht (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
wje

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58
Thanks for giving us a report on this, Wes. You know us old graybeards are depending on you young bucks to drag us into this new way of doing things. What sheen of Aura did you use?
I used eggshell, which is why it's such a hard thing for me to believe. 2 coats of flat wouldn't be all that impressive. The true test is when you get an even light reflection off of a sheen. I'm back there tomorrow and will see if I can get some good pictures in the right light

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wje For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (03-14-2015), Hines Painting (03-14-2015), Schmidt & Co. (03-13-2015), slinger58 (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 11:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I used eggshell, which is why it's such a hard thing for me to believe. 2 coats of flat wouldn't be all that impressive. The true test is when you get an even light reflection off of a sheen. I'm back there tomorrow and will see if I can get some good pictures in the right light
You read my mind, lol.
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
wje (03-13-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #8
Dry as Rye

Rewards Points: 340
View Csheils's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Same on my project. Equally unimpressed that single time. Otherwise, it's mainly our interior go-to.

Say you had a white over white..would you use the same? If so, why/why not? Coming up on a designer type home, main area with a 40ish foot skylight recess..no kids..no pets, and other than "scrubability", I'm having a hard time justifying/deciding between RS and Aura. The space certainly warrants the best possible, but if we're recoating matte with shell, two coats..almost exact same color, why one and not the other? Thoughts?

Done previously in Regal, old formula, and sheen won't be an issue because we're doubling it..
Csheils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 800
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Wow. "Giving it a whirl" over 6000 sq ft. We need to change your handle to Mr. Big Balls.

Awesome report. Looking forward to the pics!
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 804 Paint For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
wje

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804 Paint
Wow. "Giving it a whirl" over 6000 sq ft. We need to change your handle to Mr. Big Balls. Awesome report. Looking forward to the pics!
Sorry, it's 31 rooms, we tried one to see how it would turn out. Didn't do the whole project and then "hope" lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wje For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (03-14-2015), DrakeB (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 89
View ogre's Photo Album My Photos

We tried the same system in matte finish with poor results. The walls looked very dry and the sheen was uneven. The eggshell sheen must have helped in this case.
ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #12
wje

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje
Sorry, it's 31 rooms, we tried one to see how it would turn out. Didn't do the whole project and then "hope" lol
Typo 41 rooms

The Following User Says Thank You to wje For This Useful Post:
Damon T (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 764
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csheils View Post

Say you had a white over white..would you use the same? If so, why/why not? Coming up on a designer type home, main area with a 40ish foot skylight recess..no kids..no pets, and other than "scrubability", I'm having a hard time justifying/deciding between RS and Aura. The space certainly warrants the best possible, but if we're recoating matte with shell, two coats..almost exact same color, why one and not the other? Thoughts?
As a BM retailer, I'm all about selling the right tool for the right job. I'm not sure I would sell you Aura in that hypothetical. There's some people who like Aura just for how it goes on the walls (and some who don't) and there's some customers who just want the best possible paint on their walls, so that's fine if that's the case. If you're not worried about fade (since it's white) and not worried about wearing (no kids, etc.) there's very little reason not to use RS. RS even goes a little longer ways.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
jprefect (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #14
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,599 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

I've had Aura take more than two coats on several occasions. Mainly with off-whites. Also on front doors at times.
We did a side by side test of Ext Aura and RS in the same color over similar. The Aura definitely covered better.

Thanks for the report Wje. Sounds like a big job. I'm sure your bm dealer was happy too!

What fascinates me is that Aura has been out for several years yet it continues to be BM's best quality paint. I've asked their big dogs about this without much of an answer. How is it that they've come out with several other coatings since then and yet Aura is still the best? Seems like with continued innovation and development they would have even better stuff now. Or are the resins in it still the best available? I'd love to know more. Maybe NACE will chime in?
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
straight_lines (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #15

Thanks to everyone offering info on this! Super useful and good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
We tried the same system in matte finish with poor results. The walls looked very dry and the sheen was uneven. The eggshell sheen must have helped in this case.
Matte should have been a better hide than eggshell. Did it still look uneven after curing a couple weeks? The sheen can take a bit to settle fully, especially on matte I've seen.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
I've had Aura take more than two coats on several occasions. Mainly with off-whites. Also on front doors at times.
We did a side by side test of Ext Aura and RS in the same color over similar. The Aura definitely covered better.
Regarding this, it's interesting to note that unlike most paint and tint systems, Benjamin Moore mixed with Gennex tints hides better with darker colors than with lighter colors- the opposite of every other tint system in the world afaik. So if you're real worried about hide, a slightly darker color can help a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
What fascinates me is that Aura has been out for several years yet it continues to be BM's best quality paint. I've asked their big dogs about this without much of an answer. How is it that they've come out with several other coatings since then and yet Aura is still the best? Seems like with continued innovation and development they would have even better stuff now. Or are the resins in it still the best available? I'd love to know more. Maybe NACE will chime in?
Aura has been updated several times since it's launch, just in case you're not aware. When they're making other coatings, they aren't necessarily shooting for the absolute highest performing paint possible to make. I have a feeling that whenever they find something they think is better, they're just going to continue adding it to the Aura line. It's got the name recognition as one (if not the) best paints available, and it would behoove them to run with that rather than continually replace with "the next big thing." They have the foresight to know that sticking to known labels is better than throwing a new product at consumers every week in the long run.

Since the resins are all in-house rather than purchased from other vendors as is the case with most other major companies, it's highly likely they're the best available with current technology, and I'd assume again that if they ever find something better it'd just be added to the line.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (03-14-2015), Damon T (03-14-2015), roygones (03-15-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I've had good luck with the matte myself. Both on jobs with heavy patch work and small scale NC drywall. Seeing what one full coat of Aura can do on a wall helps me understand a little more why BM doesn't list the use of a primer as a recommended system on the TDS. It's hard to see what a primer step would add to it.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
PRC (03-14-2015), wje (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 80
Thanked 4,709 Times in 3,176 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodford View Post
Regarding this, it's interesting to note that unlike most paint and tint systems, Benjamin Moore mixed with Gennex tints hides better with darker colors than with lighter colors- the opposite of every other tint system in the world afaik. So if you're real worried about hide, a slightly darker color can help a bit more.

Aura has been updated several times since it's launch, just in case you're not aware. When they're making other coatings, they aren't necessarily shooting for the absolute highest performing paint possible to make. I have a feeling that whenever they find something they think is better, they're just going to continue adding it to the Aura line. It's got the name recognition as one (if not the) best paints available, and it would behoove them to run with that rather than continually replace with "the next big thing." They have the foresight to know that sticking to known labels is better than throwing a new product at consumers every week in the long run.

Since the resins are all in-house rather than purchased from other vendors as is the case with most other major companies, it's highly likely they're the best available with current technology, and I'd assume again that if they ever find something better it'd just be added to the line.
Most of the product changes lately have been to update products to use the Gennex colorants. You aren't supposed to use the old product lines with the newer gennex colorants or visa versa, although I never could find out why. Again from my limited paint chemical knowledge, I believe it has something about the chemical dispersant used. I "think" they took a very concentrated dispersant out of the colorant to maximize the low voc properties of the colorant, then put a much less concentrated dispersant in each can of paint. Again this is my "big foot" type theory, so don't spank me if I'm wrong.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I don't know why either but it makes a big difference. I got a gallon of exterior Aura one time that accidentally got tinted with the old tints. It was terrible, wouldn't cover at all and the sheen was compromised. Was supposed to be low luster but it turned out flat.

Btw, what is the old BM tint system called? I've been trying to think of the name all morning. Seems like it starts with a "t".
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #20
wje

This job is a building of dorms for a really expensive private school. Paint was specced because the house keepers have been having major problems with midgeade paint wiping rigt off the walls. We didn't spec the paint, just using. What we were told. No system was specced so we have it a whirl.

On a side note, a dorm room being repainted over existing eggshell uses exactly 1.5 gallons where a new rooms walls take exactly 2 full gallons of aura. Both 2 coats. The extra $33 I spend on material is cheaper than a gallon of primer, and the labor to apply it. In this case I am saving money and time by spending more on material.

Paint used to date after 7 days here is 50 gallons of eggshell on walls, and 14 gallons of Matt on ceilings. My dealer had tp to be loving this job at $67/ gallon my price.

The Following User Says Thank You to wje For This Useful Post:
Damon T (03-14-2015)

Tags
None