Fine finish spray tips. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree4Likes

Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 526
View Zoomer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Fine finish spray tips.

Last week we had an entire wall of custom-made bookshelves and entertainment center for a client.
It was primarily built from MDF stock. We speceded out advance semi gloss for this project. We had determined that we would be using XIM uma primer.
After all the prep work had been completed we started to spray out the doors with a Graco fine finish tip.
The tip was practically brand new and had only two gallons of paint put through it. I am using my Tritech 7 spray pump for this project. Pressure was at about 1800 psi. Testing the pressure back and forth until the fingers on the spray pattern went away. Unfortunately even with the new tip, both filters on the pump were cleaned and no debris inside them, all of the primer was brand new and had been strained, no other variables to allow for problems, and still we had large fingers on each side of our spray pattern with the pressure turned nearly all the way or all the down or anywhere in between . We decided to spray the doors anyway with this tip. They look like crap with the primer being sprayed. I have discovered that Graco tips have turned to mush and are no longer as good as they used to be. Right out of the package we experience these terrible fingers with most of their tips regardless of size. Without fail every time we buy a new tip we change out the gaskets on the tip guard as well. I do believe it is the manufacturer that no longer manufactures a good tip. Others will chime in and disagree with my statement. I will say this as far as the quality of Graco. 212 fine finish tip placed 14 inches away from the surface gave us a five and a half inch pattern with heavy fingers during the spray. We switched tips to a worn-out Tritech 211 regular orifice tip. No fingers and half pressure on the pump gave us an excellent result. On Saturday October 30th we sanded everything down and got ready to spray everything with advance semi gloss. The night before I had called around to our local Benjamin Moore shop and had discovered that they were out of Tritech fine finish tips. I then called my local tri tech rep, he took the time to meet me and gave me a fine finish tip at no cost. The next day using this tip was amazing. As always I changed the gaskets on the tip guard and at about 3/8 pressure tested the pattern. The pattern was completely flawless and it measured a true 4 inches at 10 inches away from the surface. I sprayed out two coats of advance, letting it dry in between coats. This was the first time I had sprayed advance with a Tritech fine finish tip. I have sprayed hundreds of gallons of advance with Graco fine finish tips and have noticed that no matter what I am always left with at least a couple of runs after the first coat. When I inspected the first coat using the Tritech fine finish tip I noticed that I had one very small run on such a large project. These built-ins were some wide open areas and a lot of tight little boxes that required quickly spraying as to not to get too much paint on the surface. Most guys know that with advance there is going to be some runs no matter what. It is the most stubborn paint on the market. But it is an excellent product after it has dried. What I concluded is that Tritech is far superior to Graco. The pumps and the tips are really head and shoulders above Graco. I did speak to my local Graco Rep and explain to him my findings. Of course he disagreed and thought that I was doing something wrong not to achieve results with Graco. I mention to him that I have given Graco the benefit of the doubt with several new tips over the past months. The results are the same with every new tip out of the package. Heavy fingers and a subpar results. Tritech is flawless immediately with the first trigger pull. No longer will I use Graco, I will only use Tritech because my results speak for themselves. We have noticed since switching from Graco pumps to Tri tech, we use less paint and our results have been vastly improved ever since. I am fully confident of spraying Advance regardless of the situation since I now use Tritech fine finish tips exclusively. We pride ourselves on knowing how to spray having been taught by father and grandfather who sprayed as well. They to used Graco pumps since the late 60s. This was my very first tri tech pump and I will never go back to Graco. Tritech is engineered far above any other pump. No I am NOT a spokesman for Tritech, but I am pissed off at how much Graco has gone downhill over the years.
Graco no longer matters to me and I will only recommend to anybody who wants to achieve excellent results with less effort, Tritech is the way to go.
paintguy80 and craftednorth like this.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zoomer For This Useful Post:
Danahy (11-02-2015), Ohio Painter (11-08-2015), slinger58 (11-01-2015), The Cutting Edge (11-01-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

Made me wonder is all. Who even makes em or where they come from. I don't buy em. We use these.http://www.asmcompany.com/asm/asm.ns...ble+Spray+Tips

If anybody ever wondered, they're fine. As far as I am concerned.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #3

Tri tech is made in America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #4

Have used Asm. Tritech is far superior.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Titan FF tips work fine and are cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
Clearlycut (11-01-2015), PremierPaintingMa (11-02-2015), Wolfgang (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,153 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Glad you brought this up, Zoomer. I've had similar experience with Graco tips over the past few years. I'll have to check out Tritech.
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 114
View The Cutting Edge's Photo Album My Photos

I use titan ff tips. Ive had several do the same thing you're talking about with the graco tips. I probably get 1 in 4 or 5 that finger badly and you can't hardly get them out no matter how high the pressure. Ive had more this year do it than I can remember in previous years. Thanks for the post. I'll give them a try. Ive wandered how good the asm ff tips were but no one here stocks them.
The Cutting Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 252
View canopainting's Photo Album My Photos

If you're using a fine finish tip you might try thinning the finish coat slightly
canopainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #9

Thinning Advance is a terrible idea. It is the tips not the paint
Old 11-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #10

Actually , Titan tips are half as good as Tritech.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #11

My challenge to all is to clear your mind of your preferred tip.
Have a friend or coworker wrap masking tape around the tip of choice after it has been put into the tip guard, then determine which brand of tip you are spraying with without actually seeing the color or brand marks on the tip. Do the same with a tritech tip. Make sure that it is an even playing field by using the same size tips on the same type of surface with the same type of paint. I did this test between three different brands and there was no comparison. Tritech by far blew the competition away. I could not determine which tip was which based on them being covered with tape. I just looked at the results and took the masking tape off to reveal that Tritech without prejudice or bias is the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomer For This Useful Post:
Tonyg (11-18-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

I'll have to try some tritech this week or early next. See how it goes.

I'm always open to new stuff. I've seen their pumps and used their guns. Good stuff, no doubt about it.

I've been told that the primary founders came from Graco and the other from Titan. Knowing the pros/cons they set out to improve and make better pumps/products.
craftednorth likes this.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 252
View canopainting's Photo Album My Photos

Well I just checked out their website and I think I'll buy a couple tips and try am out
canopainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #14

Today, after looking at the built-ins that I sprayed over the weekend, I determined that this is the best that Advance has ever turned out on all of the jobs that I have used it for. This is the first job that I used the Tritech tip in conjunction with Advance. I close my eyes and felt the surfaces whether it was horizontal or vertical surfaces. The finish was baby butt smooth. I attribute the smooth finish to the Tritech tip. I do believe that Benjamin Moore intended Advance to look and feel this good under ideal conditions. With the Tritech the conditions were not ideal yet the results were incredible.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,292
Thanked 1,036 Times in 668 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cutting Edge View Post
I use titan ff tips. Ive had several do the same thing you're talking about with the graco tips. I probably get 1 in 4 or 5 that finger badly and you can't hardly get them out no matter how high the pressure. Ive had more this year do it than I can remember in previous years. Thanks for the post. I'll give them a try. Ive wandered how good the asm ff tips were but no one here stocks them.
Graco has owned ASM for five years or more now. Always been an american company that I know of, not a chinese knock off. Was always considered a lower cost alternative to the big three, or big two nowadays.

I have a few tips that do what you guys talk about, they will tail regardless of the pressure. Usually they only exhibit this at the get go and will even out once some paint is pushed through, but with enamels that might take too long because of the fineness of the paint. Either return them or run some flat through them to grind them down.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
The Cutting Edge (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #16

With Graco ff tips we were running a couple of gallons of flat through them, before using them with enamels.
Tritech is perfect from the start.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomer For This Useful Post:
MikeCalifornia (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 579
View Phinnster's Photo Album My Photos

Zoomed
I was using tri tech tips 15 years ago and agree
They are the balls
Is art still with them do you know
Nice guy
Good stuff
Phinnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

What size gun filters are you using?

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 197
View SprayRepairGuy's Photo Album My Photos

I've been selling Bedford tips in my stores for about 4 years now. My customer prefer them over all others. They are half the price of the Graco or Titan tips and hold up every bit as well as the TriTech tips. The Bedford tips are also made in the USA. Give them a try. I know you'll like them.
SprayRepairGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SprayRepairGuy For This Useful Post:
ElTacoPaco (12-31-2015), slinger58 (11-03-2015), The Cutting Edge (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #20

I do not know Art but maybe someday I will.

Tags
None