Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

fine paints of eaurope doors bubbling

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Seattlepainting 
#1 ·
New doors used their primer, let dry overnight, painted two coats of finish , week later bubbling not in direct sunlight any body got any solutions. Thanks in advance

#7 ·
Intercoat solvent entrapment. Pop a bubble and see where it goes down to. Smell it too. Smell like mineral spirits? What size are bubbles? FPE is more monolithic because the paint is ground to and shaded to a color unless it was a tinted. It has less solvent so it takes longer to dry. Which finish? Which product?

#9 ·
Oil paint that's bubbling can indicate an underlying moisture issue. The stuff just doesn't breathe. But these are new fiberglass doors so that doesn't make sense either.

#17 ·
I've always used FPE on our personal fiberglass doors. I always solvent wipe first. I painted direct to bare. Always used a little of their thinner. Surface temp, dew point, humidity and air temp are always a factor with FPE. The size of the bubbles usually indicates the issue. Large random blisters indicate solvent entrapment. Usually down to the previous coat. Time of day and orientation to the compass effect dry time. If you have a pick that would help. My fiberglass door lasted 10 years in direct sun exposure and never lost its glassy look or color fade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.