Fix for stain job - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cusingeorge
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith

Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 472
View cardgunner's Photo Album My Photos
Default Fix for stain job

So I got hired for a simple deck rail stain job. New construction with cedar wood. My paint supplier suggested and I used BM Arborcoat Semi Transparent tinted to Natural Cedar tone. It is oil based. I first sanded rail with 80 grit to remove mill glaze and second sand with 180 to smooth the finish. I used a natural hair brush and brushed it on. 24 hours later where the temp ranged from 70 to 80 it is still sticky in places and it shows uneven coverage. I blame only myself for the uneven coverage. Now I need to fix it. I read the specs and found no solution. you can see the build on the cut ends. Also one rail feels like it never got finished sanded. It is rough to the touch. Can I sand that smooth and reapply? Fortunately the customer is happy but I'm not.
Attached Thumbnails
Fix for stain job-img_0455.jpg  

Fix for stain job-img_0456.jpg  

Fix for stain job-img_0457.jpg  

Fix for stain job-img_0459.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Arborcoat_Semi_Transparent_Classic_Oil_Finish_328_C328_TDS_US.pdf (69.3 KB, 62 views)
cardgunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 280
View rosespainting's Photo Album My Photos

It could take 3 or so days to dry with temps between 70 and 80, specially if humidity is higher. How hot was it when you applied it? the unevenness looks like it may have started drying, before it had a chance to penetrate.

I have found the semi-trans arborcoat to have a tendency to be blotchy like that. I have been recommending not using semi trans to customers. For what ever reason i have had a lot of trouble with BM semi trans stains. So much so with the latex arborcoat semi trans, that I wont use it any more.
rosespainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rosespainting For This Useful Post:
cardgunner (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosespainting View Post
It could take 3 or so days to dry with temps between 70 and 80, specially if humidity is higher. How hot was it when you applied it? the unevenness looks like it may have started drying, before it had a chance to penetrate.

I have found the semi-trans arborcoat to have a tendency to be blotchy like that. I have been recommending not using semi trans to customers. For what ever reason i have had a lot of trouble with BM semi trans stains. So much so with the latex arborcoat semi trans, that I wont use it any more.
I got it all done by 12 so heat was not an issue.

Is there anything I can do to fix my screw up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,544
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Wipe it down with some lacquer thinner, if it's dry enough, sand it with some 220 and re-apply as necessary. I know nothing about arborcoat or why it would take so long to dry except for high humidity.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
What? Wait.......What?

Rewards Points: 125
View Cusingeorge's Photo Album My Photos

I think 180 grit to too fine for a semi transparent, and your not getting good penetration. What did the Ben Moore guys tell you?
Mr Smith likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cusingeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusingeorge View Post
I think 180 grit to too fine for a semi transparent, and your not getting good penetration. What did the Ben Moore guys tell you?
My BM rep said the same thing. I should have just sanded with 80 grit. Left the surface rough. They also said that is the way to fix it. I can go back resand it at 80 grit and reapply. I don't think the client will want a rough handrail. But that is my rep's recommendation.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
What? Wait.......What?

Rewards Points: 125
View Cusingeorge's Photo Album My Photos

80 grit is better than 60 or 40 grit. It'll be rougher for sure, but doesn't Arbor Coat form a bit of a film anyway? That would mitigate the roughness some I think.

Cusingeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,304
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

The tech sheets don't say this directly but 180 grit is much too fine even interior stuff with old masters and lenmar I stain at 120 grit. Even though its oil that has some penetrating properties because you sanded it so smooth you closed off the wood so you have no penetration. Oil stain sitting right on the surface. You basically made your self a brushed glaze. For exterior 80 grit ideal and 100 grit max. You will find this in the arborcoat 'guide' too.

Start with 40-60grit finish at 80grit.

Fix for stain job-justin_july20001.jpg

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 08-29-2018 at 12:32 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,022
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

I'd wipe it down with some naptha or paint thinner and sand with 80 first and then 100. Make sure the stain is well mixed.
cocomonkeynuts likes this.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 652
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusingeorge View Post

I'd go for 100 grit.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 652
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Go ahead! Ask me again, why I stay away from exteriors, especially decks! Hats off to you guys that get them right & to last!!
I am doing some exterior starting Friday. Just some eaves, fascia and soffits. I'm only doing it because the guy is my best and most frequent customer. He's managed to get me onto exterior work twice now but I turned down his daughter's exterior work.

Last edited by jennifertemple; 08-29-2018 at 05:26 PM..
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 402
View Painting Practice's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
Go ahead! Ask me again, why I stay away from exteriors, especially decks! Hats off to you guys that get them right & to last!!
I am doing some exterior starting Friday. Just some eaves, fascia and soffits. I'm only doing it because the guy is my best and most frequent customer. He's managed to get me onto exterior work twice now but I turned down his daughter's exterior work.
If you must! i get referred happily for interior work but have no idea why people give my card for exterior but they do.
Painting Practice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:22 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,220
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post
My BM rep said the same thing. I should have just sanded with 80 grit. Left the surface rough. They also said that is the way to fix it. I can go back resand it at 80 grit and reapply. I don't think the client will want a rough handrail. But that is my rep's recommendation.
You should have sanded with 4000 grit, (tongue in cheek) if it's good enough for Ferrari's and guitars, then why not a handrail?
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None