Fixing Shoddy Work Part 2 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 122
View jw129943's Photo Album My Photos
Default Fixing Shoddy Work Part 2

I tried to reply to the original thread, but when I went to upload photos, I ran into problems, so I'm starting a new thread.

So, I met with the homeowner today and got a closer look at the cabinets, as well as some backstory on what happened. They bought their home last year, and have been working with a contractor to update it, as it's 20 years old, and hadn't been updated since it was built, and wasn't to their taste. The kitchen had been remodeled 5 years ago, but again, wasn't to their taste, but the cabinets were in good shape, so they opted to paint. The contractor had been doing other work for them, and even though she had thought that she should hire someone who specifically does cabinet work, he assured them he could do the job, but obviously, that wasn't the case.

Not only was the job poorly done from a workmanship point of view, but he apparently ran out of paint, got a second can of paint to finish, and it was the wrong color. So, throughout the kitchen, it's two-toned in many areas, and essentially a hot mess. He said that his sprayer broke midway through (and there are a couple areas that don't look brushed), but overall, it's not good. And the doors were most certainly (poorly) rolled and brushed.

They haven't paid the contractor for this "work", so I'm not sure how that's going to go down. He wants to "fix" them, but they obviously don't want that. It would be nice if we could get him to sand them down to a flat surface, and I could work from there. Being a GC, I'm thinking he has access to better tools to do that portion of the work, but I don't know if that would fly - just my own brainstorming at this point. He did use Advance paint, and it's only been a week since the work was finished, so sanding at this point would make a bigger mess, since the paint is not fully cured.

I'm still debating whether or not to tackle this job. It may not be a HUGE kitchen, but it's definitely a high end home. They are committed to making it right, and I think would be willing to pay what needs to be paid to get the job done. I just need to figure out an amount that would make it worth my time and effort.

From a distance, it looks decent.
Fixing Shoddy Work Part 2-kitchen-before.jpg

Up close, not so much.
Fixing Shoddy Work Part 2-drawer.jpg
Fixing Shoddy Work Part 2-drawer2.jpg

I don't think I made her feel any better by showing her my sample door that is the same color that her cabinets were supposed to be.
Fixing Shoddy Work Part 2-door.jpg

I think it kills both of us a bit that this job could have been much easier and cheaper if they had hired me in the first place.

Jenny
jw129943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
painter extraordinaire

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 1,078 Times in 611 Posts
View Brian C's Photo Album My Photos

give the homeowner a few options.

1/ A scuff back and repaint same colour.
2/ sandpaper it back hard, primer and 2 topcoats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

I still don't think it is that big of a deal to make them cabinets a lot better. Reall nice even. A good sand and spray em off I'd think will look pretty darn good. The color is there. You just got to get the finish dialed in.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 680
View matt19422's Photo Album My Photos

Jenny, I have 2 questions that I would like you to answer:

What would be your methods of remedy to resolve all of the issues?

If you want the GC to sand, does that mean you don't have the equipment or experience to sand them stipple/drip free?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interior & Exterior Painting Serving Montgomery, Delaware & Chester Counties in Pennsylvania

Last edited by matt19422; 10-30-2014 at 07:43 PM..
matt19422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Jeeze, I'm kinda surprised that Advance Can look that bad. Runs you would expect, but not that stipple. He must have gommed it up with the primer.

The prep is going to be the most essential part of this. I would hesitate to rely on someone else, obviously not a good painter, to do that part.

Seems like someone here went through a similar situation not too long ago. Gough maybe.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19422 View Post
Jenny, I have 2 questions that I would like you to answer:

What would be your methods of remedy to resolve all of the issues?

If you want the GC to sand, does that mean you don't have the equipment or experience to sand them stipple/drip free?
While I've never had a mess of a cabinet job like this one before, I've dealt with messy furniture pieces before, and am up to the task. If i do take it on, I'm using it as an excuse to invest in some more equipment that I've had my eye on for awhile now, but couldn't justify the expense. The thing that concerns me most is getting into all of those nooks and crannies, and making sure it all looks uniform once I'm done. I don't have an issue with the need for meticulousness in this job, just trying to figure out how much time it's going to take to do it. Maybe I should use a drippy brush and roller on some sample doors so I can hone my technique...
Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #7

While I've never had a mess of a cabinet job like this one before, I've dealt with messy furniture pieces before, and am up to the task. If i do take it on, I'm using it as an excuse to invest in some more equipment that I've had my eye on for awhile now, but couldn't justify the expense. The thing that concerns me most is getting into all of those nooks and crannies, and making sure it all looks uniform once I'm done. I don't have an issue with the need for meticulousness in this job, just trying to figure out how much time it's going to take to do it. Maybe I should use a drippy brush and roller on some sample doors so I can hone my technique...

If you never did a job like this before, and can't explain how you would correct this job, then maybe you shouldn't bid this job.

Interior & Exterior Painting Serving Montgomery, Delaware & Chester Counties in Pennsylvania
Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 200
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw129943 View Post
Could you ask the HO if you can take one of the doors, prep it to a level you think is needed to get a finished product that you will be happy with and then determine how long it will take to do the entire job?

Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin the Painter For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (10-31-2014), CApainter (10-30-2014), Gough (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
painter extraordinaire

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 1,078 Times in 611 Posts
View Brian C's Photo Album My Photos

Jenny, are you a professional painting contractor ?

Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian C For This Useful Post:
matt19422 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:

If you never did a job like this before, and can't explain how you would correct this job, then maybe you shouldn't bid this job.
I would venture to guess that there are many situations you come across throughout your career that present new challenges you haven't encountered in the past. Does that mean you shouldn't research and ask questions to determine if it's something you're willing and capable of doing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jw129943 For This Useful Post:
The 3rd Coat (10-31-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #11

I see nothing wrong with asking questions or researching...... just hope your honest with the client of your current skill set.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,464
Thanked 9,570 Times in 5,432 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
Could you ask the HO if you can take one of the doors, prep it to a level you think is needed to get a finished product that you will be happy with and then determine how long it will take to do the entire job?
I already suggested this. POST VOIDED
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2014, 07:30 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 16
View Kustom WerK's Photo Album My Photos

Maybe you should consider a time and material approach....

Sent from my iPad using PaintTalk.com
KW
Kustom WerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I would venture to guess that there are many situations you come across throughout your career that present new challenges you haven't encountered in the past. Does that mean you shouldn't research and ask questions to determine if it's something you're willing and capable of doing?
I spend hours on end researching some thing we have never come across.

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with asking questions or researching...... just hope your honest with the client of your current skill set.
This is the best way. Be 100% honest with the home owners. They prefer an honest opinion over some bs.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 800
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Question for the seasoned pros: what if she were to scrape/sand off all the bigger globs and such (fill any resulting divots) and spray a heavy coat or two of a high build primer like XIM Trim Magic, sanded and topped with Advance?

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804 Paint View Post
Question for the seasoned pros: what if she were to scrape/sand off all the bigger globs and such (fill any resulting divots) and spray a heavy coat or two of a high build primer like XIM Trim Magic, sanded and topped with Advance?

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com
That still leaves you having to sand all the details on the shoulders, moulding, etc. Otherwise, the "crispness" of that detail is lost. Some clients don't even notice and for others, it's a deal breaker.
804 Paint (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 673
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,176 Posts
View Steve Richards's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
They haven't paid the contractor for this "work", so I'm not sure how that's going to go down. He wants to "fix" them, but they obviously don't want that.
Maybe you should (at least) suggest they let him try first, before you step in to save the day.
Otherwise you may find yourself sitting next to the HO at the defendants table.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #18

BTW
Not saying the HO wouldn't win if it got legal. But who wants to get involved in that PITA?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Richards View Post
Maybe you should (at least) suggest they let him try first, before you step in to save the day.
Otherwise you may find yourself sitting next to the HO at the defendants table.
I think that would be step one ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #20

If the last guy isn't sure how to fix the problem, there's quite a few things he might Google that could land him on these two threads.

*waving just in case*
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Richards For This Useful Post:
matt19422 (10-31-2014)

Tags
None