follow up to 1st post... starting a business - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
the new guy

Rewards Points: 10
View negan0769's Photo Album My Photos
Default follow up to 1st post... starting a business

hey guys this is a follow up to my first post about starting a painting business.

https://www.painttalk.com/f2/start-up-cost-15662/

Thanks again for all the great advice! I'm starting to put my business together while still working part time. I am buying a truck/van within a month or two and plan to be up and running by spring. I am just begining, but I am excited and confident.. now I have a new fork in the road.

My wife is an interior designer and she is great at it, but wants to quit her job...she is wanting to go at it on her own. Now she has this idea that we should start a painting/interior design business together and I'm just not sure it would work. She believes that there is a middle market which most interior designers don't work with and thats what she hopes to go after (picking colors, finding furniture, window treatments, etc) . I think it could be an interesting niche but how many people want to repaint and hire a designer at the same time? We also are thinking of doing kitchen remodels because our brother in law has an amazing caninet company and the rest of the construction could be subbed with my friends company who I work part time for. Im just not sure... Is this Crazy?? Keep in mind we are both still working part time and dont have plans to get rich quick. we know it needs a lot more planning and thought but do you guys think this is realistic? could it work or do we keep the business' seperate?

-typed on iphone, sorry
negan0769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #2

Location: Way out west where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.
Rewards Points: 25
View snkd's Photo Album My Photos

It all sounds like a great idea! And yes that does sound like a reasonable niche market. But I would fear mixing all of my friends and wife up in the same business. Imagine the job that just won't end or pay part of this as well. You wont even have a friends couch to sleep on cause you owe him money as well. When the good is going good it's great. But when the bad is getting worse it turns horrible.
snkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 5,746
Thanked 15,416 Times in 8,088 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I'll just weigh in on one aspect of your post.

Since you are starting a new business, it might be prudent for your wife to maintain her current job for now. Having both of you strike out in a new venture at the same time could prove difficult at best. Take it easy, see how things go for you and then have her slowly start to develop what she wants to do in conjunction with your work. As as been stressed on this site before: baby steps.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
prototype66 (12-30-2011), Scotiadawg (12-31-2011), Workaholic (01-22-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
the new guy

@researchhound

I agree with your comment but i should clarify that she will be quitting her job regardless. She comes home in tears everyday bc of her dickhead boss and already has a part time gig lined up for when she quits. I do agree with you about me starting myself and seeing where she can fit in...
Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Negan, I'm just curious, what part of northern Illinois are you in? Just trying to get a feel for your market.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
the new guy

paul glad to hear from you, your response to my initial post really kicked off the conversation and I still plan to contact you regarding PDCA meetings I just am not far enough along yet ... I am in the fox lake/mchenry area.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by negan0769 View Post
paul glad to hear from you, your response to my initial post really kicked off the conversation and I still plan to contact you regarding PDCA meetings I just am not far enough along yet ... I am in the fox lake/mchenry area.
I remember now.

I would think there is enough of a demand in your market for what you want to do. But I'm also in the same boat as researchhound regarding you and your wife teaming up. My gut tells me to get the painting biz up and running first, and then try out working with the wife. I would hate to see the stress (and everything that comes with it) of a new business venture affect your marriage.

Tags
None