Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Fun with floors

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  slinger58 
#1 ·
Does anyone else get called on to paint designs on floors? Did this border around the base cabinets in a kitchen last week. It's an interesting break from walls and ceilings.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
A little background; the floor already had a painted border of blue and black squares made to look like tile on a typical 90 (should have taken before pics :blink:). I had put that on about 10+ years ago. The owner was just ready for a change and wanted to get rid of the blue and go with the look of tiles set on a 45. He didn't want to expand the width of the border (9" from the edge of the shoe mold), just change the blue to a brownish color and set the black "tiles" in a diamond pattern.

That led me to figuring out what size square has a 9" diagonal. I figured it out by drawing two perpendicular lines and measuring 4.5" from the point of intersection and then measuring between those two points. But it kinda bugged me that I couldn't remember how to do it mathematically. I mean, I've only been out of high school around forty years or so, right? Later on it popped into my head that asquared + bsquared = csquared.
For those keeping score, the square root of 40.5 is the correct answer (6 3/8")

Sorry, Pete. I digressed a bit, but you did ask for details.:jester:

To the painting part. The standard clean, sand, wipe with deglosser. Prime with XIM. Paint a band of "field" color (brown).

Using 6 3/8" squares cut from heavy poster board, lay out the pattern, tracing in pencil. Using low tack tape to lay in the black diamonds. Both colors were painted with flat interior latex. Topcoated with 4 coats of water-borne floor poly.

Total working time on this was maybe 12-14 hours spread over a 5 day span.
We were doing other work there, but it would take a 4-5 day span to allow for the drying between coats.

In starting this thread, I was hoping to see some more floor painting pics and ideas.

#12 ·
I helped my buddy do this on his deck. He's a car painting guy.
He taped it and did the outside staining. I just did the inside pattern and provided some tools. It's on his Facebook.

He was trying to match the pattern off the back of old timely outdoor metal furniture.
It's not real symmetrical, but he says if doesn't matter because its 'folk art.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.