Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Garage floor coating.

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  NACE 
#1 ·
We are in the process of putting a garage floor coating system down, we bought 9lbs of color flakes only to have the HO deside he wants it on much heavier, well 9lbs did 1 1/2 bays, not good for the last day on that job, we just ordered 15lbs more flakes. Next day shipping alone is over $100 go figure.
For a 2 bay we usually use 1-2lbs but this 3 bay is getting a very heavy flake put down.

#5 ·
We used a beach sand tone base coat, the flakes are a mix of light blues and white, picturing it in my mind I didn't like it but after doing one bay I must say it looks good, if we stayed with lighter sprinkle I don't think it would have looked as good. Normally I like to use a mid-light sprinkle 1-2lbs worth.

#4 ·
Top coat is an Aliphatic gloss from Corotech, we put the base coats down (2 coats) put the clear and flakes at the same time, we roll out small sections and add the flakes, grab a second roller and roll over the flakes to press them into the clear coat, then top off with 1 more clear coat. This garage just got trickier, the HO now wants us to put the letter "C" in the middle of the floor in the middle bay, the "C" is the first letter in his last name. He has a custom mixed blend and wants us to use, using "tan mix" (shelf bought) on just the letter and his custom mix around the letter C. This will be tricky to figure out on how to do it but we have an idea.

#16 ·
Here is a link to the pictures of the finished garage floor coating. We just put the letter "C" down today.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.427043207413002.1073741837.141180039332655&type=3
Looks good! I have yet to mess around with these garage floor coatings, mostly because of the amount of prep work involved.

Now did you have to machine-grind the garage floor using a Diamabrush or similar tool? Or just pressure wash and acid etch? I'm thinking about using my personal garage which could use a nice finish as the guinea pig.

#13 ·
There is really no way to estimate how much flakes will be needed, on a 2 bay we used 7 ounces, on another we used 20 ounces, it all depends on how heavy the HO wants it. We have done alot of custom color floors the HO didn't want to fully cover, I like the look of less than a total coverage.

#17 ·
We always machine sand, the acids are not good enough. These floors are as simple to paint as a wall is. To fully grind/scuff the floor a 1 bay garage is roughly 2-4 hours, repairs who knows depends on the cracks. Over all a 1 bay takes us from start to finish 8-10 hours.

#19 ·
Prep

Cuddos on the machine prep. Nothing works as well regardless of what the next guy says. I always tell my guys that you get one shot at prep. After it fails, plan on pulling out your pocket book. Im glad to hear that good ol' fashioned craftsmanship is still alive and well.

Have you ever done a quartz floor? Those are the Schnitz!

#20 ·
I have been doing a lot of diamond grinding instead of shot blasting on residential garage floors Shot blasting is great but leaves corn rows. Diamond grinding with 6 grit diamonds leaves a surface profile equal to CSP 3 (International Concrete Repair Institute Surface Profile #3) I will build a system with primer @ 2 mils DFT, 100% Solids at 8 mils and Aliphatic Clear at 2-3 mils. I have done a full broadcast to saturation with colored aggregate using a Dura Flex system. Extremely hard and durable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.