garage floor please help - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View paintslinger's Photo Album My Photos
Default garage floor please help

I have a garage floor problem. I had a garage floor that need to be painted a year ago. The floor had failed I scraped up anything that would come up primed and painted with water base epoxy. I use the wb because i did a test on the floor with xylene and it just melted the paint. I explained to the builder that the floor needed to be stripped or we couldnt warranty it . He said dont worry just paint it not to mention it was a freebie. So the floor is failing again a year later? Was thinking of taking 4000 psi of water to it and get anything that will come up. Then putting a two coat epoxy over it and call it done. I will of course spot prime all the raw spots. Any suggestions ??
paintslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #2

A oil base clear can go over wb epoxy??
Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

if there is traffic on it, you gotta do it right for it to hold up. That means use a decent product, but first you gotta get that failing coating off, and then prep it right. If you don't know what "right" means, I can't help.

P.S.
You must have done something wrong, or there is a problem with the slab having too much moisture for it to have failed a year later. I guess one thing is, you got to use a product designed for a garage floor. I don't know of any normal paint that will hold on, much less a pos two part wb epoxy from lowes...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TJ Paint; 09-16-2009 at 08:05 PM..
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Do they want you to put a band-aid on it or fix it properly? I can tell you how to do both.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Paint to ride!

Rewards Points: 150
View BenPaintinTooLong's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=paintslinger;92478]. I explained to the builder that the floor needed to be stripped or we couldnt warranty it . He said dont worry just paint it not to mention it was a freebie.quote]

Why are you re doing it?

It is expensive to advertise, but who can afford not to! P.T.Barnum
BenPaintinTooLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #6

I am doing it to keep the builder happy a 7.00 a ft u really dont want him looking elsewhere I would like to fix it minus stripping the floor. To be honest never stripped a floor. Also the driveway is pavers so i dont want wet paint scrappings on it I am taking a moisture test tom
Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintslinger View Post
I am doing it to keep the builder happy a 7.00 a ft u really dont want him looking elsewhere I would like to fix it minus stripping the floor. To be honest never stripped a floor. Also the driveway is pavers so i dont want wet paint scrappings on it I am taking a moisture test tom
7.00 a sqft!!! Is that for interior work? Or is that 7.00 a sqft for garages?

I would have the concrete tested. You might have to have the floor grinded after you strip it.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25
View MR.X's Photo Album My Photos

what was the original material applied? was the floor etched or prepared?
if it wasnt properly prepared from the get go nothing you will put on it will ever hold...id check moisture ,and if theres a bare spot check on how smooth it is...should feel like 100 grit sand paper it surface profile is correct..

and there are some wb epoxies that will hold up very well in that enviroment...just have to have the proper prep work..
MR.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #9

7.00 is for whole house minus garage The floor was pealing when i was told to epoxy it
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
7.00 is for whole house minus garage The floor was pealing when i was told to epoxy it
That is some damn good money per sqft. For that kind of fee I would find a solution to the garage problem. Did you get it tested yet?
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

$7 a sq ft? Need any help?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #12

The floor is only failing where the cars are driving over them of course Its a three car garage How much of a pain in the asp is it to strip ?? I work in Orlando in a neighborhood where Shaq and Tiger Woods lives. Trust me that 7.00 dont go far.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #13

i taped plastic to the floor to see if there was any moisture. There wasnt
Old 09-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Bead blast it up & start over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #15

As i said before the floor was failing year and half ago and then we scraped and scraped then put some bs wb epoxy that was suggested the first coat pretty sure was a epoxy it was really brittle and when i put xylene on it the paint gummed up Now what is failing is the wb stuff we put down but it isnt all the way to raw slab.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #16

bead blaster doesnt mess up the slab ?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #17
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
bead blaster doesnt mess up the slab ?

Yes and no. It will strip the coating, and profile the floor for new epoxy. If you were to bead blast and not re-coat, yes the floor wouldnt look right.

Another thought, if you stripped the floor down, then acid stained the floor. There would be no film to lift, and it looks pretty sweet.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #18
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

Ive rented a commercial floor sander with some heavy duty paper that took wb epoxy off. It took me two hours to sand a two car garage. First floor I laid I didn't prepare correctly and had to sand it up. I haven't had any problems since. Sand and ETCH!
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #19
workin

Rewards Points: 250
View painting247's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I have a garage floor problem. I had a garage floor that need to be painted a year ago. The floor had failed I scraped up anything that would come up primed and painted with water base epoxy. I use the wb because i did a test on the floor with xylene and it just melted the paint. I explained to the builder that the floor needed to be stripped or we couldnt warranty it . He said dont worry just paint it not to mention it was a freebie. So the floor is failing again a year later? Was thinking of taking 4000 psi of water to it and get anything that will come up. Then putting a two coat epoxy over it and call it done. I will of course spot prime all the raw spots. Any suggestions ??
How'd that work out for ya? Epoxy over epoxy (2 coats) can you do that? What kind of primer did you use? WOW xylene "melted it"? Have you had to go back grind off EVERYTHING and start fresh?

facebook

A job can be where you go to work
or where you come to LIFE.
painting247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #20
Epoxy Dude

Rewards Points: 500
View Wolverine's Photo Album My Photos

The existing coating melted because it is a thermoplastic. Thermoplastic paints form a film due to the evaporation of solvent. The addition of solvent after 'drying' will re-dissolve the thermoplastic resin.

A floor like this should be diamond grinded with PCD diamonds. Regular diamonds will simply gum up... Then a proper system needs to be installed.

Take a look at what DIYers are doing with our materials:
http://www.wolverinecoatings.com/for...showtopic=1035

http://www.wolverinecoatings.com/for...showtopic=1278

Last edited by Wolverine; 10-29-2009 at 05:20 PM..
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolverine For This Useful Post:
Paul_R (10-30-2009)

Tags
None