General Contractors - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 6 Post By Mr Smith
  • 1 Post By MikeCalifornia
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By Gymschu

Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View RedDesertPainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default General Contractors

So I get a call from a general for painting. It’s the 2nd time he’s called me about different jobs. The first time I told him a sq ft price and he said “is that what you charge contractors?” The most recent he told me whatever my bid will be he is adding $1,500. I get the fact he needs to make money but he then calls me after I give him a verbal $ amount and asks if I can discount. My price is very competitive. I usually don’t work with contractors for this reason. What do you all do in this situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedDesertPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2018, 09:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 194
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDesertPainting View Post
So I get a call from a general for painting. It’s the 2nd time he’s called me about different jobs. The first time I told him a sq ft price and he said “is that what you charge contractors?” The most recent he told me whatever my bid will be he is adding $1,500. I get the fact he needs to make money but he then calls me after I give him a verbal $ amount and asks if I can discount. My price is very competitive. I usually don’t work with contractors for this reason. What do you all do in this situation?

If you do not need the work, do not take the job...not worth it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 10,330
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

In situations like you describe, I usually won’t work with them either.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,772
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

He sounds like the typical disingenuous greedy POS General contractor.

I mean, I can almost guarantee that you as a painting contractor will not earn a $1,500 profit from the job. Yes, you could earn $50/hr but you will not add a $1500 cherry on top when the dust settles.

Why doesn't he want to lower his $1500 gratuity for using YOU as a plow horse? NO...he expects YOU to lower YOUR net profit for the job.

It's the summer time so we as painters are in the power position. I notice an uptick in GC's calling me these days because they cannot find painters. We don't have to accept crumbs when it's harvest time. And don't believe that they will treat you the same way in the winter. They will expect you to lower your bid because of all the painters out of work. These people are not your friends.

The guy is lying to you. RUN away from this creep.
alan, Gymschu, Brushman4 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 06-14-2018 at 11:27 PM..
Mr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,018
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Most good GC's will add 10-15% of your bid for supervision. If they are adding that much they are screwing over the client.
Brushman4 likes this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 450
View ThreeSistersPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds like you will have to decide if that is a business relationship your willing to take on. Once you agree to any of his terms he will for sure use that for future transactions with you. With any new client whether its a residential customer or general contractor, The first job I do is always full price. There is always risk when you sign a contract with someone and you never know how they are going to be during the work.
ThreeSistersPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #7

View APC88's Photo Album My Photos

I'd tell him politely to get bent.
APC88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 878
View jacob33's Photo Album My Photos

I had one time where a general contractor turned in my estimate for double. I was a 2500 for painting three rooms and a hallway and he turned it in for 5000. This was for walls only. Interesting story how I found out.

This job really did not need a contractor as it was only painting but for what ever reason the homeowner called this one. I had done a couple jobs for the general contractor before but not many. Well needless to say we did not get the job and I knew the painter that did and was talking to him about it at the paint store. He said the homeowner showed him the proposal for 5,000 and wondered why I was so expensive to paint a few rooms.

I can see if I had underbid it the contractor would try to make money or protect against coming back needing to ask for more money but to double a bid come on if you think I am that low you need to ask before you turn in the estimate. I asked him about it. He said he needs to make money too.

jacob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 4
View RedDesertPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks guys, I too had another contractor add “double” to a bid and watched someone else paint it. As for this job I did give a very near full price bid I know the GC we worked together on another project but I wasn’t in contract with him we had separate jobs from a realtor. Anyway I’m going to give him a chance. I’d like to have a couple decent contractors call me in times of need. It’s crazy busy here in Utah and in my county I watch GC’s cycle through “handymen painters” and always end up calling back the licensed guys.

RedDesertPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob33 View Post
I had one time where a general contractor turned in my estimate for double. I was a 2500 for painting three rooms and a hallway and he turned it in for 5000. This was for walls only. Interesting story how I found out.

This job really did not need a contractor as it was only painting but for what ever reason the homeowner called this one. I had done a couple jobs for the general contractor before but not many. Well needless to say we did not get the job and I knew the painter that did and was talking to him about it at the paint store. He said the homeowner showed him the proposal for 5,000 and wondered why I was so expensive to paint a few rooms.

I can see if I had underbid it the contractor would try to make money or protect against coming back needing to ask for more money but to double a bid come on if you think I am that low you need to ask before you turn in the estimate. I asked him about it. He said he needs to make money too.

Yeah but for what? $2,500.00 is an awful lot for finding a painter! 10-15% seems reasonable but $2,500 is crazy. Why should he get that much for basically connecting the OP and his "client". (or mark as they would call it in the underworld.)
Gymschu likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
He sounds like the typical disingenuous greedy POS General contractor.

I mean, I can almost guarantee that you as a painting contractor will not earn a $1,500 profit from the job. Yes, you could earn $50/hr but you will not add a $1500 cherry on top when the dust settles.

Why doesn't he want to lower his $1500 gratuity for using YOU as a plow horse? NO...he expects YOU to lower YOUR net profit for the job.

It's the summer time so we as painters are in the power position. I notice an uptick in GC's calling me these days because they cannot find painters. We don't have to accept crumbs when it's harvest time. And don't believe that they will treat you the same way in the winter. They will expect you to lower your bid because of all the painters out of work. These people are not your friends.

The guy is lying to you. RUN away from this creep.

^^^^^THIS is definitely a top 5 post of all time on here^^^^
thinkpainting/nick likes this.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 428
View Worker Bee's Photo Album My Photos

I dont work for GC's Get me the owner... I want to deal soley with the owner... besides they know colors, finishes, ect... I flat out refuse to work for GC's

Ill tell you a little story...

I worked for a GC once... and my bid came in at 8K (too low)... he argued 6K and I did it for 6...

the job took 3 months, which I did primarily myself... after which, gas, material, (not counting OH, I made less than $0.50 cents an hour.

That job, nearly bankrupted me.

I applied for social programs, to heat my house that year... I did the job and completed it, and got paid... my bids from the contractor - I never got any more work from him... Today? that paint job would be bid at atleast $15,000. I used Freshstart oil and impervo oil on all trim... and duration on all walls and ceilings... I lost my ass.. I had to borrow money from family to keep gas in my truck....

Never again. I will NEVER work for a GC ever.

When they call, I tell them $5 a foot... usually ends the conversation pretty fast.
Worker Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 878
View jacob33's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
[/COLOR]

Yeah but for what? $2,500.00 is an awful lot for finding a painter! 10-15% seems reasonable but $2,500 is crazy. Why should he get that much for basically connecting the OP and his "client". (or mark as they would call it in the underworld.)

That was my point when I asked him why he added so much. I am not defending him at all. It cost me and him the job. If he had added 500 instead of 2500 I'm sure we would have gotten the job. Its crazy sometimes what people try to get away with.

jacob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 26
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Scuzzy, be glad the job fell through and do not consider any work for this AH again! I would think with greed like that there might also be an issue of collection on the back end.

In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 428
View Worker Bee's Photo Album My Photos

You can lose, and lose BIG with GC's talking with other painters at SW, they have a very sour taste for GC's from not getting paid to trying to make them lose money so the GC makes money...

no thanks...

Speaking of which, I saw the GC I worked for some 7+ years ago, his truck at HD.. checked the registration, a 2017 F450 16' cube van... Saw him in the store, he asked if I want more work (cause im cheap) my response: I am probably too expensive for your budget... havent heard from him since
Worker Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:34 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,016
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

GC's, especially the bigger they are, love to get small contractors to bid their work. They're like Vultures circling above, waiting to dive in for the kill.
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None