Giving Up on Festool - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree26Likes

Old 06-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,209
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos
Default Giving Up on Festool

I placed 5 orders for supplies for my RO 90 DX, 3 are on back order, half the stuff on the 4th is on back order, I cancelled 1. They take all of the money whether or not they can ship and I'm getting fed up. None of the Ontario dealers seem to carry a full line of product. A great tool is not so great if you can't use it for want of supplies!
CApainter likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12
View mdZX's Photo Album My Photos

Ill ask...What is Festool?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
mdZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 890
Thanked 9,531 Times in 5,399 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post

I placed 5 orders for supplies for my RO 90 DX, 3 are on back order, half the stuff on the 4th is on back order, I cancelled 1. They take all of the money whether or not they can ship and I'm getting fed up. None of the Ontario dealers seem to carry a full line of product. A great tool is not so great if you can't use it for want of supplies!
When it comes to grinding, sanding, vacuuming, and fastening, I just want something that works and is conveniently available. I stopped using my Festool equipment some time ago because getting replacement pads and vacuum filters
became a challenge for my supplier.

I prefer to go to my local Big Box. They have it all!
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (06-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdZX View Post
Ill ask...What is Festool?

"Fine" German made tools:
https://festoolshop.ca/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
Old 06-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 12
View mdZX's Photo Album My Photos

Wow! Very Pricey. Now I know! Thank you!

mdZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 10,106
Thanked 15,340 Times in 8,031 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Love mine and with three outfits in town selling them there is no shortage of replacement parts, paper, bags, etc..

When you decide to sell yours off, I’m sure someone in your area will snap it up.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:37 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 934
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Sherwin is starting to carry them
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Love mine and with three outfits in town selling them there is no shortage of replacement parts, paper, bags, etc..

When you decide to sell yours off, I’m sure someone in your area will snap it up.
No doubt it helps to be state side! I'm fed up and posting everything for sale tonight!

Old 06-12-2019, 05:45 AM   #9
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 961
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Do they work that much better than a Dewalt orbital sander?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 441
View mattpaints82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Do they work that much better than a Dewalt orbital sander?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
IMO, yes, yes they do. Not only because of the improved dust extraction, they are just a super smooth easy sanders to use. When set up correctly, it takes very little pressure to guide and control the Festool sanders. They also are way less prone to swirling and pig tails.

We just invested in the planex and 36ac. Absolute game changer. Granted we do a lot of drywall repair, and starting to do some texture removal with it.
mattpaints82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #11

The RO 90 DX has the advantage of being small and duel detail + round padded. I'll never know how well it worked I'm in the process of asking to return it because I have a job to do while all the supplies for the thing sit on back order. Worse, they took the money for all the stuff they could not ship! I'm pretty disgusted today! I just sold my ETS 125 REQ & all parts; I was never happy with it! I need tools I can get supplied, serviced and repaired local. I am so done with Festool!

I do think Festool is over rated.
Delta Painting and Gymschu like this.

Last edited by jennifertemple; 06-12-2019 at 07:39 AM..
Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 441
View mattpaints82's Photo Album My Photos

Mirka also makes great sanders. Would you have any better luck with Mirka supplies in Canada?
mattpaints82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpaints82 View Post
Mirka also makes great sanders. Would you have any better luck with Mirka supplies in Canada?

I could check out availability here and will. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 197
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

@jennifertemple Have you ever ordered from Lee Valley? I believe they’re based in Canadian and they’re known for fantastic customer service and selling high quality wood working tools. Im in the US, but I’ve ordered from them and everything was delivered very quickly.

Compared to sanders sold at big box stores, Festool sanders transmit much less vibration to the user. If you’re ever sanding for long periods of time this is a huge deal. After awhile some sanders make my hands feel numb, but Festool sanders don’t do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattpaints82 likes this.
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Painter View Post
@jennifertemple Have you ever ordered from Lee Valley? I believe they’re based in Canadian and they’re known for fantastic customer service and selling high quality wood working tools. Im in the US, but I’ve ordered from them and everything was delivered very quickly.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee Valley is a Great Canadian Company and I buy a lot from them but here in Canada there are a vast number of Festool accessories they do not stock, especially the high grit papers, polishing pads and similar accessories. My big problem is that for me, everything Festool is ordered online and shipped. If it turns out they do not have a product you pay and wait. It is just too inconvenient when one wants to just run out and grab some supplies.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 736
Thanked 4,461 Times in 2,451 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I just checked amazon.ca and they sell quite a bit of Festool stuff on there. Interestingly, a bunch of their sanding pads are "currently unavailable" and I think the highest grit pads they had were 220 although I don't think I've ever used anything higher than that.

One funny thing was they were selling a cordless hammer drill but the picture was a bright red tea kettle. It was a nice tea kettle though.

Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,062
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

I have heard that there is a shortage of some Festool supplies around here. I guess it's because some crazy lady up in Ontario keeps ordering them. But this kind of thing happens quite often. Everyone wants to sell the big ticket item (the sander itself) but no one wants to stock the supplies. If i were in a bigger market i would keep all that crap in stock! That's actually were the big mark-up is! especially if no one else has the stuff. Let SW sell the sanders for next to no profit!

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,654
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
I have heard that there is a shortage of some Festool supplies around here. I guess it's because some crazy lady up in Ontario keeps ordering them. But this kind of thing happens quite often. Everyone wants to sell the big ticket item (the sander itself) but no one wants to stock the supplies. If i were in a bigger market i would keep all that crap in stock! That's actually were the big mark-up is! especially if no one else has the stuff. Let SW sell the sanders for next to no profit!
PAC, did you ever think about why SW sells them for cheap? It's the same reason you mentioned, the mark up when people come back and buy accessories

It's like a lot of things, like why do most home alarm companies offer free installation or new to your area cable and satellite TV providers. They make most of their money off of monthly fees.
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
I just checked amazon.ca and they sell quite a bit of Festool stuff on there. Interestingly, a bunch of their sanding pads are "currently unavailable" and I think the highest grit pads they had were 220 although I don't think I've ever used anything higher than that.

One funny thing was they were selling a cordless hammer drill but the picture was a bright red tea kettle. It was a nice tea kettle though.

I use 1000 and over, felts, and polishing pads. These are the typical things that are often "out of stock" and on "back order". Though, Festool Canada reached out by phone today. He was pretty confident that a rep he wants to send can solve my supply issues. So, I cancelled my cancellations. I now pray he was correct in his assessment. I guess, that means I'm still into Festool.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,062
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
PAC, did you ever think about why SW sells them for cheap? It's the same reason you mentioned, the mark up when people come back and buy accessories

It's like a lot of things, like why do most home alarm companies offer free installation or new to your area cable and satellite TV providers. They make most of their money off of monthly fees.
I understand that, but that doesn't explain the local two stores' reluctance or inability to stock any accessories. Like i said, if i were in a bigger market i'd be more than glad to do it.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None